Audi A2 2001, 1.4 TDI 55 kW, oil pump chain.

Bulka3000

Good day,

I'm new owner of A2 and I have a question for you guys. You see I got a Audi from second hand and it has 130'000 miles on clock. Please can you give me advise about oil pump chain ? What do you think do I need change it to prevent damage or not ? Does any one do this type of job ? Because at the moment I'm planning to change timing belt and thinking to drop oil pan and change it also but in otherwise if this not necessary why waist money and time.

Also trying to surf internet about this but only few people have problems with this chain :/ so I'm really flustered at the moment....

:confused:

Hi Bulka3000, welcome to the A2oc.

As you found, failures of the chain are quite rare and I've not heard of anyone replacing it as a preventative measure. Personally, I suspect failure would most likely be triggered by deterioration of the hydraulic chain tensioner.
Have you checked the Lupo owners club web site for their experiences with chain failures

Cheers Spike

Spike,

Ye i check internet and find only few peoples about that problems at the moment evrything its ok but my friend which ones car service saying that he has invoice from big marketing company which have ~ 10 Audi a2 and almost all of them after more then 200 000 km on clock have this kind of problems. So im just a little bit scare :/ I like this tiny stylish car :DDD

I'd be interested to know if those 10 A2s were on extended oil change intervals rather than the more engine friendly 16000 km / yearly change period.
As our engines get older, due to general bore and ring wear, more carbon and acids from combustion (even if low sulphur fuel is used) contaminate the oil and can cause sludge / deposits to build up in small oil galleries. Pure speculation but this may be a cause of chain tensioner failure / flapping chains and the damage they cause.

Cheers Spike

Could be could be :) it's ok when engine works good, but you know..... Amm just for fun maybe you know how much for used engine ?

Could be could be :) it's ok when engine works good, but you know..... Amm just for fun maybe you know how much for used engine ?

Your engine code will be AMF so its just a case of searching e.bay and salvage yards for replacement prices. Just be aware that a fully dressed AMF engines from other VW models will not be a direct fit. It's usually necessary to stand the old and new engines side by side and swap over anything which is different.

Cheers Spike

Back