Front valance damage!

meriafel

A2OC Donor
Parked on my local promenade this evening with both front wheels an inch of so from the kerbstone in a designated tarmacked parking spot looking out to sea. Done it loads of times this year as my wife does Pilates. Could have selected any space as only one other vehicle there. Went to pull off off gently but found I was being held back! tried a couple of times but the same effect!

I was hooked by my front valance over several beach pebbles that the council decided to stick into the concrete valance above kerb. Yes it has been there for years and no I have never done it before and Yes, I was aware it was there. Normally these jobs done locally are pretty shoddily done and come detached but not this time. I was hooked over 3 long upright pebbles in failing light with no torch and had started to rip the plastic.

With the eventual help of 3 fit women, borrowed garden spade, and forks and a rough plank we managed to hold all the plastic bits in place while I reversed off. Amazingly tough for a 2001 car and all in black plastic and unpainted.

Question is, how much is a new 'under bumper'which is the largest part? The undertray was already off, washed with Polyclens, been repaired and awaiting the various fixings to join up to the wings, Webasto exhaust etc. It was quite robust as it had copper wire 'guys' holding everywhere it should have been supported so I was able to get the car up to Stoke Audi for windscreen and elsewhere for MOT etc. A strong copper lattice that retained all in place I have some Rivenuts for fitting the two side'wings' of the undertray up to the alloy side beams attached with a 6mm bolt each side.

Does anyone sell or list the various undertray fixings etc for the A2 75 SE TDI of early 2001?
I have ordered the CREE reversing light bulbs described on A2OC recently, thanks fellow member! and now want better interior lights that will still dim slowly etc. Is that possible and what do I need?

Last edited:
I bought the whole set of fixings for the undertray from an Audi Dealer, I can't remember the total cost but it was not much, after all they are just bolts,nuts, captive fixings etc.

The parts guy just went through the list of parts shown on the screen.

Steve B

By 'under bumper' if you mean the lower edge of the bumper which is black, this is actually part of the bumper moulding and is not a separate part, even though the 'mould line' makes it look that way. Its either a plastic weld type repair or a full bumper replacement I'm afraid.

Cheers Spike

Subscribed. Good luck with the repairs! Hasn't happen to my A2 yet, but it has happened with my A3 almost every winter, parking over the frosen snow...

Thanks for replies. You are right of course and the lower part is all part of the same item which is the 'bumper' having the separate grille and the two spotlight surrounds that clip in. It's a complete moulding, £274 inc Vat, the top section in primer ready to spray with body colour and lacquer. Fortunately it is very flexible and tough even after 13 years and has not suffered any cracks. Should all go back together OK with the undertray as support

I bought a new bumper for the "project" from Audi and paid over £200 but it was far from being ready to spray, it had scratches and dents and in the end Audi paid the bill for the extra work required to make it perfect (I was in a hurry to get the car ready for AITP and so couldn't wait for a replacement). The parts guys were extremely helpful and made what could have been a disaster become a small niggle!

You would be better off buying a good secondhand one and priming and painting that. I have seen them go for less than £60 for good ones.

Steve B

I bought the whole set of fixings for the undertray from an Audi Dealer, I can't remember the total cost but it was not much, after all they are just bolts,nuts, captive fixings etc.

The parts guy just went through the list of parts shown on the screen.

Steve B

Total cost from Audi parts for the fittings for undertray alone is £42.19. which does not include 3 replacement screws for the Webasto Heater exaust pipe that exits through the undertray!!!

It will be a long time before I forget the total cost!

Last edited:
I have ordered the CREE reversing light bulbs described on A2OC recently, thanks fellow member! and now want better interior lights that will still dim slowly etc. Is that possible and what do I need?

Yes, the LED bulbs I use (SMDs) on the interior lights still dim slowly as the standard bulbs did.
To me they look fantastic giving lots of bright light rather than a dim yellow light from the standard bulbs (but I suppose some people prefer the standard bulbs?)

Steve B

Back