Flexible DRL's ... progress!

DJ 190

A2OC Donor
I've had soooo much to do, recently! Finally, I've made some progress on my DRL project. So here's a few photos ....

DSCN5489 (Medium).JPG This is the inner reflector

I used greenhouse-glass glazing clips to hold the DRL in place

DSCN5490 (Medium).JPG The headlight shell

DSCN5492 (Medium).JPG A very pleasing effect! Very "modern"!

DSCN5493 (Medium).JPG Indicator option .....

I have used the rear sections from splittable headlights, but the fronts are from normal, sealed headlights. This is the very best option for several reasons! The DRL's were 60 cm long and proved to be the perfect length to do the sides and base .... to the mm! I don't think that I'm going to bother with the indicator option, though .... they are a deep amber colour and I think that they will be a bit "naff"? I could have just the strip -light as an indictor, or both the existing indicator and strip in unison, if I wanted. I have not had to cut-away any part of the existing headlight. The side-light is still there and could either be left working or isolated. The DRL's are fed from the correct pin on the light-switch. As such, they will only operate when the light-switch is in the "off" position. Therefore, the side-lights would still have a function .... I am pleased with the work so far .... the daytime brightness is good and when I do the other headlight, I'm sure that it will look even better and not take as long! I'll provide better photo's, too!

David

That looks fantastic!
Please put up a howto with a list of parts once the job is done.
I think even if the indicators are not used on the strips the strips should switch off when the indicator comes on. Is this possible with the current setup?

John

I love the look, can't wait to see a day-time photo update - did I miss the build up to this thread, have you posted a 'how to'
So inspiring...love it :)

O.K. Just as I had thought, I made great progress on the second headlight and I finished the whole project in a couple of hours! So here's a few more pictures ....

DSCN5494 (Medium).JPG These are the DRL's I used

These are the same type, taken from Ebay :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLEXIBLE-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43cdd26dff (I only paid £20 for mine, though!)

DSCN5495 (Medium).JPG The modified clips used for location

They are stainless - steel and ideal for purpose. Hard to drill, though, so I punched through first!

DSCN5497 (Medium).JPG Daylight, but a bit Sunny!

DSCN5503 (Medium).JPG Side view

Now, my photography could be better, but they do look great and are quite bright in all but strong Sunlight .... I can recommend them. I have wired the indicator feature so that there is every option ... Just the car's indicator, just the DRL tube, or both. I am running both at the moment! My verdict is to have just the car's indicator. There is supplied electronics that isolates the DRL when indicating, by the way, so there is no conflict, there .... I think that using both is a bit "over-the-top" .... even for me! LOL!

So here's what is required :-
A pair of splittable headlights ( 2000-2001 MY ) (You can split the sealed type < I have > , but I am not going to recommend it!)
The flexible DRL's
Glazing clips
Aluminium rivits, 3.15mm x 6mm
Electrical crimps, connectors

Some further notes :- Apart from the live feed to the DRL's, all other connections are made internal in the headlight shell .... neat! The DRL feed is taken from the main light-switch. This means that the DRL's will only operate when the light-switch is in the "off" position .... (as they should) However, there was a period last night when dusk was approaching and I would have liked both DRL's and side-lights. (The side-lights are still fully functional, by the way .... ) At the moment, it's one or the other! Regarding splittable headlights .... never prise the clips away starting from the front (clear) section ... always from the rear! (You will snap the plastic retainer-lip, otherwise!)

I will try edging the headlights with narrow, chrome strip and let you judge if that is worth doing, by showing a photo ... I will also incorporate indicators into the door-mirrors, too. One thing there, though ... the indicators will continue right to the edge of the mirror shell and just not be "Inserts"! Watch this space!

David

Nice work David. Interested in how the indicator repeaters on wing mirrors goes too - that's a good modernising touch I think, as would be puddle lights on the undersides of the wing mirrors too...

Now you just need a "coming home lights" module...

Are all the pins on the headlight connector on the main harness used?
I do not have the wiring diagram to hand but have found that most connectors have at least one hole blanked out.

If there is a blanked out hole in the main wiring plug could you feed your DRL's through this hole?

With the later sealed headlights are they likely to break on attempting to separate them or is it just a terrible pain?

John

Wow!! Looks smashing. I would love to have that on my A2 but dont see myself taking apart the light without braking it.

Great job! Looks top notch.

Are all the pins on the headlight connector on the main harness used?

If there is a blanked out hole in the main wiring plug could you feed your DRL's through this hole?

With the later sealed headlights are they likely to break on attempting to separate them or is it just a terrible pain?

John

I have looked at the plug/socket connection to the complete headlight and there is a redundant pin position (just the one)! So you are right, I could use that pin position to get the DRL feed through to the headlight body. (There is no pin there, at the moment, but I've got 3 scrap headlights and the wiring, too .... so plenty of spares). I would also like to provide another, switchable feed to the DRL's, so that I could have them illuminated even when the side-lights/rear lights are on ( for that period just before total darkness)
Now, splitting the sealed headlights .... I have done this, but, Boy, is it difficult! I used a variable-heat hot-air blower and a range of screwdrivers/levers to steadily prise the sectionbs apart. Inevitably, there will be some distortion to the rear section, but it can be re-molded afterwards. Then you would use silicone mastic to seal. I am not going to recommend this, but it is do-able ....

David

I like the look of this and the results look good and really lift the car into the modern world even more than its ahead of time design.

I am fortunate to have 2 sets of split able headlights so suspect this will be on the cards soon. Did you wire the DRLs directly to the light switch or via a relay? Which pin did you use on the headlight switch and whats the best way to route the wiring into the engine bay?

Did you wire the DRLs directly to the light switch or via a relay? Which pin did you use on the headlight switch and whats the best way to route the wiring into the engine bay?

There is a dedicated pin location on the main light-switch. I can't remember exactly what it's called (it's a while ago when I accessed it), but you will find its identification on the Forum. It has some initials which stand for DFL, in German, and I think that it was position 7 ... Now, there is no actual pin there, so you will have to insert one to use it! Getting the wire from there into the engine bay is rather difficult ..... you will have to run the wire across to the passenger side and then through to the wheel arch on the N/S (You would have removed the under wheel-arch cover, of course.) Then take the wire through at high level to the engine compartment. Route around to the higher front member, ready for connection to the headlights .... Again, searching the Forum for the appropriate thread(s) will give you all this information .... and more! Best of Luck!

David

David,

How about ordering the "eco mode" button from the 1.2Tdi that sits in the gearstick surround and wiring this to the TFL cable somewhere further downstream to enable a switch that would enable the DRL to be turned on even when the light is taken out of the 0 position?

Probably not so simple but it seems that it could work...

Also like this you could survive with the single live feed to the DRL on the headlight end.

John

A few more photo's of the headlights with a 6mm chrome surround .....

DSCN5514 (Medium).JPG

DSCN5515 (Medium).JPG

DSCN5516 (Medium).JPG

DSCN5517 (Medium).JPG

DSCN5513 (Medium).JPG

I'm fairly confident that this 6mm wide chrome styling tape will stay in place! I've used it around the number-plate and lower grill, at the front of the car, and it's never even partially detached! I could go round the rear-light clusters, too! ( I've got an 8 metre roll of this stuff! Anyway, what do you think of this "mod", please?

David

DRL's are awesome ! :)

But not fan of the chrome tape... (on your headlights, and in general too)

That's what is great about this one model club. People feel the need to modify or improve to make theirs more individual.

Back