Hello - my first A2 a 2004 TDI 90 sport

BiggDogg

A2OC Donor
Hello All,
After 11 days of ownership I thought I'd better check in as I am about to pester you with a few queries.
I have hankered after one of these cars since they came out really.

My A2 is replacing a Seat Arosa 1.4 TDI (75bhp, AMF engine) which I have driven 180,000 miles in 11 years.

So, the A2 is metallic black with 4 seats and full red leather, climate, DIS, 57,000m on the clock, 16" Audi alloys.

Jobs done so far:
Replaced broken oil dipstick: £9 from Hatfield Audi having ignored the ones on Ebay which are double the price - Oil was at the correct level after all :)
Got (original!) cambelt, tensioner, waterpump and v-belt changed by trusted neighbour mechanic £288.
Found bonnet air intake full of water and drains completely blocked with dirt, cleared out
Found passenger footwell damp, removed mat, carpet, (ECU bin moist:eek:) all dried out
Changed cabin air filter (filthy)
Changed engine air filter (found clean but mis-shapen and looked like a cheap nasty one)
Cleaned / fed the leather with Autoglym product.
Got the tracking checked and adjusted
Scanned for any DTCs - none found
Greased the gear linkages above the gearbox
Greased the ball and springs at the base of the gearlever after some dismantling
Noticed marked reduction of cheesy smell from climate after driving on HI and full fan switching ECON and on and off for an hour or so.

Still to do:
Investigate the intermittent slightly rough idle during warm-up (hoping not early sign of DMF failure) ideas gratefully received
Change the engine oil and filter
Change the fuel filter
Wash n wax!
Get some more screws to replace the ones missing from the undertray
Fit cruise control (did that to the Arosa)
Use a bomb cleaner on the cheesy smell
A very few rattles and squeaks to find and sort
Find out why the fog lights are cloudy - may need 3M polish kit?

What do I think of it so far?
Love the look of it, the quality feel of the car.
Love the enormous boot (compared to Arosa)
Getting used to the markedly different dynamics (harder) and heavy gearchange, Arosa is so light, so slick by comparison but appears to use the same linkage and cable arrangement - surely something wrong?
The extra 15 horses have been deployed and enjoyed a little!
The first (only) time I filled up with fuel, hadn't noticed the flap release button on the B-pillar (DOH!) so after a few minutes pondering and poking around I found the plastic cover over the solenoid release and released it manually - thinking it must be connected to the central locking and needed fixing!
I'm not sure about the MPG accuracy from DIS until I fill up but it is hovering around 50mpg which is lower than the 56-60mpg I got from the Arosa on the exact same commute, fuel, speed and driving style. Will report back.

Apologies for the continual comparison to the old Arosa but the engine noise at idle is a good bit louder in the A2 and at speed it is the same. At idle from the outside it seems to sound the exact same. To my mind it is too loud and long term I may be fitting some sound deadening as I see others have done to good effect.
There is an interesting chirp on this ATL engine upon acceleration around 2000 rpm, I recall seeing a thread which said a kit is available to solve some pipe vibration issue and may look at doing that mod - the chirping is quite loud but I am only guessing it's the same thing.

All the best,
Matt

Sounds like a lovely car and a match made in heaven to its new owner, lets see it then! Pictures please

Here's a couple
P1020180.JPG
P1020176.JPG

Hi and welcome. Your car looks great - can i tempt you to join us for the excellent day out for Audi driver international show at castle combe ? full details are in the socials section. cheers mike

Last edited:
My TDI 90 had a pretty heavy gear change. I think it stiffened up over the years I owned it. My ATL engine made a brrrr from 1600 to 2500 rpm. I think it's the N75 solenoid & vacuum pulling the turbo vanes into position. (guess) The brrrr coincided with the torque coming in, e.g. 1400 rpm, no torques, keep foot down and wait, 1600 rpm whoa! torque comes in like crazy, pulls like a loony, brrrrrr goes on, diminishes as rpm goes up, brrrr gone around 2500 rpm.

So I think the brrrr is related to the TDI 75's moooo, something to do with vacuum lines vibrating, but whether it's EGR or turbo I'm not sure

My TDI 90 had a pretty heavy gear change. I think it stiffened up over the years I owned it. My ATL engine made a brrrr from 1600 to 2500 rpm. I think it's the N75 solenoid & vacuum pulling the turbo vanes into position. (guess) The brrrr coincided with the torque coming in, e.g. 1400 rpm, no torques, keep foot down and wait, 1600 rpm whoa! torque comes in like crazy, pulls like a loony, brrrrrr goes on, diminishes as rpm goes up, brrrr gone around 2500 rpm.

So I think the brrrr is related to the TDI 75's moooo, something to do with vacuum lines vibrating, but whether it's EGR or turbo I'm not sure

if it is a similar problem then check out this link ....

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?20411-EGR-valve-bracket-mount-mod&p=203538#post203538

cammy

Back