value without fsh...

mitm

I have asked this question but my posting appears to have been deleted?

I've had my A2 for 3 years and 20k trouble free miles...nearest thing to my MK1 GIt I've driven but as this will be restored soon and I've done 1k miles in the last 10 months its time to pass it on.

When I bought the car I was in-touch with values but 3 years is a long time and my main.problem is that at the last service the garage lost my service book!!

The car is:

1.4 diesel 90, 2004 04, gunmetal grey, light grey interior, 3 seat rear bench, double dis, climate, electric front windows, sports seats with electric lumbar, 17" wheels x 5 (kerbed), 108k, belts replaced 20k ago, serviced 1k ago, mot/tax...

Bad bits:

Missing jacking cover.
Small hole in plastic wheel arch surround.
Missing front belly pan.

I spent a while looking for this car and travelled from London to Nottingham to get this one.

So my question is what value do you guys think, does the missing service history matter on a 10year old car? I may be able to trace some of it from the various labels on the car, including the belt change.

Any guidance would be great as I want to get the car up for sale for this weekend.

Cheers
Malcolm

The past MOT can be found online and this at least will support the mileage.
But IMHO the lack of a service book will reduce the value by ~£500.
Value ~£2500.

Hi Malcolm,

Your original post hadn't been deleted, you've obviously forgotten you piggy-backed off of another post.
I'll delete the original one soon to keep things in order, as starting a new thread for your inquiry is the best idea.

Onto your question.....

Unfortunately the loss of the service book say's far more about the way the vehicle has been serviced than your post.
If a garage looses a service book then alarm bells ring on what else may have been missed, components incorrectly torqued, non-genuine parts used, etc. This is a shame but never-the-less gives an impression of some degree of neglegence on the part of the garage, and this translates into lost return on your investment.

You mention some parts missing or damaged, and the undertray would be something of a concern.
The undertray forms part of the rigidity of the front wings and bumper and not something that is easily lost or damaged, so questions around this missing part really need answering to give a representative guide price - so I think with the info provided I'd value slightly lower than Will at ~£2200

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks for the replies, well I have been out of touch.

As I paid over 5 for the car, looks like I'll be keeping it.

The undertray came loose on the motorway and by the time I could stop the front had rubbed away on the front so always came off at speed so i removed it.

I am shocked that you think a very tidy 90hp diesel is priced this low.

As Jeff has mentioned the negligence of the garage is always a worry. It pains me when they show lack of care for other peoples possessions. Its a shame you don't hold receipts of any work done to back up the history, tragically it is all to easy to buy a stamped service book these days. Clearly you paid good money for the car so the likelihood is that someone else would do the same, put it up for sale at your preferred price and see what the market offers. Its a better position to be in where you don't want / have to sell a car than having to sell it.

I mis-read the title of this thread as "value without fish" and started wondering whether some salmon had gone missing

Some better news, Audi have supplied details of their services and I found a sticker from the garage that did the servicing just before I bought it, including the important cambelt change at 72k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news, in my opinion documented history is worth more than a stamped service book. I never understand why owners spend good money on maintaining cars but destroy the evidence!

Glad to hear that the provenance of the car is improving.

I am shocked that you think a very tidy 90hp diesel is priced this low.

There's maybe some reluctance to comment on this thread as often 'what is my car worth' type posts/threads are sale adverts by any other descriptor which don't comply with the marketplace rules of the forum. For clarity, it was me who removed your post on another members thread for this reason.

I'd agree that the valuations proferred are a bit harsh - but until your most recent post advising you've sourced some of the service history - the car wasn't really inspiring confidence that it was 'tidy' as the loss of a service book is not the end of the world as they are replacable as a duplicate and any work done within VAG franchise can be retrieved from their database and the stamps added by any dealer. I did this with our car - the book wasn't missing but the first service wasn't stamped. I got the detail from Audi UK and sent the book to the servicing dealer for them to stamp it. Patience and time.

Its also no hard to maintain a documentary history of the car in addition to the book for your period of ownership. Open a file in a dark cupboard and add any paperwork for stuff you do on the car each time you pay your hard earned to maintain or improve the car. Instant chronological history that instantly inspires confidence in the potential buyer when you come to sell and supports the 'tidy' description.

Don't get me wrong though. Cars can be and often are bought and sold without history based on condition and the inspection of the buyer. It depends on how fussy they are. But for an enthusiasts forum - most people on here will have preference for the basics to be right - especially to suggest the car is market value, and prices have softened progressively this last 2 to 3 years for all but the most exceptional examples.

