Sat nav through DIS

redbull_a2

A2OC Donor
I have a few questions about the sat nav that goes through the DIS unit. As I don't have climate control that has scrapped my plans of doing a retrofit of the double-DIN dash and stereo sat nav. Is it an expensive retrofit? Are the parts readily available ? And is it any good ? There is not much I can do to my A2 now apart from Bose and sat nav .

Do you mean the upgrade to an RNS-E or to the standard A2 sat nav?

The latter is not a great piece of kit by all accounts and in my opinion you would be wasting a lot of money to convert to a double DIN dash and then put that unit in.

But if you are going for an RNS-E conversion, then you can pay just short of £500 for a decent one and you just then need the adapter loom (and the double Din Conversion, if that is possible with a non-climate car ).

Steve B

Thanks. Unfortunately double-DIN for non climate is not possible. I meant the standard A2 sat nav. Think I'll investigate another way to do this might have to go aftermarket head unit with sat nav and contemplating going for aftermarket speakers and amplifier, nothing chavy but just something to compete with the Bose system at a cheaper price. First of all I'll have to find out why only 2 speakers work with an aftermarket head unit.

The latter is not a great piece of kit by all accounts and in my opinion you would be wasting a lot of money to convert to a double DIN dash and then put that unit in.

But if you are going for an RNS-E conversion, then you can pay just short of £500 for a decent one and you just then need the adapter loom (and the double Din Conversion, if that is possible with a non-climate car ).

Steve B

What are you using to connect the rear speakers to the head unit? Have you got a loom adapter as the low voltage signal feeds usually need converting to RCA cables and I can't recall if the factory amp has a switching feed

Hi,

I would concur with the usefulness of it. I had in the past contemplated retrofitting it to my MK1 TT which can only take the basic sat nav but have given up with the idea. You only get turn instructions in the DIS and the routing doesn't seem to be that good at finding its way round complex road systems.

Regarding the double din and digital climate control, you could always consider retrofitting the digital climate control? Given that the dash would have to come out for a dash swap anyway, you would be a lot of the way there to getting to swap the manual control air system for one with electronic control. Although it would be more of a job to add the A/C compressor, heat exchanger and associated plumbing in the engine bay, without that you would still have electronically controlled thermostatic heating and ventilation. I'm not sure what the electronic climate control unit would think if the A/C compressor wasn't there. Whether its viable would depend on how much extra wiring is required as a minimum to make it operate and once the dash is off, how easy it would be to swap the main unit.

Just a thought.

regards

Andrew

Why can't you fit the standard rotary heater controls in the bottom of the double-DIN? You can re-shape the panel so that it fits in the curved recess of the double-DIN - is there something else going on that makes it impossible?

Putting it bluntly, the standard Audi oem satnav that uses the DIS display is bl**dy awful. Any smartphone or portable satnav will give far superior performance and be way cheaper. My 2003 A2 came with standard oem satnav. I would only use it if my Garmin Nuvi expired. On second thoughts, I'd rather use a paper road atlas instead!

Would be interesting. Could be a one off .

Hi,

I would concur with the usefulness of it. I had in the past contemplated retrofitting it to my MK1 TT which can only take the basic sat nav but have given up with the idea. You only get turn instructions in the DIS and the routing doesn't seem to be that good at finding its way round complex road systems.

Regarding the double din and digital climate control, you could always consider retrofitting the digital climate control? Given that the dash would have to come out for a dash swap anyway, you would be a lot of the way there to getting to swap the manual control air system for one with electronic control. Although it would be more of a job to add the A/C compressor, heat exchanger and associated plumbing in the engine bay, without that you would still have electronically controlled thermostatic heating and ventilation. I'm not sure what the electronic climate control unit would think if the A/C compressor wasn't there. Whether its viable would depend on how much extra wiring is required as a minimum to make it operate and once the dash is off, how easy it would be to swap the main unit.

Just a thought.

regards

Andrew

A2 satnav

Steve B

Hi Birchall. Our A2 has the original factory-fit RNS-D system. As you say, not great! However, the selector push key isn't working any more so the nav system is unusable and one cannot change the radio station. I would like a replacement unit but cannot find one anywhere with certainty that it is compatible.

Are you saying it is possible to simply upgrade to the RNS-E unit? Do you have any part numbers for the adaptor loom? Is it a simple in-out replacement, or more complex than that?

Would very much appreciate your thoughts, and many thanks

A RNS-D to E conversion will follow the lines of this 'how to' for a Symphony 2 radio to RNS-E upgrade - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?4556-Retrofitting-RNS-E-from-Audi-Symphony-II
Wiring adaptors are available from Kufatec ( a Google search will take you straight to their English web site)

Other things to consider -
Cheapest option would be to buy a RNS-D unit from an A6 and swap over the front fascia plate from your A2 unit. (Will get you back to a working version of what you already have)
Things get more complicated if you go for a post 2010 RNS-E (ones with a media button) unit as this involves software coding changes of the unit
All RNS-E units will require the front panel trimming per the how to.

Cheers Spike

Back