My A2’s journey

Vonnie

A2OC donor
When I decided that I wanted an A2 my original shopping list was for a White A2 with OpenSky and Sports spec, oh and it had to be newer then our Castle Red A2. So I was prepared for a wait, knowing that a) there where only a handful of white A2’s b) finding one newer than our red one would reduce that figure even further as would c) finding one with a sport spec. I did look at others and yes there were nicer spec A2’s for the same or less money that we looked at as well but they weren’t quite what I was after. Then just about a week into starting my search the perfect, ok it wasn’t perfect, A2 was found. The car had some car-park scrapes and the wheels needed changing and the drivers seat was a bit worn so definitely needed some work to bring it up to scratch, but in terms of what I was looking for it was perfect as it ticked all the items on my original shopping list – White, Sport, OpenSky, newer (just) then the Castle Red one we have.

Initially just the wheels were replaced with a set of the QT wheels with the intention of having the paintwork sorted at some time in the future, but for a few years this ended up only being routine maintenance.

Last year I was able to change the seats to black Alcantara and then this year with the start-up of A2Cars combined with sometimes driving our Castle Red A2 I decided the suspension really did need changing. So the search started and with the help of Mike (A2sumo) I settled on Monroe Reflex and H&R Springs and these were ordered and a date for fitting arranged. However I nearly cancelled the booking as on getting the car out of the garage we noticed that the front panel of the OpenSky was shattered and after some deliberation I decided the suspension still needed to be done and that I would have to investigate costs/options for the roof and it was the right decision as one of the springs was broken. Then followed a review of my insurance policy and some discussions on the phone with them. Followed by a visit from their assessor where it was deemed that A2cars could replace the glass roof with a new one and I would only pay the cost of my windscreen cover excess which meant it wouldn’t affect my no claims. (Phew!)

Then I was asked to go on a lengthy foreign business trip (6 weeks). So thought this was an ideal time to get all the paintwork blemishes and the tiny tear in my Alcantara sorted so the car was again dispatched to A2 cars.

However whilst I was away I/Mike also decided that a number of other things needed to be done, so reverse parking sensors and a Komfort Blinker were also fitted and whilst the Alcantara was being repaired on the drivers seat a much need new seat bolster was also added.

I had also purchased a double din-dash so decided this needed to be fitted whilst I was away, and I was going to have Mike’s (A2Sumo) old stereo until such time as I purchased RNSe.

Then my trip was extended (to almost 3 months) and I had to miss AITP; didn’t mean that I missed out on the very nicely re-trimmed 3-spoke steering wheel for sale though, which was duly fitted at A2cars.

PLUS as a surprise for my birthday Mike had sourced a MK2 RNSe and had Tony fit it. I knew nothing of this until getting in the car on my return. So smiles all round from me at this point.

Trouble is now I keep thinking about what needs to be done next and have already started to formulate a list/purchase more things to be sorted/added.

Nice read of your A2 journey:) thing is that itch of getting another mod done is always there I guess.lol

I'm sure that list will grow.

Nice1

Mo

Great story! Love the bit about the bonus Mk2 RNS-E - that's a superb unit :) Photos!

I haven't been in the UK much since my last post, with another 2 trips to Malaysia for work followed by a holiday so no photos yet.

BUT I was home long enough to ensure that at the same time as Dan B secured his 6 speed gearbox install with A2 cars that along with a few other 'essential' mods the other 6 speed gearbox Tony had would be installed in my car during my November/December trip to Malaysia. (Thanks Dan B for letting Tony practice on your car :D). Tony delivered Mike's red A2 back to us after some minor TLC and returned to Milton Keynes with my White A2 whilst I was away and returned it back to me on the evening of Monday 15th Dec (can't ask for better then door to door service).

The six speed gearbox was installed along with all the bits for a new clutch and I also had Tony install a 12V socket in the boot and an additional boot light (much better then just having the one), mute the radio when reverse is selected and the reversing sensors are activated and install along with any necessary wiring some front fog lights that I supplied and finally a replacement starter motor.

So what do I think of the gearbox now it has six speeds? I've only had 4 trips out since the car was returned to me as we disappeared to sunnier places on the 19th Dec and have only returned home yesterday.

The four trips that I did do at the end of last year have left me very impressed with my new gearbox. As Dan B had previously noted the revs are much lower at the higher speeds and you still have the ability to put your foot down and pull away when needed, two of the trips were about 30 mins each on dual carriage ways and the other two trips a mixture of 30/40 and 60 speed limits but still time to utilize that 6th gear. I was looking forward to returning the in-laws home this morning (no in-law jokes please I like them both) and then taking my car for a bit of a drive so that the car could make use of that extra gear - alas the car wouldn't start; maybe time for a new battery. So I had to use the yellow one to take them home instead. hopefully Mike will jump start my car in the morning once the power-pack is nicely charged.

Would I recommend the 6 speed gearbox install supplied by Tony to others - absolutely. The yellow car is waiting patiently for it's 6 speed upgrade as it is only fair that both are treated to this upgrade.

Is that it for me now with the mods on the white one - nope, more are planned.....
Hopefully I'll get her started in the morning and after a run out I can take some pictures of the MK2 RNSe etc and add to the post.

