Good Tyre Suggestions please??? A2 1.6 FSI Sport 17INCH Alloys

townlondon

Hi, it's time I invested in a good set of quality tyres. I'm going to replace all 4. (I'm usually a skint Flint and go for budget ones)

I have a audi A2 1.6 FSI sport 17inch Alloys. Currently have 205/40ZR17 size tyres.

Any suggestions please??? I'm clueless but like the sound of continental all weather ones. I have low profile ones on at the moment.

Any help really appreciated, there is sooooo much choice, I'm confused. Hmmmm.

What do you want to achieve with your tyres?
Better MPG (ie lower rolling resistance)?
Lower noise?
Better comfort?
Better wet-weather grip?
Better handling?
Long-term wear rate?

Tyres are always a choice of compromises between all of the above contradictory factors. Once you've decided what's most important to you you can start to narrow the field.

I have a audi A2 1.6 FSI sport 17inch Alloys. Currently have 205/40ZR17 size tyres.
Hi, I have the same set up as you but am looking at switching to 205/45: greater comfort, small MPG gains, aesthetics :) .
I've currently got Kumho Ecsta on the back and Hankook Ventus on the front and I'd recommend both but... if you do a lot of motorway driving, the Hankooks are the way to go (much quieter).
I used to 100% advise against all-season tyres but I understand that they've improved in the last couple of years. They're still sketchy 25+ degrees though.
Brother in-law has bought through Asda, I've used Black Circles and a friend has found Tyre Leader, great prices but as of yet untested.
Hope that helps,
Tom.

I got a set of Dunlops,sounds crass but the rolling resistance is amazing.
I have gone from 53 to 63 mpg just for changing my tyres from one to aonther.

I had a non-repairable puncture in one of my front Conti PremiumContact 185/50 R16 81H. The car is now parked outside my house looking sad, and I'm looking for two new tyres.
I had been using Kumho Ecsta KH31 185/50 R16 81V all around since buying the car in 2009, and had been happy with every aspect, but someone here was selling the Contis at a great price. I can't say I have noticed a difference between the Kumhos all around, and the Conti/Kumho hybrid arrangement I have been running since Jan-2013. I got 27,200 miles out of the front pair of Kumho Ecstas; if my notes are correct I have been running the rear pair for over 50,000 miles.

Looking at tyre review websites both the Kumho Ecsta KH31 and Conti PremiumContact rate very poorly for fuel economy. chubbybrown which specific Dunlop tyre are you running?

Andrew

What do you want to achieve with your tyres?
Better MPG (ie lower rolling resistance)?
Lower noise?
Better comfort?
Better wet-weather grip?
Better handling?
Long-term wear rate?

Tyres are always a choice of compromises between all of the above contradictory factors. Once you've decided what's most important to you you can start to narrow the field.

Thanks for your reply. I think better handling, better wet weather grip and better comfort are top of my list. I guess a more safer, performance type tyre. Any suggestions? I need to make a shortlist.

I had a non-repairable puncture in one of my front Conti PremiumContact 185/50 R16 81H. The car is now parked outside my house looking sad, and I'm looking for two new tyres.
I had been using Kumho Ecsta KH31 185/50 R16 81V all around since buying the car in 2009, and had been happy with every aspect, but someone here was selling the Contis at a great price. I can't say I have noticed a difference between the Kumhos all around, and the Conti/Kumho hybrid arrangement I have been running since Jan-2013. I got 27,200 miles out of the front pair of Kumho Ecstas; if my notes are correct I have been running the rear pair for over 50,000 miles.

Looking at tyre review websites both the Kumho Ecsta KH31 and Conti PremiumContact rate very poorly for fuel economy. chubbybrown which specific Dunlop tyre are you running?

Andrew

I feel for you. That has to hurt. I hope you get your A2 back on the road soon. Are Kumho are good brand to go for? Thanks.

