Loud clatter but not an outcome I was expecting . . .

YorkshireHill

A2OC Donor
Driving along a smooth, straight road at 30 mph and I suddenly experienced an alarming clattering sound from the front of the car. Stopped to inspect and nothing found underneath so I called out RAC. Started to compose my post genuinely fearing that this might be a serious repair and a significant point in my eleven year history with the car . . .

RAC arrived promptly and eliminated problems within minutes under the bonnet. Rotating one front wheel caused the sound again - I'd describe it as if a piece of metal had become entangled in the wheel.

The fault was a small piece of gravel wedged between the brake disc and the metal plate behind?

Happy to be driving off again with the problem solved. Curious to know why would this not happen more often? Have I just been lucky in the past not to have had this experience before?

Reactions: chb
The first time this happens to you it is an alarming experience!
It is such a loud mechanical noise you are convinced it is a major failure. It must have been a relief when you found the cause. Did the RAC guy comment on how common this is?

It has happened to me occasionally and whilst you quickly get to recognise it, it is still alarming and you worry it is something different.

Like you it surprises me that it does not happen more often. I park on a gravel drive and it rarely happens, it must be a specific set of circumstances that causes the stones to get behind the wheel and also to 'fall' into the gap between the disc and the back plate.

Geoff

Happened to me a couple of times...different noise each time, sometimes a scrape, sometimes a squeel, sometimes a rumble. Common factor is that it starts suddenly and does not go away with the clutch pressed. I get rid of mine by flexing the disc cover a little to try and let the rock fall and then driving on a dual carriageway where the speed helps get rid.

Happened to me too. Sounded like somebody was using a grinder under the car when it was moving

I have a gravel drive. Not had it happen to the A2 in the 16 months of ownership but a few times in the Passat estate, Reversing when it has happened has cleared it for me. Sure it can be a frightening experience and it can score your disc if they are granite chippings as mine are.

Ironically this happened to me last week. But it took 3 days at an Audi main dealer before I had it back... (mostly because they were busy to be fair). It was a scraping noise, worse in reverse.

Thank you for the interesting replies

Geoff - RAC guy commented that he hadn't seen this happen on an A2 - but now we know it definitely has!

Conrad - Think I would now recognise the symptoms if this reoccurs but don't think I'd be brave enough to take it up to speed on a dual carriageway to dislodge the stone

Would it be a good idea to have the brake disc checked for damage?

Thanks

Hilary

The disc is not likely to be damaged. Even if it gets a little scored this won't appreciably affect braking so I (personally) would not give it a second thought. Garages love to diagnose scored discs...its an easy £200 for them to fit new brakes. I tend to replace my discs myself whenever I fit new pads, they are only £20 a disc to buy, so for £70 I can have new (quality) pads and discs.

... Conrad - Think I would now recognise the symptoms if this reoccurs but don't think I'd be brave enough to take it up to speed on a dual carriageway to dislodge the stone ...

Absolutely ... if it turned out to be something else (such as a disintegrating wheelbearing about to seize) it could cause a lot of damage. Best to be cautious.

Happened to us too, sounded terrible. We were once convinced we had a flat front tyre which turned out to be a six inch piece of duct tape stuck to the tyre and slapping against the wheel arch!

Very loud notice and grinding noise from front wheel

Its happens to me twice, Extremely loud noise followed by grinding noice, I was convinced that front wheal bearing or CV joint broken to peaces!
, I check wheels every things is fine. Noise lasted about 5 miles of driving home each time, but next morning noise is gone, I went to kiwift to check and got clean bill of health.
I am hoping remove rust around break disk to avoid this again .

Back