A2 TDi 90 - 10 years on. The good and bad news ( DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL)

murdo

Admin Team
Scotland
Hi folks.

Our much beloved TDi 90 Sport went in for its MOT today and passed with no advisories :cool:

Work also planned in the next fortnight is a major service and a 2nd cambelt change for which I got all the parts from my local Audi Franchise with a 15% retail discount which I was happy with.

Unfortunately, my dual mass flywheel has become noisy and is on the road out, so this will be done along with the service and I'll replace the clutch at the same time. I knew from the outset that this was a weakness in the TDi90 - and given that after 10.5 years and 93k miles this is the first major issue the car has had - I'm really not bothered by this and it'll be a pleasure getting it back to full health.

Now for an advice request from our community: ;)

I'm keen to use OEM parts for the replacement of the clutch and DMF and I'm advised that LUK makes these components for Audi. I've had a look though the archive, but can someone confirm this for definite, and importantly - does anyone know of a good source to buy these parts at a competitive price ( there is only one entry on eBay for an LUK DMF for the A2 at £395)

Thanks for any help.

Murdo

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm not interested in a gearbox mod Dan - this'll skin me enough as it is! ;)

Really just looking for confirmation on the oem manufacturers and help with competitive suppliers - thanks for the links Sojah.

Hi murdo

it is a LUK dual mass flywheel in the a2 I replaced mine a few years ago now and replaced like for like sumo found mine on ebay for a very good price.
Chees
Robin
Hi folks.

Our much beloved TDi 90 Sport went in for its MOT today and passed with no advisories :cool:

Work also planned in the next fortnight is a major service and a 2nd cambelt change for which I got all the parts from my local Audi Franchise with a 15% retail discount which I was happy with.

Unfortunately, my dual mass flywheel has become noisy and is on the road out, so this will be done along with the service and I'll replace the clutch at the same time. I knew from the outset that this was a weakness in the TDi90 - and given that after 10.5 years and 93k miles this is the first major issue the car has had - I'm really not bothered by this and it'll be a pleasure getting it back to full health.

Now for an advice request from our community: ;)

I'm keen to use OEM parts for the replacement of the clutch and DMF and I'm advised that LUK makes these components for Audi. I've had a look though the archive, but can someone confirm this for definite, and importantly - does anyone know of a good source to buy these parts at a competitive price ( there is only one entry on eBay for an LUK DMF for the A2 at £395)

Thanks for any help.

Murdo

Now have a cracking deal on an luk clutch thanks to an old post from chubbybrown. Thanks Roy. Still welcome any steers on a source for a dual mass flywheel. Cheers. Murdo

Just spotted this old post. Not sure if its the same as mentioned above as there are several references to chubby brown - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21338-A2-1-4-TDi-90PS-ATL-clutch-and-DMF-change

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike. Yes, that's the main post I've been using as it has the part numbers and Roy's link to an LUK clutch kit at £105 which is a good deal. I'm not quite sure if your second link refers to a clutch only or clutch + DMF for £480. The part number certainly suggests so. I'll give them a ring as if it's the latter that's the best overall price I've seen so far. I'm a canny Scot ye know! ;)

Thanks very much indeed for researching these links Spike - I think people sometimes forget that we have our very own A2OC Google with yourself on the team and your wealth of knowledge and tenacity with the club archives is much appreciated.

Last edited:
When you have sourced all the parts, I think it will be worth collating this info in a 'how to'

Yes that's a good idea Graham. I'm hopefully going to be allowed to 'observe' the job so I could take lots of photos and document the work. Could be a handy one as it's probably a matter of when rather than if this needs doing for owners of TDI 90. Unfortunately with a minimum of 500 on parts and a full days labour it's likely to send a few cars to the breakers as time goes on.

Hi Murdo

I had mine changed last year at 95k by a local independent garage he changed the clutch, flywheel, release bearing and the flywheel bolts for £800 using LUK. I had a bit of a problem with one of the mounting bolt threads when I went to change the gear oil this year which was easily rectified by using a helicoil. Audi main stealer's wanted over £1600 for the clutch kit and apparently the its made by LUK.

Cheers

Nige

If I had to do it all again tomorrow I would ]

Hi Roy. That quote sums it up.

Which magazine reports on the DMF failures as ' the hidden cost of diesel cars' but I'm content after 6.5 years of ownership and no costs outside of routine servicing and consumables that this repair is still great value for money. It also demonstrates the advantage of the 75 engine over the 90 but hey - I like the aesthetics of rear disc brakes and how many remapped 75's return 118bhp and 230lb of torque.

I reckon this job will cost an average of a grand all in - I'm hoping that I'll be able to put a 'how to' together and a as time passes the 90 variant and its foibles will be cherished and not avoided.

Bu the time u add gearbox fluids, nows a good time to pick bluemotion or redline.your choice

Already has the bluemotion in the box royboy, just did it in April. Does the gearbox need to be drained to do the clutch and DMF? - I assumed it'd be a sealed unit.

Quick update on this thread too with the punchline first: I'm picking up the DMF and clutch unit (LUK part number 417 0047 10) from our local Euro Car Parts for £342 plus VAT!!!. So I'm well chuffed! :):)

The next nearest price to this was £500 sourcing the DMF from eBay and the clutch from the firm Roy recommended. The link Spike kindly provided looked a bit cheaper, but there was an exchange part surcharge with you having to mail the old parts to Germany to claim a refund. Other quotes were the better part of £1000.

The work isn't getting completed until I'm on leave in November when I will hopefully build a photo record of the DMF replacement and as per Spike's idea I will reword this thread to be a 'how to' for fellow TDi 90 owners who experience DMF issues with their A2 - and hopefully along the way saving some people a bit of money.

So a big thumbs up to ECP, and thanks for all the help and Roy's recommendation to phone them in person before ordering anything.

The one question I am left with though - If LUK makes the parts - why is there such a massive swath of retail costs across reputable suppliers. Silly question I suppose :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Update to this thread. The work on the car started today and I've taken photos that will be uploaded over the weekend once its all done. The car is currently in bits after day one as we had a slight hiccup in that the DMF and clutch kit wasn't supplied with a clutch release bearing so that's one to remember if you're contemplating this job.

Half a day lost for a £12 part from ECP. So tomorrow is a full on day to complete the replacement DMF and clutch. A guide sleeve has also been replaced as recommended by Spike. After this, it's a cambelt change and full service and that's me sorted. I had toyed with trying a 'how to' thread; however Drew the mechanic caring for Ada is very much in the 'zone' when he's working with Zen like concentration levels - so I guess I'm privileged to be allowed to hang about and take the odd snap!!;)

Positive aspects from the car being so mechanically disassembled is that Drew is most complementary of the cars condition and says it a pleasure working on a car that's not covered in oil. The rubbers on the engine mountings are still like new and even most of the fixings on the heat shields are in good condition which surprises me with a car that's lived in the south west of Scotland for the last 6.5 years.

I do have pretty nasty corrosion on the clips for the fuel lines and the suspension has seen better days cosmetically, however Timmus and I are tackling this in the spring.

All in - really happy with the car after 10 years, and this little bit of maintenance is the first 'real' money that's been spent on the car outside of mods and servicing / consumables. It feels like an investment rather than a repair :cool:

Will update on parts numbers, costs and photos when the job is all done. It'll come in way way short of franchise costs with a bit of shopping around and sourcing a tech with the perfectionist about him :)

Back