Hello from a potential owner!

Dal

A2OC Donor
Hello from a potential owner! ** now got one!**

Hi,

Finally signed up today from a week or two of intense browsing and information gleaning...

.. currently looking for a lovely conditioned TDi to act as a reliable daily 70 mile commuting car through decent A roads and a few sweepy B roads.

I looked at a 80k mile 75 TDi and 90k mile 90 TDi today and confess that the 90 felt much better regardless of the history and condition; that is opinion after all.

I've read about the higher potential costs involved with the 90 and hence why I've initially discounted it, but upon driving the 90 (on the way home from driving the 75) I learnt that it's had a new dual mass fly wheel (Assuming the clutch was changed too?) so that's one cost discounted already.

The two cars are about the same age (within a couple of months) and similar mileage (about 80-90k)

I'm not that bothered with performance to be honest as I'm getting a second car as a daily commuter so MPG is king (I've an M3 in the garage for fun times) so even though the 90 has a new clutch/DMF but potential variable turbo issues, which would you go for?

Last edited:
HI,

Welcome to the A2and the fantastic forum.

I would go for the 90, they just seem to be a slightly nicer power delivery from the engine.

As you say you are not looking for speed, but the 90 seems to be a more "laid back" drive, if you know what I mean?

The MPG is almost identical in my experience.

As for the Dual Mass flywheel and variable vanes they have as much chance of lasting out your ownership as any other parts.

There are lots of 90s around with 130K or more on the clock, so lots more miles left before you get to that stage and well beyond.

Steve B

Welcome to the forum. I'd just go for the better car of the two condition wise as you could always just remap the 75!

Welcome to the forum. I'd just go for the better car of the two condition wise as you could always just remap the 75!
Yeah, condition and history is key for me. I'm looking at another 75 tomorrow but the 90 from today is still in the lead tbh...
Anything apart from the usual to look out for?
(The 75 had electronic climate issues... No cold air (stuck vent?)) The 90 had dial control..

Yeah, condition and history is key for me. I'm looking at another 75 tomorrow but the 90 from today is still in the lead tbh...
Anything apart from the usual to look out for?
(The 75 had electronic climate issues... No cold air (stuck vent?)) The 90 had dial control..

Air con that is not blowing cold is quite often due to no gas, but even though it is not expensive to top up the gas, there must be a leak for it to need the gas and radiators are not cheap, worse still compressors.

So I would steer clear of faulty air con, if it was just needing a regas the owner probably would have done it.

Dial control is NOT air con, so steer clear of that too (only because of the slight reduction in sales value.) You will see lots of cars with round controls stated as having Air Con and they are wrong.
There are owners on here with A2s with no Air Con fitted, and they are obviously happy with that, but I personally wouldn't want t buy an A2 without air con, it is just a personal choice.
If I see a great car and then spot it has round controls i.e. no air con I just move on to the next car.

There is a buying guide on this forum that would help you it is here .
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?4309-Buying-and-owning-an-A2

Steve B

Last edited:
The main problem on cars without climate control is the cabin can be very 'boomy' with the windows open in hot weather. The effect can be reduced by cracking open opposite front and rear windows but even so, it's not ideal. Probably worth checking this out for a few minutes to feel the effect, even though its miserable weather at the moment.

Cheers Spike

Ah - didn't realise that dial controls meant no aircon. He was insistent that the ECON button was the aircon but I reminded him it was an economy button :p (disengages the extra heater I've >>read?<<) Dealers eh?

The broken aircon bloke called back later that day to say it was now ice cold so a suspected sticky valve / gate?

Thanks for the input already - gotta love an owners forum ;)

Put a deposit down on one!

It's a 75TDI SE 2004 with 73000 miles, climate, new cambelt and a years MOT. Just needs a damn good detail ("clean" to those non OCD cleaning bufties like me) to get rid of the odd light scratch and get it up to standard.

Getting it next Sunday.

15341985503_f46835d8e7_z.jpg

;)

Put a deposit down on one!

It's a 75TDI SE 2004 with 73000 miles, climate, new cambelt and a years MOT. Just needs a damn good detail ("clean" to those non OCD cleaning bufties like me) to get rid of the odd light scratch and get it up to standard.

Getting it next Sunday.

15341985503_f46835d8e7_z.jpg

;)

Glad you found an A2 that you liked, looking forward to seeing some pictures "post detail"

I restored a 1953 Morris Minor and paid for a very expensive paint job and was very pleased with the result, but black shows up swirl lines and every imperfection.
I paid a LOT to have it detailed and WOW, what a transformation!!!

So I can imagine why you class yourself as a little OCD, you have to be that way to properly detail a car. It is almost an art.

Best wishes
Steve B

Yeah ; my "quick washes" turn into full day epics if I'm not careful. :rolleyes:

As Audi paint is quite hard, I'll be going at it with my machine polisher when it warms up a bit.

Picked it up today :)

Drove like a dream on the 100 mile trip home. Went better than expected on the motorway especially the 60-80mph over taking ability as I'd forgotten how well diesels overtook since selling my Mondeo ST Tdci.

Anyway, pictures now it's home and next to the other halves TT:

16018471811_81d59288b6_c.jpg

16020418725_c3af9860ee_c.jpg

15994672946_11ac1c678d_c.jpg

15833165300_dfe5b14424_c.jpg

15834379859_92f733fb21_c.jpg

15833007828_66bd86a94f_c.jpg

16018472991_81c8193fb5_c.jpg

16020419205_91c61abc8e_c.jpg

15400797513_0d86ceddc2_c.jpg

Things to do:

Get the plastic disc off the dash and remove the glue
Get a set of decent wheel centre caps
Give it a bloomin good wash
Get a spare set of alloys or at least a spare wheel
Sort the worn temperature button out

Hi,

It looks great (and the two cars look well together!!)

Interested to hear about how things go with it and I am sure that your A2 will get "under your skin" and the longer you own it, the more you will like it.

The test comes later when you start to think, "If I were ever to replace my A2, what the heck could replace it and be such a complete package!!!"

Steve B

Hello and welcome to the club. The bodywork looks very unblemished from the photos. Like you say a reconditioning valet will rejuvenate it and also makes the car feel more like your own after you've spent some TLC on it.

Sounds like your list of to do isn't too onerous. Enjoy the car and look forward to reading how you get on with it.

I just did that selling my often overlooked Ford Puma so went in a completely different direction for a daily driver but I can understand the "under the skin" thing :)

I've got a mint E46 M3 in the garage so that's the fun car ;)

Any body know the best place to get a spare set of alloys? Just the usual ebay trawling?

Back