Gear linkage adjustment TDI

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
I'm hoping to have a look at adjusting the gear linkages on my newly acquired TDI over the weekend. The car is very difficult to get into 3rd, 4th and 5th when accelerating and ney on impossible to get into 3rd while slowing down so i'm hoping a bit of fettling will sort it out.

I've done a search and found the guide posted by spike from elsawin but I was just wondering if anyone who has already done this job could offer any helpful tips as often its never as simple as stated in the workshop manual.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Steve

No, Hadn't noticed the youtube link. Will have a look when I get home from work and have got a decent wifi signal. Does it apply to the TDI? Thanks Spike.

Is there an alternative to using the metal locking pin? I.e can I just use a piece of metal thats the right size?

Try a 5mm allen key.

Make sure that it is something which cannot drop through, because if it does, then you have big problems on your hands.

PLEASE HELP!! I've just attempted to do this and now I cant get second or reverse. Does anyone know whay i've done wrong?

I attempted this after watching video, and had the same problem, so watched video over again, and made 3/4 attempts and eventualy found the gears again, so keep trying you will get there.

Colin

I've given up, i've tried adjusting it around 20 times and i've lost 5th!! It feels like the whole gate has moved to the right and there simply isnt any travwl left for 5th. If anyone has got any advice it will be wikcome, other than that its going to have to go inti a garage.

Edit: Just got it working again. Looks like it needs a shift tower repairr? But at keast i've now got all gears. The 10 minute job that took 4 hours.

Last edited:
I had a problem getting into 3rd and eventually had the shift tower changed, saw the old unit and it was goosed!!!! apparently water can drip from the bonnet vent directly onto the tower (if the seals don't sit correctly) and cause it to fail over time.
The tower cost £90 (new but 2nd hand) + labour to fit (i'm not that clever!)
Hope this helps Lee.

I had a problem getting into 3rd and eventually had the shift tower changed, saw the old unit and it was goosed!!!! apparently water can drip from the bonnet vent directly onto the tower (if the seals don't sit correctly) and cause it to fail over time.
The tower cost £90 (new but 2nd hand) + labour to fit (i'm not that clever!)
Hope this helps Lee.

Thats very helpfull thanks Lee. So if i'm lookibg for the part i'm searching for a 'shift tower'?

Back