Potential A2 owner....

StueyD

Hi All,

New here and hoping to pick your brains....
I'm thinking about getting an A2 1.6 FSi.
I drove a couple of A2's a few years back when my wife was considering one and was rather taken with them.
Now I need a cheap, cheerful and hopefully reliable city car that can cope with motorways without struggling and I think the A2 might be just the trick.
I only do about 5,000 miles a year so i'm not even entertaining the idea of a diesel (plus I have a deep hatred of diesel engines anyway :) ).
As the youngest A2's are now nearly 10 years old what sort of things should be checking for?
I see mention of a buyers guide in other posts, how do I get hold of one?

I've seen the following for sale locally to me http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201410248469831 is this one known to a20c?
Any tops tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stu.

Reliable and 1.6FSi = oxymoron! If you want reliable and cheap and cheerful combined with your 'hatred' of diesel then you will need a 1.4 petrol which should be a reasonably easy find.

They seem to have loads of engine issues. Do a search and you will soon see.
Go for the 1.4 petrol but the diesel is better after owning both

I myself am a TDI man but if you can find a well cared for FSI with full service history I believe you would be fine with an FSI. As much as the above problems can come up many FSI users on here may tell you a different story and would say they love them as it has that extra power.
Best to get opinions from FSI users themselves too such as; Chb, a2sumo and others.

Good luck

Last edited:
To over simplify the debate on the various engine options, I always see it as follows

1.4 petrol - very smooth, adequately powered - perfectly acceptable
1.6 petrol - also very smooth, quick when you use the revs as you should (i.e. a much higher range than a diesel)
Both of these are very quiet engines (after being used to a diesel A2 you will think the car has stalled when you pull up because the engine is so quiet and refined

The diesel is not quiet externally, but quiet enough inside the car and a sound that you get used to very quickly and even (dare I say) LIKE after a while. It is a reassuringly "engineered" sound, if you know what I mean.
The reliability, economy and torque mean that this is by far my preferred option, the 90bhp diesel option is quick and fun to drive. The 75bhp option is definitely quick enough for modern day driving. The reduced tax cost and fuel costs (Higher MPG) of the diesel is a clincher for me.

Do I like the petrol A2s - hell yes!!!
Do I like the diesel A2s - yes, a LOT

If you don't like diesel cars generally then the A2 diesel is the best car to convince you otherwise I think.

Just my view

Steve B

Last edited:
I am not sure why you would have a hatred of diesels, Stu.

If you are thinking back to the pre turbo era, then I can perhaps understand it more.

Modern diesels are a different animal entirely.

They have oceans of torque & are a relaxing drive, as there is no real benefit in ragging them to the red line all the time.

( That said once warm, I would venture it to be good practice to rev them out every so often to minimise the carbon build up in the EGR valve & turbo. ;) )

I have had three modern turbo diesels & would not drive a petrol car out of choice.

Nige :cool:

Oh i've owned plenty of diesels in the past (last was a was a chipped 2005 Merc C 270) and I can see their appeal but for someone like me now only doing 5,000 miles a year and aware of the expensive problems that can arise in older, higher mileage diesel engines..... FORGET IT ! :)
And at 5,000 miles a year the petrol engine is actually slightly cheaper on fuel than the diesel !
And there's just something about diesels..... I'm a petrol head.

So where do I find the buyers guide?

Oh i've owned plenty of diesels in the past (last was a was a chipped 2005 Merc C 270) and I can see their appeal but for someone like me now only doing 5,000 miles a year and aware of the expensive problems that can arise in older, higher mileage diesel engines..... FORGET IT ! :)
And at 5,000 miles a year the petrol engine is actually slightly cheaper on fuel than the diesel !
And there's just something about diesels..... I'm a petrol head.

So where do I find the buyers guide?
This might help, it is a buying and owning guide.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?4309-Buying-and-owning-an-A2

I think if you ask the members about their mega mileage Diesel A2s you will probably find that in general there are no expensive problems with the Audi A2 diesel engines.
Yes there are problems but nothing weak or worn on mega mileage diesel A2s.

I have owned a diesel A2 for over 13 years and we have 5 in the family ALL diesel. We have not even had a HINT of any such problems.

But if you have formed that opinion it is not easy to change I guess, but A2 TDI owners tend to become VERY loyal to their cars.

But the petrol A2s are amazing too, so I am sure you will find the right one for you and become a huge A2 fan too.

Steve B

bear in mind the A2 does not have a DPF and the TDi 75 does not have a DMF either. The VAG PDi engines are particularly robust (unlike the later 2.0TDi) and many acheive high mileages with nothing other than regular servicing. Whilst i understand the potential appeal of the FSI in practice they are more likely to have expensive to fix faults at low mileages let alone high miles on the clock than any other A2. I have run diesels for 27 years covering over 500k miles and with over 35 different cars and both my A2 at 137k miles and my A6 at 148k miles have yet to have anything other than routine servicing and wear and tear items replaced. The argument in favour of petrol is for me solely due to the low annual mileage.

All good points from TDI fans, though with the OP's intended use of only 5k a year, implying a lot of short journeys with infrequent long journeys, the likelihood is that a low-mile 1.4 petrol will be a perfectly adequate proposition for many years with most likely comparable running costs (barring road tax) overall. The overlooked elephant in the room is certainly the purchase price of 1.4 petrols which are typically a significant £2k less than a TDI, not to mention more choice of specced-up examples, and the benefit of around town refinement and lighter controls that make the A2 a soothing and nimble companion. I've had both a TDI 75 and TDI 90; the TDI 75 seemed more intrusive at idle and whilst both are strong on the motorway, the TDI 75 clutch and gearbox are certainly heavier, and EGR valves can prove temperamental with only short journey use.

If the OP could give an idea of budget and mileage this would also help narrow down options and prospects. Undoubtedly the best way to decide would be to drive both flavours of A2..!

Im very new to A2 ownership (7 weeks on Saturday), had test drove a 1.6 FSI with under 60k on the clock was quite nippy from a standstill and smooth, after a couple of months looking for the right one for me and reading this very forum I changed my focus to a TDI model after reading lots of threads on this great site. Ended up buying a 1 owner late 54 plate TDI 75bhp model with 54k on the clock - was quite alarmed at the noise difference at first (never owned a diesel before), now 7 weeks in quite like the sound it makes and enjoy the torque even though its a un-mapped 75bhp model. I'm doing less than 5000 miles per year, not sure if a diesel is the best for me but hopefully mine will last me a good time and will hold its value well (not that i'd want to sell it).

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the forum and to the A2 fan club ;) (39 posts in seven weeks looks like you are having fun and enjoying the forum already, great)

Glad you are enjoying the TDI, surprisingly nippy aren't they?

As for the 5000 miles a year, that will be fine, especially if you take it for an "energetic" drive every now and then.

My wife has had an TDI A2 since 2001 and never does more than 5,000 a year and that has not caused any problems, but I drive it occasionally to "blow out some of the carbon".

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
DON'T GET THE 1.6FSI.
I love A2s but I have had nothing but very expensive engine problems since I have had it.
When it is running well it is great but that isn't all that often.

All the above problems.

1.4 or diesel!!!

Back