Hi, I have the same set up as you but am looking at switching to 205/45: greater comfort, small MPG gains, aesthetics :) .
I've currently got Kumho Ecsta on the back and Hankook Ventus on the front and I'd recommend both but... if you do a lot of motorway driving, the Hankooks are the way to go (much quieter).
I used to 100% advise against all-season tyres but I understand that they've improved in the last couple of years. They're still sketchy 25+ degrees though.
Brother in-law has bought through Asda, I've used Black Circles and a friend has found Tyre Leader, great prices but as of yet untested.
Hope that helps,
Tom.

Thanks, so the 205/45 looks better? Are they are smaller tyre? Thanks for the suggestions very helpful. I always keep the same tyres through summer and winter (lazy) so I need all weather ones.

Thanks, so the 205/45 looks better? Are they are smaller tyre? Thanks for the suggestions very helpful. I always keep the same tyres through summer and winter (lazy) so I need all weather ones.
No they're a size up. The extra side-wall will protect the car and there's greater choice; DS3 amongst others now run this size so the premium brands are there. There's really no reason not to run 45s.
Never looked at all-season tyres myself so can't recommend specifics but I'd imagine that Goodyear/Pirelli/Michelin/Dunlop are the way to go (I've read that older all-seasons are pretty much just rebranded winters, hmm).
As far as the EU tyre labels are concerned: rolling resistance and noise are useful but ignore braking! They're all tested at 24(?) degrees so all-season and winters perform badly.

Agreed. On the 17" Sport wheels, 205/45 is the way to go. Greater comfort, economy, aesthetics, wheel protection, etc. As long as your steering rack is centred and you're not running significantly lowered suspension, 205/45 works a treat.

Cheers,

Tom

No they're a size up. The extra side-wall will protect the car and there's greater choice; DS3 amongst others now run this size so the premium brands are there. There's really no reason not to run 45s.
Never looked at all-season tyres myself so can't recommend specifics but I'd imagine that Goodyear/Pirelli/Michelin/Dunlop are the way to go (I've read that older all-seasons are pretty much just rebranded winters, hmm).
As far as the EU tyre labels are concerned: rolling resistance and noise are useful but ignore braking! They're all tested at 24(?) degrees so all-season and winters perform badly.

I might give the 45s a go, so would the size be 205/45ZR17 ?? Are they low profile ones?

Your current 40s are definitely low profile, the 45s have ~10mm (?) extra sidewall. Zero downsides to switching up and given that you're replacing the full set, timing's perfect. The speedometer will read accurately though, no 10% safety, just something to be aware of regards cameras.
You're after 205/45 R17 (XL if possible i.e, reinforced), I wouldn't worry too much regards load and speed rating. Lots of members run over-size tyres so it's a proven choice.

Your current 40s are definitely low profile, the 45s have ~10mm (?) extra sidewall. Zero downsides to switching up and given that you're replacing the full set, timing's perfect. The speedometer will read accurately though, no 10% safety, just something to be aware of regards cameras.
You're after 205/45 R17 (XL if possible i.e, reinforced), I wouldn't worry too much regards load and speed rating. Lots of members run over-size tyres so it's a proven choice.

Thanks so much for clarifying the size for me, I will definitely go for the 45s. Which brand would you go for?

Best bet is to take a gander at some reviews. A quick search throws up Auto Bild's 2013 round-up, they rated Goodyear top but Falken looked equally good for our climate; I'd pay more attention to wet weather performance than snow.

Agreed. On the 17" Sport wheels, 205/45 is the way to go. Greater comfort, economy, aesthetics, wheel protection, etc. As long as your steering rack is centred and you're not running significantly lowered suspension, 205/45 works a treat.

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you. What speed rating do I go for?

Something to consider - It's likely the stiffer construction of low profile, high speed rating tyres on such a light car will increase ride harshness. Stick with V or below if you have the choice of ratings,

Cheers Spike

Back