DIY/aftermarket heated seat kit

This is for genuine parts I want to do it with after market,

Thanks tho, was interesting to read

Yes, I've just purchased 2 kits for £170, plus 2 linking harnesses .... £190, sent. The good news is that they have still got 20 elements in stock. Of course, you will need lots more to fully do the job .... controllers, wiring, etc., but this nis at least a start!

David

Yes, I've just purchased 2 kits for £170, plus 2 linking harnesses .... £190, sent. The good news is that they have still got 20 elements in stock. Of course, you will need lots more to fully do the job .... controllers, wiring, etc., but this nis at least a start!

David
That's far more than I have to spend, good luck with the job tho. Maybe I'll just take the plunge and buy one of these ebay kits.......

That's far more than I have to spend, Maybe I'll just take the plunge and buy one of these ebay kits.......

Well, if you don't mind that the heating is not true Audi/VW, then I've got absolutely everything that you need .... and it 100% works! You can do the job completely .... all the wiring, etc. There are full seat and back-rest elements and they are the latest type. They are currently fitted to my A2 S.E. seats. I'm just about to remove them ..... you can have the lot for £130 ... (Oh, the controllers are the rotary type and give good temperature control) P.M. me if you're interested. I'm not sure what you're referring too when you say "Ebay kits"? At least mine is of a good quality and is proven? It will obviously fit your seats, too!

David

Thanks for the offer but I don't really have that sort of money to spend on it (Iv got to buy 4 tyres for the 17" wheels I'm returbing) especially this close to Xmas!

Thanks

Owners club give me your wisdom.....

These
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301094518286

Or these
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151006223691
If you have the time to have a look and give an opinion on what one is better I'd really appreciate it. £60 is max I want to spend and want to order them now so hopefully I get it before Xmas!

Thank you

The first kit has pads that look very narrow, that often leads to cold legs and a hot bum!!!!

The second kit is slightly wider and so gives a more even heat I would imagine.

My trimmer (who trims the most expensive cars you can imagine) uses a kit that is similar to both of these and costs around the same.

If he believes that a £60 kit is good enough for Lambos and Bentleys etc. then I would not expect there would be any benefit from spending more.

I don't know the kit he uses but he is very impressed with it.

So my preference would be for the second kit in the links above. BUT I am not sure about the blue illumination, the first kit has red that matches the rest of your dash.

Steve B

Last edited:
Thank you, I have bought the second kit, I thought it looked a bit better also. Yes I would prefer the red illumination (that is what attract me to the 1st kit) but I'll see if I can change the blue bulb maybe?? If not it doesn't matter as I have an alpine head unit that lights up blue anyway. It's a bit odd having the heated seat symbol blue as on the more posh cars that usually mean a cold seat!

Thank you for taking the time to look, I thought exactly as you did so that made my decision. Hopefully it gets here before Christmas :)

Thanks again

Last edited:
image.jpg

It has arrived :) I now have two weeks off work and have brought my tool box home :) pictures to follow when the kids can entertain them selfs for a while :) tho they will probably want to help :) :)

Yes, not bad ! They do look all the same size, though? Both the ones that I have just removed and the new VW Passat elements are distinctly different for the base and back-rest. The base has extra pieces for the side-cheeks. Have you tried them for coverage? It is very difficult to actually fit them yourself. I stripped-down my seats easily enough, but you're then faced with having to use a special pair of pliers and copper loops to reattach the seat covering. I did buy all that I'd need, but finally used an Auto re-upholsterer! If you want those pliers and loops to do the job yourself, then you could have mine for just a few Bob!

David

The kit is trim able, this is it straight out the pack, thank you but I have everything that is needed :)

image.jpg

So far I have ran all the wires to where they need to be and put the switches in. It was getting late I was stressed and rushing so switches arn't perfect but they will do. I havnt connected any wires yet because I'm still working them out but they are in the right place to wire them in. I've also put one heater element in on the passengers back, what a nightmare job! I'll insall the others another day because I need the car and don't have the time at the moment!!

Also if anyone could give me the name/part number and or price of the missing blank you can see in the picture I'd really appreciate it. It really annoying me that being missing!

Last edited:
That's a good position for the controllers! I doubt if anyone else has thought of putting them there! They look like true Audi controllers? If that is the case, then it would be pure chance that they will be compatible with the heater-pads. You may well be "fried" or not have a suitable range of heating. This was why I completely removed everything from my car and replaced with VW elements and correct controllers. Anyway, maybe things will be O.K. What about the wiring to those controllers, though? There were differences in my wiring, too. I have that blank and you can have it for free

David

That would be great I'm happy to pay you for the blank?

The switches look very similar to the origional ones that is why I chose them, their was about 3 or 4 switch options, it's all wired up now and works! I just need to put 1 heater element on the bottom passenger side and then both on the drivers side, the only shame about the switch is the heater sign lights up blue!! I put the switches there because I had a hole there from when I use to have a switch for a subwoofer, so it was a chance to fill that in! :) and its nice and easy to reach :)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is them on, shame about the blue but it doesn't bother me because my CD player lights up blue.

Last edited:
Getting there, just putting the passenger bottom back together now
image.jpg
I'm having to modify the seats around this kit
image.jpg
Trimming these rods for a start. I'm also using heavy duty cable ties rather than hog rings to secure the fabric back again, this is much easier I think and works just as well

Getting there, just putting the passenger bottom back together now
I think you must have misunderstood the instructions, it is supposed to go into the seat, not your passenger's bottom? (well I suppose that would result in a warm seat whichever car they are in?)

Steve B

Back