Condensation in the battery compartiment

bob13

Hy all, just noticed that for the last few days the top of the battery has condensation all over it and also the lid that goes on top is damp.Now i have read through the forum about this being a common problem with the seals at the air vents beneath both lights but my question is can this be a problem from a recent change of a bumper?
I had the car in the summer for a bumper change after an accident and i wonder if the garrage could have done something wrong so i can go back as i didn't had this problem before.
Thanks in advance!

Hy all, just noticed that for the last few days the top of the battery has condensation all over it and also the lid that goes on top is damp.Now i have read through the forum about this being a common problem with the seals at the air vents beneath both lights but my question is can this be a problem from a recent change of a bumper?
I had the car in the summer for a bumper change after an accident and i wonder if the garrage could have done something wrong so i can go back as i didn't had this problem before.
Thanks in advance!

Hi,

It is the air vents behind the rear bumper that allow water into the battery area if the seals are not fitting correctly. (not behind the lights)

I just had my vent fixed, I was getting an inch of water in the battery compartment. This was due to the paint shop removing the left hand vent and replacing it without the seal being positioned correctly.

So it is a "bumper off" job. Some people use sealer around the vents just to make sure.

Steve B

So in conclusion when the bumper was changed,the garrage had to interfere with those wents in the proces or not???

So in conclusion when the bumper was changed,the garrage had to interfere with those wents in the proces or not???

They wouldn't have to touch them just to swap a bumper but if they were damaged in the accident?

Perhaps they might have reseated them if they looked loose, even if hey weren't damaged?

Steve B

Hi,

You can see the left-hand vent indicated by the white box in the picture of my "project" when it was in the paintshop.

Rear vent.jpg

Steve B

Last edited:
ok, thanks for the info, i will go back but i doubt they will admit any liability.

Yes, unfortunately you have no proof that it wasn't leaking before the work was done and this is a known fault on A2s.

But no harm in asking, there are honest motor traders out there (somewhere)

Steve B

I went to the garrage were i had the repair done last year in september without any hope that they will admit anything(Audi main dealer) and explained the problem and mentioning about the possibility that one vent was not fitted right when the bumper was replaced,they put the car in the work shop to inspect it and 40 min later they called me that they found the issue. I went there and the problem they found was a hole were all the wires from the parking sensors are going inside the boot. Anyway the sensors were fitted on the car way before the replacement of the bumper happened with no condensation or water problem in the boot. I didn't argue with them because with the corner of my eye i notticed on the mecanic working bench an old air vent exactly like the ones fitted under the rear lights.Also they said that the hole was coverred with some special silicone .When money came to discution they said that is free of charge without any explanation!!!
So they didn't admit anything but they've donne the repair free of charge. I think they changed the vent as the old one was broken and they didn't change it at the time of the accident.

Back