2003 A2 Tdi 75, DMF or not?

Hi lads

had the juddering on clutch take up when pulling away from when i got the car and it has not changed

Some are saying the 75bhp variant does not have a Dual mass flywheel when I do the the part look ups it says I do have one

It certainly feel like DMF failure when letting the clutch out at low revs and the juddering you get with it

Car was at 103k when I got it is at 110k with no difference now so guess its that sort of time

Any help much appreciated

Hi, How can you be sure?

its feels exactly just like DMF failure, only feel good when you increase revs and let clutch out

The DMF was only introduced with the 90PS motor. The 75PS engine does not have a DMF.
You could have several other age/wear related issues - dogbone gearbox mount for example.

The vast majority of TDi's have this initial, slight judder at pull away. It's predominantly due to the 3 cylinder diesel engine and the balance shaft.
Very few owners pay attention to this foible.

Sometimes, if the car has had a strong remap, or the clutch has been “ridden” while in town traffic, the solid flywheel can “blue”. This is burning of the surface, which can exacerbate the problem.

As has been said, if you have a TDi75 with its original gearbox, then it has a solid flywheel.

Cheers

Jeff

The only other possible cause would be an oil leak in the bellhousing, oil on the clutch plate would cause a judder too, but if it is not significant then it may well be a design feature, but only our 90 does it (and just slightly) the 75s seem fine to me (but perhaps I have gotten used to it?

If your clutch is likely to be due a renewal soon then this may reveal the cause, but it may be better to live with it until then.

Steve B

You could also ask other TDI 75 drivers to look at it to see if the judder is the normal 3-cyl judder or something more, if you sign up to go to the autumn social (an Italian/Curry fusion restaurant) near the end of November, it'll be in the calendar.

The vast majority of TDi's have this initial, slight judder at pull away. It's predominantly due to the 3 cylinder diesel engine and the balance shaft.
Very few owners pay attention to this foible.

Sometimes, if the car has had a strong remap, or the clutch has been “ridden” while in town traffic, the solid flywheel can “blue”. This is burning of the surface, which can exacerbate the problem.

As has been said, if you have a TDi75 with its original gearbox, then it has a solid flywheel.

Cheers

Jeff

Hiya, I just had my clutch done by MR Clutch as they were the cheapest. The clutch as replaced and upon driving the car away it was juddering slightly and shaking. The mechanics said that the flywheel had be burnt heavily and needed regrinding which is a common job and they have a machine to do it in house. I think it wasn't a perfect job and exacerbates the problem as mentioned in this thread/reply. I am a bit annoyed as it was £60 extra to do this but I'm sure the flywheel would be around £250 to replace so I have decided to put up with this juddering as it's not too bad and just have to use the handbrake more even on slight hills. Cheers Aaron

Back