Hand brake on for 3 weeks, now it's binding on rear drivers side brake drum

Sorry for the total newb question, but I'm new to self servicing!

My other half left the handbrake on the A2, when we went on holiday. 3 weeks.
Started it up and I noticed its still gripping on the rear drivers side, after a drive it gets a little warm [not hot], other side is cold.

Is this likely to be a cable or is it drum off time and something more involved.

At 212,000 miles, I expected more from our A2! hahaha :eek:

Any help, guidance or links appreciated.

Cheers

bba

Take the wheel and handbrake off of and bang the drum with a steel hammer.

Put your car in reverse gear before you jack it up.................

Cheers Spike

I searched, but lots of results came back were of little use.

Thanks

bba

It does sound very much like the pivot on the brake cable release arm has seized up. The problem and remedy are described in here: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?17737-Handbrake&p=135135#post135135the
but first you will have to remove the drum and the only way to do so is to release the self-adjusting wedge. There are instructions (pics) somewhere how to do this but I can't readily find them.
The picks below show what I do: the first two show what you are looking for and the third with the dram attached (I use a pointed tool to locate the hole in the wedge to which the spring is attached).
Depending on the brake ware, the hole could be anywhere between half past nine and eleven o'clock on the near side (as shown in my pics) but between one and two thirty on the drivers side.
Push the tool down so as to leaver the wedge upwards as far as it will go - you should now be able to easily remove the drum.

Hope this helps and good luck

Regards
Mike

View attachment 16579 IMG_20140918_125206.jpg IMG_20140918_125557.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd update.

Got the drum off, but to my surprise, got an issue with both sides... Hand brake cable is goosed on one side. [Drivers]
And the wheel cylinder [Passenger side] has decided to empty it's contents into the drum!

I see the cylinders are not expensive, is it best practise to do both sides?

What about the springs... should these all be replaced too?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Any advice from anyone who's done this task, greatly appreciated.

Cheers

BBA

Thought I'd update.

Hand brake cable is goosed on one side.

What exactly do you mean by "goosed"? can you see any damage to the cable?

And the wheel cylinder [Passenger side] has decided to empty it's contents into the drum!

That could only happen if you had forced one of the shoes of the piston while removing the drum but more likely when pressing on a foot brake when the drum was off.
In either case, unless you can see actual damage, you can simply push the piston back in and replace the dust cover. You will need to bleed the brakes afterwards.
Only a damaged / leaking cylinder need renewing.
They are cheep enough and easy to replace if you know what you are doing - it is all too easy to cross-thread when reattaching the supply line.

Regards
Mike

The pistons are fairly inexpensive and at over 200k will probably need done. A spring kit is also worth it, as they suffer wear and tear. Would be interested to know what the handbrake damage is.

Gents

Thank you for your posts.

The Handbrake cable doesn't hold the wheel on the [passenger side back] when I took off the drum [It was a pig to remove], the cable is very dry, crusty and stiff.

I've ordered new shoes, cylinders, HB cable and spring kit, so hopefully will have all bases covered.
I haven't pressed the brake pedal, whilst the drum has been off; I was on my own and didn't see the point, as I wouldn't see anything.

Any bits I don't use can go back.

Thanks again, will keep you posted.

bba

Good luck bba

Do take great care when reconnecting the brake line to the cylinder! I find it a little easier to reconnect the line before bolting the cylinder on to the carier.

Regards
Mike

Let me know how you get on with the brake cable. I have similar fault, but have replaced everything else except the cable. Meant to be a sod to fit. Will need my brother's wheel ramps to get under the A2.

Well thought I'd update mid-progress.

This side the cylinder had leaked, so I've replaced, cylinder, shoes and springs.
The handbrake cable looks alright, so I'm leaving this for the time being.

On the other side, the arm that holds the handbrake cable to the shoe, had seized up, and was a pig for me to remove the shoes etc.

I'm not a mechanic!
So sorry if the terminology is not correct, and I'm sending you all to sleep!

I didn't remove the hub, but it's very tight on space working around it.
When re-assembling the shoes into the metal slider that connects both shoes [under the cylinder] open the handbrake cable arm, [pen knife style, if this makes sense] and slide it in to the slider, otherwise it doesn't sit correctly when assembling the shoes, slider and springs.

I had to unscrew the cylinder [as mentioned on here] from the brake line, as the nuts are very tight/seized. Luckily no leaks on them, but I will replace the brake lines when next servicing.
I've posted some images, so you can see what to un-do etc.

Make sure you get the new spring kit, as you may want to chop the old ones off... plus it looks better!

I have to say it's been a faff, but it's the first time I've ever attempted this myself.

I'll be adjusting and bleeding over the weekend so will update.

Hope this ramble helps!

bba

Attachments

• leaking.jpg
    leaking.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 490
  • new-shoes.jpg
    new-shoes.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 2,679
  • bleed.jpg
    bleed.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 491