4th A2 in 12 months

Tommy108

Hi
Just thought I'd introduce myself and my latest purchase.
In the last 12 months I've owned 4 A2's all as soon as I own one I find a million reasons to sell it, too small, too noisy,ride too hard,not a cool car for a 6'6 bloke etc etc but as soon as its gone I miss it!
So to the latest purchase a 2002 TDI SE, quick look over the car no test drive, yep that will do and hand over the cash..... Whoops lots of issues on way home
Knocking from front suspension, tyre went flat within hours,lots of condense on windows, glass roof won't open, condense in headlights, can't open the boot, when I did it was full of water, no radio reception,oh and finally headlamp washers not working.
So a few jobs to be getting on with, jobs done so far fixed the tyre!
Lucky it's not my everyday car or I'd be a bit fed up, still it will give me something to do...... Just where to start??..
Any suggestions apart from scrap it most welcome, and before anyone asks it was cheap

Hi
Just thought I'd introduce myself and my latest purchase.
In the last 12 months I've owned 4 A2's all as soon as I own one I find a million reasons to sell it, too small, too noisy,ride too hard,not a cool car for a 6'6 bloke etc etc but as soon as its gone I miss it!
So to the latest purchase a 2002 TDI SE, quick look over the car no test drive, yep that will do and hand over the cash..... Whoops lots of issues on way home
Knocking from front suspension, tyre went flat within hours,lots of condense on windows, glass roof won't open, condense in headlights, can't open the boot, when I did it was full of water, no radio reception,oh and finally headlamp washers not working.
So a few jobs to be getting on with, jobs done so far fixed the tyre!
Lucky it's not my everyday car or I'd be a bit fed up, still it will give me something to do...... Just where to start??..
Any suggestions apart from scrap it most welcome, and before anyone asks it was cheap

Hi

Knocking from front suspension - this will be anti roll bar bushes or drop links and many A2s suffer from this. Not very expensive to fix
lots of condense on windows + can't open the boot, when I did it was full of water - sounds like your rear vents (behind the bumper just under the rear lights) need to be re-sealed. Again not costly but time consuming.
condense in headlights - VERY common, some people even put silica bags inside the headlamps to soak up the condensation, but many just live with this.
No Radio reception - the aerials are all in the tailgate under the fabric trim panel (which pulls off with a LOT of force) they have elements in th rear glass.
can't open the boot - DId you open it using the "emergency" cable pull?Just at the bottom of the window on top of the fabric trim use your key to prise out the plastic and gently pull the cable. (I suspect that the radio reception and boot opening problem might be linked perhaps? they both require power via the loom in the tailgate? Check your fuses for the tailgate release)
glass roof won't open - This is classed as "BrokenSky" and many A2 owners have this issue, the cables etc. are a bot fragile after time (especially if the roof is not opened regularly) Many just leave it happy with the glass roof as it is, repairs are expensive but there are people on here that can fix them.

Steve B

Many thanks for help

Knocking from front suspension - this will be anti roll bar bushes or drop links and many A2s suffer from this. Not very expensive to fix
lots of condense on windows + can't open the boot, when I did it was full of water - sounds like your rear vents (behind the bumper just under the rear lights) need to be re-sealed. Again not costly but time consuming.
condense in headlights - VERY common, some people even put silica bags inside the headlamps to soak up the condensation, but many just live with this.
No Radio reception - the aerials are all in the tailgate under the fabric trim panel (which pulls off with a LOT of force) they have elements in th rear glass.
can't open the boot - DId you open it using the "emergency" cable pull?Just at the bottom of the window on top of the fabric trim use your key to prise out the plastic and gently pull the cable. (I suspect that the radio reception and boot opening problem might be linked perhaps? they both require power via the loom in the tailgate? Check your fuses for the tailgate release)
glass roof won't open - This is classed as "BrokenSky" and many A2 owners have this issue, the cables etc. are a bot fragile after time (especially if the roof is not opened regularly) Many just leave it happy with the glass roof as it is, repairs are expensive but there are people on here that can fix them.

Steve B[/QUOTE]

Hi Steve
Many thanks for the reply and the suggestions some of which I've looked at today.
The boot has a power supply as I can hear sellenoid working, I've tried the emergency boot release that came off in my hand .... Whoops so I went for the panel removal This has revealed the nylon piston on sellenoid is lazy and won't pull back the latch so I've ordered a new one.
I also found a small black box with audio type connections under water so I guess This maybe the radio fault?
As for suspension a trip to the local garage by the sounds of it, and the water leak I attempt myself if I can figure out how to remove bumper
Many thanks for all your assistance
Jonathan D

Back