cat D a2

Hi
Due to the kindness of a a2oc member ive just found out the car I planned to view Friday wasa cat D not mentioned on ad and owner has just said he was not awarw of this, he offered a refund of my 100 deposit and also offered to change asking price to suit. It was a 03 plate 1.6 fsi in green with 42000 mile for £2100, not sure what to do now, should I just walk away from this one.

Thanks
Steven

Bittersweet result here. Great help through this friendly community but a disappointment on the prospective car. It's quite possible the current keeper wasn't aware so I wouldn't immediately suspect anything dodgy. 2100 is cheap for such a low mileage car but unless you could be certain what resulted in the car being placed on the V register and were assured by means of a professional inspection that the car has been repaired properly it's probably going to niggle at you. Those checks will also take time and money so I'd be inclined to look elsewhere. Good luck with your search.

thanks to quick for the hpi check I got the valuable info that saved a lot of trouble in the long run as my wife who isnt tokeen on me getting a 10 yr old car to start with. Got my deposit refunded and seller sounded genuinley suprised also.

Good job the people on here are so welcomining and generous, will be using a block hpi checker for any more I spot and any spares slots are going back to here for any takers.

Steven

My TDI, that I bought in April this year, was a cat D back in 2006. A single hpi check, costing £19.99, told me when the car was put on the register. In Steven's instance, if a fellow member has already done an hpi check, as seems to be the case, he probably will have that information already.

My thinking was that, if the car's been through eight MOT tests since it was listed and it drives and looks well, I shouldn't be unduly concerned, particularly as the price was very reasonable and I don't intend to sell for a good few years!

Obviously, Murdo's advice regarding having the fsi professionally inspected is the 'best practice' way to go but perhaps my two penn'oth is worth consideration!

I would suggest that any cat - esp D should be chose with caution - based on the fact as to when the car has been written off

If a 1 year old car is a cat D -then that's a lot of money in regards to damage ( every panel including roof + more??)
If a car is 10 years old and chosen to be cat D -'that could mean £500 of damage ( or a dented wing)

So the main detail is how old the car was - when it was written off ??

If you have all the paperwork for the work of repair - then that would help with the decision/ speculation

Thanks for all the replies, I decided to pass on the car as it would always play on my mind and also my wife wouldn't be happy to say the least. The car was written off when it was 2 years old so my thinking is that it must have been worth quite a bit considering its only got 42k on it now back in 2005 it must have had next to no mileage on it and to be considered written off for insurance purposes had to have involved a hefty repair bill and current owner stated he had no knowledge of the Cat D status when he bought it just over a year ago (maybe recently found out and is trying to move it on). Will keep on looking and HPI check everyone I consider.

Funny thing is seller has re listed stating its a CAT D and reduced price, but has stated how it could have been something minor and a few years ago - the HPI report stated it was 2005 so 9 years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, I decided to pass on the car as it would always play on my mind and also my wife wouldn't be happy to say the least. The car was written off when it was 2 years old so my thinking is that it must have been worth quite a bit considering its only got 42k on it now back in 2005 it must have had next to no mileage on it and to be considered written off for insurance purposes had to have involved a hefty repair bill and current owner stated he had no knowledge of the Cat D status when he bought it just over a year ago (maybe recently found out and is trying to move it on). Will keep on looking and HPI check everyone I consider.

Funny thing is seller has re listed stating its a CAT D and reduced price, but has stated how it could have been something minor and a few years ago - the HPI report stated it was 2005 so 9 years ago.

Wise choice! if the WIFE wouldn't of been happy then you wouldn't of heard the last of it mate:D. lol

I tell you these lil' A2's when they get under your skin can come between you and the wife.:p thank God my wife understands my relationship with me A2 or I'd be packing my bags. lol

Hope you find the perfect A2 you desire.

All the best with your search.

Mo

well it wasnt a long search, just put the deposit down on a local A2 TDI Special Edition 54 plate with only 55k on the clock, 1 owner from new full Audi service history with a file of receipts. Owner just traded it in for a new Subaru Impreza and the dealer decided it was to good to send to auction so put it up for sale for £4695 - I got it down to £4190 including a years warranty thrown in. Took her for a spin tonight and loved it - immaculate inside and out - just got to wait till saturday morning to pick her up.

looking forward to being a legit A2OC contributor not just a lurker.;)

Last edited:
Now ive got my A2, we'll 4 days time :( my next headache is to find a good dog guard and protector for the boot for my 2 year old English springer spaniel (Cherry Cola :rolleyes: - blame the wife), would love a Audi guard but don't know where to start even looking for one. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
steven

That's great news!!:) Sounds like you got yourself a good'un :)
Any pic's? would be great to see it.

regarding the Guard keep your eyes on ebay as genuine guards do come up.

Nice1

Back