warning panel

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Just looking for some info:
if a rear door is not closed, does this shown on the display in the cluster?
A pic would be really nice.
Thanks.

It should show something on the display yes.
If you have full DIS, you'll have a picture of the car and the actual door (or boot) that is not closed will be shown.
If you don't have DIS, you'll still have a picture of the car showing an open door, but it's a generic door, not the actual door.

It'll look something like this in either case (from an RS4 but the image is the same): http://www.audiaddict.net/images/domimages/DOM_4418sm.jpg

If nothing shows, then you've probably got the (very common) door microswitch issue. It's not a big deal unless its on the drivers door (in which case you have to be very careful not to accidentally lock your keys in the car, since the door will relock itself after a short period of time).

If nothing shows, then you've probably got the (very common) door microswitch issue. It's not a big deal unless its on the drivers door (in which case you have to be very careful not to accidentally lock your keys in the car, since the door will relock itself after a short period of time).

Thanks both.
Have cleaned the m/s but no difference. The scan shows "rear door can't ulock and won't desafe" what on earth do won't desafe mean???
They both seem to lock and unlock on the fob ok

If my experience is common to the issue of failure of a drivers door lock/switch (2002 Passat estate) take the easy option and fit a new replacement lock complete. I downloaded a comprehensive document from the US showing the usual broken solder joints, the five or so Burgess micro switches and door pillar cables that can fatigue through usage to find that one different pattern micro switch that was unavailable anywhere was the problem and not repairable either. With only one car I had to put it all back together and order the new door switch approx. £100.

Door lock mechanisms take a hammering from users slamming doors so buying from a breaker can be futile. Buying a new door lock is really the only permanent repair.

... The scan shows "rear door can't ulock and won't desafe" what on earth do won't desafe mean??? ...

Yeah, exactly as meriafel says.

The 'desafe' message is exactly what you'd expect to see if the microswitch was playing up. Replacing the lock assembly is the only real option. Basically the car thinks that the door has not been opened, and will relock itself within a minute or so (if that was the only door opened).

However... a rear door? Not sure I'd bother to fix it, since you are very likely to open the drivers door anyway, which will be enough to tell the car that a door has opened. If it was the drivers door I would (mine is booked in for exactly that in November).

Last edited:
how long does it normally take to strip down to inspect the microswitch. what should i look for when or if i try this? last thing i want to do is break something in the process.

my doors both drivers side and rear have the same issues but mine sometimes work then they dont, so mine could be just needing cleaned...i hope!!!

cammy

There are some very good videos on you tube showing this process. search golf mk4 door switch. The main problem is the rubber boot that protects the workings of the switch get dirty. Cleaning will only last so long. cheers mike

There are some very good videos on you tube showing this process. search golf mk4 door switch. The main problem is the rubber boot that protects the workings of the switch get dirty. Cleaning will only last so long. cheers mike
Did the full blown clean up job. Its not too difficult just a bit fiddly. Did it Work? NO!
Fitted a brand new switch yesterday to the OS. Did a scan and cleared all the faults and now we have a door open light on the DIS- result.
However Both rear locks (including the new one) cycle when the ignition is turned on. Don't think this is right is it?

Did the full blown clean up job. Its not too difficult just a bit fiddly. Did it Work? NO!
Fitted a brand new switch yesterday to the OS. Did a scan and cleared all the faults and now we have a door open light on the DIS- result.
However Both rear locks (including the new one) cycle when the ignition is turned on. Don't think this is right is it?
Anyone any ideas?

Could it be your front door locks?
Does the DIS show that the driver's door is open?, you can also use the measuring blocks in VCDS to check the operation of the open/close and deadlock switches, perhaps the position of one of these is not being recognised so the car is trying to reset the locks.

Steve

Could it be your front door locks?
Does the DIS show that the driver's door is open?, you can also use the measuring blocks in VCDS to check the operation of the open/close and deadlock switches, perhaps the position of one of these is not being recognised so the car is trying to reset the locks.

Steve
Ok the drivers door switch is also new. What is the procedure for checking the locks you mention?
Thanks.

Sorry Simufly, my competence level is compromised too with matters regarding A2 and VCDS! Bought myself a new VCDS last Christmas and hoping that this Christmas my son will show me how to use it!
Hope you get your door locks fixed.

Replaced the pax side rear door lock. Cleared all the faults and ........ Half success. The cycling has stopped but still no warning on the DIS.
Hey ho.

Back