Getting DAB into an A2

DJ 190

A2OC Donor
Well, this topic has been covered by "Craigyb" on a couple of occasions .... I have just had a MFSW fitted which makes things easier for DAB selection. This is what "Craigyb" fitted (but has now removed) .... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paser-PASCF0050UNDB11K1-Receiver-Internal-Antenna/dp/B009IX40BU I have just spoken to a top Firm, "Hazzydayz", [London-based], and I've been surprised to be told that currently, they will not recommend or fit any after-market device into a car to receive DAB! This is because of previous reliability issues and they are currently evaluating what is available, as to suitability! The mediaDAB item is now at a very good price, but I wonder exactly what were the long-term findings of A2OC member, "Craigyb"? I am also asking for the experiences of any other A2OC members, regarding receiving DAB? Has anyone else purchased/fitted the MediaDAB device? (There's another type "AutoDAB" which is a definite no-no!)

David

I wonder if this thread is not of much interest to the A2OC? Are there very few A2's running about with DAB reception? It does seem to be worth having in my car, especially with the new MFSW? A reply or two would be of help to me ..... thanks ...

David

I wonder if this thread is not of much interest to the A2OC? Are there very few A2's running about with DAB reception? It does seem to be worth having in my car, especially with the new MFSW? A reply or two would be of help to me ..... thanks ...

David
Hi David,

I would be interested in DAB but only if it is a seamless installation, i.e. it would have to run through the RNS E unit and be fully controlled by the MFSW and also by the Audi voice commands.

If it is an extra box that doesn't fully integrate then I would not be interested.

So I would like to know the options available, especially a standard Audi OEM option.

Steve B

DAB integrated with RNS-E is something I'd love to be able to see on my car too.
There's got to be a way - surely for DAB to appear as an alternative source when you press the "Media" button on the RNS.
But I don't know what that is. Perhaps there's a way with using the Audi Multimedia Interface (AMI) first and then connecting a DAB to that?

There's got to be a way - surely for DAB to appear as an alternative source when you press the "Media" button on the RNS.

As I said at the start of this post, this is exactly what has been achieved by A2OC member, "Craigyb". He finally settled on a "MedDAB device, which I even saw in action at "Audi's-in-park"! How he did it and what he used are all in the Forum. Fairly recently, I noticed that he'd removed the MediaDAB unit and replaced it with another means of receiving DAB transmissions. His long-term appraisal and experience of the "MediaDAB" would have been of great interest to me .... The "MediaDAB" item has dropped in price several times, recently, from being well over £200! I am a bit hasty, by nature, and I fear that if I do my usual trick of impulsively buying this device, then I might find that reception is not all that it should have been .... That is why I have asked for help from members of this excellent Forum! As I have mentioned, it is hard to believe that there are so few Audi A2's having the facility to receive DAB ? The Government had even set a date for the eventual termination of analogue broadcasts!

David

David, been doing a bit of reading on other forums.
There is this DAB kit here which is well-regarded which works with RNS-E but only if you have an MFSW installed - I believe you do? Worth exploring?

http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/audi-vw-factory-fitted-kit/audi-digital-dab-oem-radio-tuner

NO,NO,NO !!!! Don't go for this! ...."Craigyb" has already tested it and binned it in favour of the MediaDAB! Just read this .....
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...AB-solution-up-and-running&highlight=mediaDAB

David

Last edited:
I don't even have normal radio :( it has never worked in the 3.5yrs I have owned my A2. Might have something to do with the brand of stereo " Sendai " ???

Eurgh, aftermarket headunit!
Contrary to popular belief here on the A2 forum, they actually work rather well, especially when its a top of the range unit mated to a set of speakers that make the Bose setup sound like a biscuit tin!

Sorry I should have added a smiley or something, I was being slightly tongue in cheek. Yes there are plenty of aftermarket solutions which can and do sound a lot better than any factory-fitted system. However, that takes time and effort to do right and usually involves a wholesale re-build of the system, and often ends up with a very unbalanced system that's all about bass and nothing else! I've not seen or heard many aftermarket set-ups in the A2 as they're not done very often.

Having said that, the A2's Bose set-up with a high-end head unit like an RNS-E or the Symphony works, and sounds very good.

Contrary to popular belief here on the A2 forum, they actually work rather well, especially when its a top of the range unit mated to a set of speakers that make the Bose setup sound like a biscuit tin!

I've just installed a Pure Highway H260dbi head unit, along with a digital aerial (stuck on inside of windscreen next to A-pillar on passenger side) and a microphone (A-pillar drivers side) and functionally it all works very well. I can't tell much difference in audio quality between it and the (non-BOSE) Concert head unit it replaced. It works very well for making calls hands free, but crucially it gets 6-music and classic FM with perfect reception - I've driven all over the north west since installing it and it hasn't dropped from 4 out of 4 bars of signal once. Obviously its not an OEM solution and looks a bit 'Halfords' (which is where it came from!) but functionally it's perfect.

I just need to sort a little problem with the rear speakers - I don't think it's using the rear amp as the rear speakers sound a bit tinny.

ps any suggestions for good DAB stations welcomed!

well I would have said the rather post-modernist ironically-named JazzFM, but they no longer broadcast on DAB nationally - only within London.
The Absolute Radio channels are quite reasonable.

Sorry to Hijack this thread.

Russell, did you have to change any wiring looms/aerials etc when fitting the H260?

I've got standard Concert with the old Pure Highway, and lots of cable :-(

Cheers

bba

PS, 6Music... the saviour!

Back