Registration of a foreign vehicle in the Netherlands

John L

A2OC Donor
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of having a foreign car in the Netherlands?
I have got a new job and will be posted for a year from Norway to the Netherlands and had 3 options with my car....
1) Sell it. (It is an A2 so not easy and has had much work done and a significant investment made in bringing it back to tip-top condition)
2) Store it for a year in Norway/UK (not tempted as it restricts my freedom too much and a car should be used!)
3) take the car with me to the Netherlands with me for the duration of my stay

My employer wishes to bring me to the Dutch headquarters to learn the business and so I have been posted to Holland for (up to) one year.

Does anyone know how easy/complicated it is to bring a Norwegian car into the Netherlands for a one year stay?
I assume from looking at the UK interpretation of EU rules that it should be a tax exempt import unless sold providing that it is in the country for less than 2 years.

It will need an MOT on arrival and as I understand Dutch plates very quickly (within a month??).

Is it a correct assumption that the sidelights should not be enabled with the headlights in Holland? If so I will need to fix the Norwegian wiring.

It would be great if anyone could share any knowledge on the topic!

John

Hei John,

I'm Dutch and live in Norway.
To bring it in Holland and get dutch licence plates is not very expensive.
It will cost you some money.......http://www.rdw.nl/englishinformatio...spx?path=Portal/Information in English/Import

After a year when you return it will cost you money again! and much more than from Norge til Nederland.
This is also the reason that I sold my very nice A4 before we left to Norway.........:(

Economicly it is wiser to sell your car and buy a car in Holland.
You can find A2's overthere as well or buy and old banger with a year's MOT (APK) on it.

If you want more detailed info regarding import to holland, ask your question on the duch A2 forum.
Lot's of knowledge there regarding this. http://www.audi-a2.nl/

What is wrong with your A2 anyway?

Surely, bringing the car back into Norway should not cost me anything as it is already a Norwegian car...
The guys at the Norwegian road agency thought it was simply a case of returning the car to Norway and all was ok.
I will double check this with them.

Nothing is wrong with my A2. I have spent lots on fixing it in the last couple of years and so would rather hold on to a known vehicle.
The main problems I had were just wear after the car has been well used by previous owners!

John

Surely, bringing the car back into Norway should not cost me anything as it is already a Norwegian car...

Not sure about that...........if you have the car on dutch plates it is not a Norwegian car anymore, so you have to import it like any other.

I will keep the Norwegian years fees paid and have the Norwegian plates still.
Also I will get a temporary import document from the Netherlands and an export of goods back to country of origin paperwork and so it should not be too difficult.

John

Hi John, What has happened about the front and rear Mudflaps you and I were interested in from Trex? I heard nothing and post has now gone? Any news from your end.

Back