window problem

Albiej

A2OC Donor
My front passenger window has stopped working
I lowered it this morning to clear the rain and it went down about two thirds then back up by its own accord then stopped an inch from the top. It won't move via trying each switch. The auto closing using the key doesn't work the drivers side either.
Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

My front passenger window has stopped working
I lowered it this morning to clear the rain and it went down about two thirds then back up by its own accord then stopped an inch from the top. It won't move via trying each switch. The auto closing using the key doesn't work the drivers side either.
Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

If it is a mechanical fault then there is not much that can be done without a strip down.

But if it is electrical SOMETIMES disconnecting the battery for 15 mins and then reconnecting it resets errors like this. It is a longshot but something that you could try at no cost.

Steve B

Haven't had chance to try yet due to work. Can I ask, when disconnecting the battery does it mean other things will have to be reset, such as the clock and key fobs etc

just the clock (time & date) when I done mine.

For ref, anyone with a pre 2002 model car will also need to input the radio code. - I think it was mid 2002 when the canbus infotainment system was introduced and this 'remembers' the original factory fit radio unit.

Cheers Spike

I have to disconnect mine every so often. I even have the correct sized socket in the boot because the window stopped in the down position when it was raining.
You will need to reset the clock and re-synch the keys. Just put the key in and turn the ignition on, then press the lock and unlock buttons on the drivers door a couple of times and it should be all OK.
It would be nice to stop this happening. Anyone know the real cause?

Went to start it today to get the window fixed. Flat battery! When recovery managed to start it, window fixed!! Disconnecting does work. Now need to check if I need a.new battery. 11 years on original is not bad me thinks....

Went to start it today to get the window fixed. Flat battery! When recovery managed to start it, window fixed!! Disconnecting does work. Now need to check if I need a.new battery. 11 years on original is not bad me thinks....

HI,

I am glad that the advice worked, but it is a shame that you had to have the battery go flat on you to prove it !!

The batteries on the A2 seem to be pretty good, in 14 years of ownership of A2s and up to 5 at a time !! I have only ever had to replace one battery, that is pretty good.

But first check that it is not your alternator, chances are it will be the battery if it just went flat sitting there, but there could be a current drain caused by something being left on (the amount of times a flat battery was caused by leaving the indicator stalk one in the wring position and therefore leaving "parking lights" on is quite a surprise.

Batteries are expensive and alternators more so, but it is worse if you replace the battery only to find out that the alternator was the cause (and don't expect a warning light to indicate when the alternator has failed, you don't always get a warning)

Good luck
Steve B

Glad it is fixed but my battery is 12 years old so I guess this could have something to do with mine.

Did you need to re-synch the keys?

Glad it is fixed but my battery is 12 years old so I guess this could have something to do with mine.

Did you need to re-synch the keys?

Synching the keys is the easy bit though isn't it.

Not sure you would need to synch them though so I would be interested to hear if that was needed.

Steve B

Keys worked fine and the battery was flat as a flat thing on a flat day! I only had to reset the clock. The a2 is in the garage getting the battery recharged and checked to see if the charge is holding. Took the opportunity to get the rear reg lenses changed too as they are cracked. Bought from Stoke Audi and Richard.

Reactions: chb
Nothing wrong with the battery so why it went flat I don't know. The window is working too.
I'm glad I asked the garage to change the reg lens units. Apparently it was a pain with the lower section of the boot having to be removed.
Highly recommend Professional Auto Electrics in County Durham. Good prices and great service!

Nothing wrong with the battery so why it went flat I don't know. The window is working too.
I'm glad I asked the garage to change the reg lens units. Apparently it was a pain with the lower section of the boot having to be removed.
Highly recommend Professional Auto Electrics in County Durham. Good prices and great service!

Hi,

Yes the number plate lights are a pain to change, but most people get away with just replacing the front part of them (the glass and bulb-holder) and leaving the black part in situ, that is if you can get those pesky little screws undone !!

Steve B

Back