What's missing?

6stings

A2OC Donor
Hey guys! Took some photos of the bottom, while they rebalanced the front wheels today, I had lot vibrations around 130 kmh on Autobahn this week.

I know the right front 'corner' of the skid plate (motor protection plate) is missing, it was broken and lost before I bought the car. I will fix that myself, since I can't find a used replacement plate in nearby areai...
But, you see any other protection plates or anything missing, compared to your A2s, please let me know.

Cheers,
Darko
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I don't have enough specific knowledge to comment on what might or might not be missing but can definitely advise that the screw in the left hand rear tyre - picture 5 - ought not to be there. If the wheel balancing folk didn't spot it, I'd advise you to get the car to a puncture repair shop as soon as possible; if the tyre isn't already slowly losing pressure, it will do soon!

Jeff

Under the airfilter box they cut a peace out of the motor protection plate.

Yes, it was probably cut in December last year, when the previous owner damaged the right side. I will cut a piece from some plate and fix that.
If anyone has a damaged protection plate with that corner and is willing to cut it of... :)

Last edited:
I don't have enough specific knowledge to comment on what might or might not be missing but can definitely advise that the screw in the left hand rear tyre - picture 5 - ought not to be there. If the wheel balancing folk didn't spot it, I'd advise you to get the car to a puncture repair shop as soon as possible; if the tyre isn't already slowly losing pressure, it will do soon!

Jeff

The orange spot? I didn't notice that either, I'll see what it is tomorrow, doesn't look like a screw to me...

Jeff

Jeff, there was nothing, probably just a piece of paper or something. Just checked the tyre, there's nothing there and it's loaded as it should be! Thanks for noticing the strange spot on the picture, you never know what it could be!
Cheers,
Darko

That's good news Darko. In fact, once you'd said that the spot was orange I did doubt whether it was a screw myself; I'm colour blind in some areas of the spectrum so the spot had looked 'screw coloured' to me!

Jeff

Can anyone with 1.6 FSI take a photo of the radiator area from behind, I mean from the engine side? I wonder if there should be some cover/air guide next to the radiator, probably missing on my car.
Many thanks!
Darko

Can anyone with 1.6 FSI take a photo of the radiator area from behind, I mean from the engine side? I wonder if there should be some cover/air guide next to the radiator, probably missing on my car.
Many thanks!
Darko

It may help if you post a photo of the 'suspect' area so members can quickly compare it with their cars. Photos can follow if there are any obvious differences.

Cheers Spike

I can I think answer this question without posting a picture-- it's the gap to the side of the radiator -all FSI have this. The gap is used on the tdi for the intercooler. Cheers Mike

Sure, Spike, I had to wait for the rain to stop!
Here they are! Mike, shouldn't be there some cover?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Cheers,
Darko

The reason I asked about the 'gap' to the side of the radiator, was that I found the bonnet insulation full of water after a week driving in the rain. I guess the water was coming either from the missing corner in the skid plate or this 'gap' in the front. Or maybe both?
Cheers,
Darko

Those pics do a good job in showing what may be missing from your car. Hopefully some kindly FSi owners will be along to say if this is normal or otherwise.

Cheers Spike

Those pics do a good job in showing what may be missing from your car. Hopefully some kindly FSi owners will be along to say if this is normal or otherwise.

Cheers Spike

Hopefully.
If there should be a gap there, my question is why? I see no point in exposing the generator directly to water and dirt, because you can't avoid them to get into the engine rom. Driving in Southern Norway during winter, on the roads generously covered by some ice melting salt mixture, blended with the asphalt dust made by winter tyres with spikes, well, that's something. Not reducing that stuff getting into the engine rom would be mistake, I think.
When I took of the bonnet the first time, I knew that the car has never been driven more than 20-30 km a day, I have never seen an engine so clean in my life.

On my two A3s I clean the engines a couple of times during winter, that's from November to April, vacuum-clean and wash them as good as possible.
Don't let me talk about the brakes and how that mixture eats them...

Cheers,
Darko

1.6 FSI owners, should I cover this gap or what? If diesels have the intercooler there, why does 1.6 FSI has no cover for the same area?

1. Has anyone covered the gap near the radiator on 1.6 FSI?

2. Should it be a cover under the fuel filter?

Nothing missing on your car that I can see...looks same as mine, but with less salt corrosion:

Back