Heated mirrors question

6stings

A2OC Donor
I have a full winter package on my A2, but I discovered that the left (driver's side over here) mirror is not heating.
Pulled it out, couldn't see any damages.
I tried to check if the power is comming to it, read the voltage, not sure I did the readings right since the values on multimeter jumped fast and random up to 5.70 down to -0.25 :)

Maybe I should pull the right one out and try to swich the mirrors to see if it's the dead heating on the mirror or the power/connection?

What else might be a problem?

Cheers,
Darko

A cross-over testing results: both mirrors are good, the voltage on the passanger (right) side also goes up and down but from 9.50 to 2.40 volts. All fuses are good.
My conclusion is that the wires/contacts on the driver's side are not good!

Just check the resistance of the heater by connecting a VM across the heater. An open circuit heater will show infinite resistance. A good heater will show low ohms. If the heater is OK, you have a supply problem.

RAB

I took the triangle cover on inner side just to see if there was any connection there, but there wasn't. The cables goes down back the door panel, I have no idea how to take it off without breaking something...

it will be down to the mirror itself, well it is with mine as i swapped the passengers side to see if it would work and it did. so mines looks as if its the mirror but trying to find these 2nd hand are just as hard as finding a rear cup holder imo.

if anyone knows how to fix broken ones please let us know!

thanks

cammy

I took the door panel off this morning, everything looked nice and clean, but I sprayed all contacts with the corrosion cleaner anyway, specially the yellow one. Didn't help. The mirror heating was still dead. I guess I have to live with that, I can't possibly find out how to fix that.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Hi , just for info what corrosion cleaner are u using , wanna clean my contacts also just for prevention i guess , thanks.

Hi, I'm using CRC Oxide cleaner spray. Not sure if it's different than CRC Electronic cleaner, they smell the same. Cheers!

Does the electric adjustment on the same mirror still function? It takes power from the same source as the heater, i.e. the door card.

RAB

Does the electric adjustment on the same mirror still function? It takes power from the same source as the heater, i.e. the door card.

RAB

Hi, RAB! The mirror adjustment works fine. I wonder if the heating is disconnected somewhere inside the box the mirror is plugged to, can't be the cable, I think, all cables looks good to me.
Cheers,
Darko

Yes, it's worth checking with a DVM, all the way from the door card to the mirror. Start at the card, with power on for the mirror, or just check continuity from the mirror to the card without power.

RAB

I'll do that next weekend. I have to identify the wires first. Thanks for your help, RAB!
Cheers,
Darko

Thanks. Is it possible to open the contact box, if that's what you called the card? I'd like to check if the power has been lost there.
Cheers,
Darko

Darko,

If the mirror adjuster is still working, the card must have power.

RAB

RAB, I understand, I thought there might be a broken connection between the card and some pins. The yellow plug was a bit dingling after clicked in place...
Cheers,
Darko

Couldn't wait, took the whole thing apart, stripped the gray sleeve, checked both black wires, no damages, can't see that anything's wrong there. All pins look good, no corrosion, no damages. Didn't read the voltage, it got late and dark to start thinking what and where to read. Well, it will be one cold mirror, as long as the rest works fine.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cheers,
Darko

I found a few photos of the door control unit on the web and if it looks like this, then I have no chance to do anything.
If I managed to burn a couple of tube amps where everything was soldered point to point, I better not come close to something like this.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cheers,
Darko

Reactions: chb
Back