Starting and idoling very low but non-responsive on pushing accelerator

Wicksy

Every so often when turning the ignition on the engine starts off idling very low on the rev counter and when I push the accelerator it has absolutely no affect for around 30 seconds to a minute. When it finally does rev (of it's own accord, as though it's catching up) it's absolutely fine for the duration :confused: Any ideas please?

Audi A2 1.4 SE petrol 52'

Last edited:
Every so often when turning the ignition on the engine starts off idling very low on the rev counter and when I push the accelerator it has absolutely no affect for around 30 seconds to a minute. When it finally does rev (of it's own accord, as though it's catching up) it's absolutely fine for the duration :confused: Any ideas please?

If it is a diesel are you sure that you are waiting until the glowplug light goes off before trying to start it, especially in the cold weather.

Steve B

Hiya Steve, sorry - new to this. It's a 1.4cc petrol :)

In that case, there could be a long list of potential causes, but I will leave this one to someone who knows the petrol engine better than I do.

Steve B

Did it again today - only once (as usual) but exactly the same as before. I'd say it's closer to a minute than 30 seconds before it will register the pushing on the accelerator. Searched the net again (without typing in Audi A2) and apparently some Volvo owners are getting similar things happen to their vehicles and it's some kind of technical software issue?? Anyone heard of anything like that before?

Did it again today - only once (as usual) but exactly the same as before. I'd say it's closer to a minute than 30 seconds before it will register the pushing on the accelerator. Searched the net again (without typing in Audi A2) and apparently some Volvo owners are getting similar things happen to their vehicles and it's some kind of technical software issue?? Anyone heard of anything like that before?

Could be throttle position sensor, a scan should throw up some kind of error.

Back