New wheels but what tyres?

scott

A2OC Donor
So, bought these new wheels (well girlfriend got me them for Xmas) Iv always liked these
image.jpg
17" Audi TT comps, not in great shape to be honest had an awful refurb job in a dull silver and also been badly curbed again! My plan was to get them and refurb them anyway. So got them to work left them to soak in thinners and.......
image.jpg
And after a bit of jet washing....
image.jpg
Tadaaaaaaa
Here's a pic of the difference with the terrible old paint job
image.jpg
I love the polished look but because of how badly curbed the are it would have to be re dimond cut or what ever it is they do and I couldn't afford it. So I got to work with the DA... Whilst shedding a tear ....
image.jpg
Took all the polished surface back :((
And here they are at present in primer
image.jpg
Hopefully next week I'll be painting them gloss black, now I need help deciding what size tyre to put on them, what will look best? What are people's veiws on stretched tyres?

What are people's veiws on stretched tyres?

You asked, so I will give my honest opinion.

They are dangerous and illegal and your nice and shiny wheels will be ripped apart at the slightest contact with the kerb.

I have seriously modified lots of cars and so this is not just a case of "don't change or modify anything" it really is friendly safety advice.

Tyres are the only contact you have with the road, so stick to legal tyres and legal and appropriate sizes, such as 205/40/17s

Steve B

This is why I asked. the guy I bought them of said he had stupidly stretched tyres on a polo he had and he went around a corner abit quick and the tyres come clean off the rims! I thought maybe their was a slight "safe" stretch. I think stretched tyres look good but was always gonna be a no if even the slightest bit dangerous as I have two children. So is that all that will go on them then? What do we think of hankook tyres? Any experience with them anyone?

Hankook tyres seem to have a reasonable reputation, anything more and you are talking silly money, such as Pirelli, Dunlop and Goodyear.

205 / 40 / 17s are a nice low profile and look good in my opinion and they are the right size for the wheel, assuming that they are 7" wide or 7.5 max

Steve B

Hankook tyres seem to have a reasonable reputation, anything more and you are talking silly money, such as Pirelli, Dunlop and Goodyear.

205 / 40 / 17s are a nice low profile and look good in my opinion and they are the right size for the wheel, assuming that they are 7" wide or 7.5 max

Steve B

225/45 r17 Are aparently the standard tyre put on these?? And yes your correct, I get tyres cheaper at work and the price for the hankook are £60ish a corner and continental (Iv always put on my 16's) are £90ish!! Big difference!

225/45 r17 Are aparently the standard tyre put on these?? And yes your correct, I get tyres cheaper at work and the price for the hankook are £60ish a corner and continental (Iv always put on my 16's) are £90ish!! Big difference!

225 45 17 are the wrong rolling diameter for an A2. Your speedo would be showing 90mph and you would be doing 96 and they are so much taller than they should be that they might rub.
225 40 would be much closer to the right diameter and your speedo would be accurate but check the width as Mike says below.
Steve B

Last edited:
225/45/17 will be to big and will rub 215/40/17 is as big as you want to go. cheers mike---they are one of my favourite wheels.

Are we saying the wheels won't fit or I need to put different size tyres on them :s

Are we saying the wheels won't fit or I need to put different size tyres on them :s
The tyres are the wrong size, but the wheels will fit (as long as they are 5 stud 100mm bolt pattern and an offset of 35 or so.

Steve B

The tyres are the wrong size, but the wheels will fit (as long as they are 5 stud 100mm bolt pattern and an offset of 35 or so.

Steve B

!!!!! Nearly had a heart attack! Thanks so much if I hadn't of put this on here I would have bought that tyre size!!! I will get a Price tomorrow for the size you say and make a note of the size!!! Yes wheel are of that bolt pattern and offset. I used the wheel size thread of this brilliant owners club before I bought them, just didn't pay much attention to tyre sizes!! Had no idea the size would affect anything!

Thanks so much

Go for the 215 40 17s that Mike recommended, 225 is a tad too wide.

I have 215s on mine and they rub ever so slightly when there are 4 adults in the car and you go too quickly over a speed bump.

Steve B

225/45/17 will be to big and will rub 215/40/17 is as big as you want to go. cheers mike---they are one of my favourite wheels.

Thank you
And yes I love these wheels, I always fancied the A8 wheels?? In the film transporter 2 but think they look odd on the a2. Just wish I could have had mine re polished they look amazing on a black car :(

Go for the 215 40 17s that Mike recommended, 225 is a tad too wide.

I have 215s on mine and they rub ever so slightly when there are 4 adults in the car and you go too quickly over a speed bump.

Steve B

So 215/40 17 are definetly the size to go for?

Thank you very much.
I will post a picture of them painted hopefully next week after a late night in the spray booth :)

Thanks again.

I followed the recommendations from the A2 experts here and fitted 215/40 summer tires and 205/40 winter tyres on TT wheels which have the same size as yours - 7.5 x 17 ET32.

Cheers,
Darko

Back