The missing undertray has alarm bells going. Its not an uncommon component to get damaged for a variety of reasons but on a TDI especially its necessary for noise suppression and more importantly it forms the rigidity of the wings. The car will be flapping about underneath at speed. For £140 for a new one, I'd consider replacing it as the value of the car will be reduced on an inverse proportional basis in its absence - anyone who knows anything about A2's is just going to think the car is neglected in its absence.
As to value - if you have some history and proof of cambelt now, and its on clean condition, I'd suggest a TDI 90 Sport with 108k miles should fetch the right side of 3k in a private sale, but it all depends on how you present it and how keen you are to sell.

Hope that helps.

Murdo

PS - I edited out your humorous comment about our first minister. No offence and none taken. Lets keep politics out of A2OC please - especially today!! :D

To be honest I still haven't really made my mind up to sell and at these prices I'm still tempted to keep it.

The undertray not much you can do late at night in the rain by the side of the motorway, even with a boot full of cable ties! New one ordered will be here tomorrow.

I'm seeing a couple of dealers at the weekend ,one has a customer waiting for a replacement car.

If only the A2 had 6 gears or an auto there'd be no question of getting rid.

...oh come on :cool:

QUOTE]

Longer 5th gear mod and a remap and it would be a different car for a lot less than you'd pay in a part-ex purchase. Just mho

To be honest I still haven't really made my mind up to sell and at these prices I'm still tempted to keep it.

...oh come on :cool:

There is a proven 6-speed gearbox mod available of course, several members have done it already...

Not sure. It 'aint cheap, but would be a different car and probably cheaper than what you'd lose in the p-x

Hi again Malcolm,

Sorry my (very) rough estimate came as an unpleasent shock, but as has been said, alarm bells start ringing when certain things just don't add up.

If you've ordered a new undertray, do make sure that when it arrives it's for the TDi and not petrol.
The petrol ones are a little bit cheaper, but will not have the sound-proofing.
Also, the undertray will never just fall off. The main reason for them coming loose or detached is that the fixings haven't been put back correctly after a service, or the maintainer hasn't brought to your attention that the fixings are damaged or missing.
From memory there should be 12x T25 screws and speed nuts underneath and 2 x 10mm nuts (one on the inside of each inner wing) holding up the winged edges of the undertray.

For rough guidance a six speed gearbox will cost somewhere around 2K fitted with a new clutch. If this work is being done on a TDi90, then a new DMF would also be advisable while the tranny is out.

Cheers

Jeff

So I decided to keep the car, for the winter at least, stood for 6 months & drove 400 miles perfectly.

I've fitted cameras to all my cars now having been hit twice while stationary and the 'people' have both denied fault, the last one shunted me into a roundabout & claimed I rolled back into him!!

A couple of questions: I've tried to search but internet is very poor here...1 1/2 hours & I give up.
The service hatch Lock appears to have pulled baxk into the casing, it still springs when I shove a screwdriver in. Is this fixable or do I need a new one...

Front undertray, anyine got a diesel one for sale, with the fixings?

Done around 1200 miles since service and i had to top up the oil, should i do a clean through a fresh oil as there was none on the drive?

Thanks

Malcolm

Last edited by a moderator:
The Timing belts depending on how long ago they were done will be due soon enough.
lots of TDI 90 clutches appear to go between 100+120k,so things are looming.
I have had two sets of belts etc since 118K as an example and a clutch dmf etc at the same time.
Mine doesnt have FASH however I just keep all service receipts if done as homers,
its so big I cant keep it in the car anymore.
Value.. upto 3k as the 90 is not such a pariah as the 75bhp owners make out

A couple of questions: I've tried to search but internet is very poor here...1 1/2 hours & I give up.
The service hatch Lock appears to have pulled baxk into the casing, it still springs when I shove a screwdriver in. Is this fixable or do I need a new one...
Hi try spraying with WD40 spray this along with manipulation with the screw driver should have it working good as new. cheers mike

Cheers for the replies, cambelt was done at 76k and clutch still seems strong.

It's had half a can.of wd40 already, see if it works through over night.

The overnight soak will help but if no better, as Sumo suggested, it's the repeated 'working' 'spraying' process which works best to loosen any gunge and flush it out.

Cheers Spike

Back