Looking forward to a few return trips to Peterborough before I get sent back to Malaysia and my contract finishes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Yvonne - we're glad you're enjoying the upgrades to your A2 - now stay in the UK to enjoy it even more :p.

Just a few technical pics for interest :).
Yvonne will have to post the interior shots.

The rear main crankshaft seal with evidence of an oil leak for some time - this would have to be replaced to ensure there would be no contamination of the replacement clutch.

1.JPG

The rear of the flywheel - note how the oil has leaked and been flung through the bolt holes.

2.JPG

The business end of the non-DMF flywheel - the blue burn marks indicate a slipping clutch.

3.JPG

Inside the bell-housing - yuk!

4.JPG

Broken and blocked breather on the top of the gearbox.

5.JPG

New crank seal fitted and block in process of being cleaned.

6.JPG

Flywheel machined (looks good), new bolts torqued, checked and marked.

7.JPG

Old and refurbished gearboxes - out with the "5", in with the "6".

8.JPG

Jobs a good one ;)

blue skies

tony

Part 1 of 2

So it's been a few months without anything happening to my car except a general service and an MOT so last week I thought it deserved a treat.

A2cars fitted the auto light modification for me and did some work on the exhaust. Very pleased with the results.

Then last weekend Robin very kindly changed by rear breaking system for me from drums to discs. OK I know the drums work just fine and in fact mine were all replaced with new parts only just over a year ago......but the discs do look so much nicer!

some pics

image.jpg All shiny and ready for fitting.

image.jpg Robin starting to remove the old axle

image.jpg All removed

image.jpg The old drum brakes

image.jpg

The new disc axle

image.jpg I think they were installing the new handbrake cables here

image.jpg Changing the handbrake mechanism

More on the next post

Last edited:
Post 2 of 2

Then I was going to change all the interior from platinum to soul black, but in the end decided just to change the boot/false floor area.

image.jpg So out come the rear seats

image.jpg Carpet removed, showing the Audi factory white floor (last comment added just for Steve B :). )

image.jpg Black bits added.
The black false floor itself was added once I got home as it was still in my garage

Then Robin and Jeff even gave my car a quick clean

image.jpg

Is that that it with upgrades/changes/modifications to my car....only time will tell!

Last edited:
Fantastic! The rear drums to discs becoming the new 'must have' mod.

Loving the shiny rear axle. It'll look like a new car.

Is anyone able top give me a "ball park" figure for the complete job including labour (PM is fine!)

I do need this conversion, but the funds are low!!

Steve B

Hi steve

I looked into this the other day and found up some of the parts prices , but still needed backing plates , possibly stubs and wheel bearing kits and handbrake lever, looked like a 3 or 4 hour job too me but did not ring tps for prices of OE parts yet as needed a bit more research on ABS and stubs but hears what i found and saved to my ebay, looked to me that there wouldnt be much change from £300 for new parts but was also looking into second hand polo and lupo parts as the same back axle and easily found at salvage yards and compatible with most A2's but not if youv got opensky as they have a different camber and toe in.

Regards Gary

calippers £83.70
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-CALIP...8D-V-160000-/161772771515?hash=item25aa6898bb

mintex discs & Pads £45.39
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mintex-Re...ts=Car+Make:Audi|Model:A2&hash=item462f7a45ec

Rear Discs & Pads ATE + ceramic pads £99.95
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATE-POWER...ts=Car+Make:Audi|Model:A2&hash=item58ca4d3e24

handbrake cables £26.45
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-2...odel:A2|Cars+Type:1.4+TDI&hash=item1e6c441542

Last edited:
Hi steve

I looked into this the other day and found up some of the parts prices , but still needed backing plates , possibly stubs and wheel bearing kits and handbrake lever, looked like a 3 or 4 hour job too me but did not ring tps for prices of OE parts yet as needed a bit more research on ABS and stubs but hears what i found and saved to my ebay, looked to me that there wouldnt be much change from £300 for new parts but was also looking into second hand polo and lupo parts as the same back axle and easily found at salvage yards and compatible with most A2's but not if youv got opensky as they have a different camber and toe in.

Regards Gary

Hi Gary
Interesting to know more about why you mention axle differences between opensky and non-open sky as we didn't find anything to suggest this when researching for the axle changes in A2Sumos car (fitted by A2cars) and the one fitted to mine - one with and one without open sky.

The handbrake mechanism definitely needs changing, they are two different part numbers and on a visual inspection side by side they did differ and have a different ratio for pulling the cable.

regards Yvonne

I found up loads of tech data about tracking and wheel alignment and noticed open skys have an extra 5 degrese of toe in compaired to standard cars , it said something about to increase cornering stability with the extra high up weight, ile have a search tommorz and find up the information i came accross as off out in a bit , the only reason i researched it was i thought the toe in on my rears looked extreme but had them checked and they were both even so took it no further.

i found another post that audi had told an owner that he needed a new back axle because the toe in was differnt on each side , he took it to another audi garage who adjusted the toe for him with a special tool , he mentioned they undone a few nuts ect and realigned the back axle.

Gary

Last edited:
Back