Automatic light + Coming / Leaving home

DasWiesel

Just found and installed a nice new extra I´ve bought at the well known internet auction site.
It´s a little box turning on and off your low beam automatically in tunnels and at night, plus a coming- and leaving home function for your fog lights.
Payed about 60 € and this is what you get. Switch-box, light sensor, new light switch with "auto" position and alu knob, some zip ties and rather hard to read instructions. :D

L1050820kl-vi.jpg

L1050823kl-vi.jpg

L1050826kl-vi.jpg

For wiring there´s no elaborate work needed, plug&play only.
Pop out the old switch, connect cable and new switch to the box and attach the light sensor. Light sensor comes with self adhesive tape on it and can easily be fixed somewhere on the dash.
Zip ties were used to install the relay box behind the light switch.

L1050833kl-vi.jpg

L1050837kl-vi.jpg

L1050838kl-vi.jpg

Too many pics for one post!
Second part will follow as soon as this one is visible, as i guess this one has to be checked by an admin first like all my post before....

Great, no check this time so here we go!

As the set i took was made for a VW Golf Mk4, i had to make some adjustments. I had to cut out the cover to get some space for the new switch.

L1050852klJPG-vi.jpg

L1050854kl-vi.jpg

L1050862kl-vi.jpg

Won´t stay forever like this. Still have to decide how to adapt cover and switch to each other. As you can see there´s a gap left, but it´s all functional so far and working nicely.

L1060187kl-vi.jpg

Love it. I definitely want this upgrade. One of the things i really like about the Q5. Thanks for sharing this.

Is there an external light sensor somewhere so that it can detect the changes in light levels for (for example), when you drive into and out of a tunnel?

Glad you like it!

Yes, there is a external light sensor.
You can even program the relay box to your needs and tell it when to turn on and off.
L1050826akl.jpg

Glad you like it!

Yes, there is a external light sensor.
You can even program the relay box to your needs and tell it when to turn on and off.
View attachment 17063

This is a great add on, I would like to try this one and see if I can get it to look OEM.

Thanks for the info, but is there a link to where I could buy it or should I just seach eBay?

Cheers
Steve B

Hi Julian,

Thank you for that and as for your English, it is excellent and we will help if we can, but so far there is no need!!!!

Well done and thanks for this link to an interesting option.

Just emailed the seller to ask if they ship to the UK, I will let you know what they say.

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi,

I just ordered this, they ship to the UK for 15 Euros.

So I will see what I can do with this, it would give me two extras that I really wanted to have, Auto lights and the "coming home" option.

I have a spare headlamp switch unit I can experiment with, I will report back when I have received it and had a play.

Steve B

The parts arrived quite quickly and I have already had a play with an old light switch unit I have.

Good news, I think there is a way of mounting this without cutting anything and having it fit perfectly.
There is a compromise though, I plan to use the old switch symbols and so they wont be exactly correct.
But the switch fits, no cutting, nice and secure too.
This is all thanks to Audi standardising things.

The approach I am using is as follows. (after removing the switch panel from the car)

Firstly I separate the old switch from the switch surround as can be seen here.
The switch arm itself means that it is a tight squeeze to get it out, but it does go, just unclip the small locating clips just behind the fascia.
Old dismantled.jpg

Then separate the icon ring (for want of a better word) from the new switch.
You will have to remove the chrome trim from the switch arm by carefully inserting a thin screwdriver as shown and easing each side of the trim away from the arm until it clicks. You have to remove the trim or the icon ring won't go past the switch arm
This shows how to get the chrome trim off the switch arm
Removing silver trim piece.jpg
Once you have that off you can remove the icon ring as can be seen here (again just a few clips holding it on)
New dismantled.jpg

You can then simply insert the new switch into the old fascia and it clicks into place nicely (albeit with the sidelight icon where the Auto icon should be, the Headlamp icon where the sidelight icon should be and no icon where the new headlight position is (due to the additional "auto" icon) but I m happy enough with that at the moment.
New in situ.jpg

If you ever need to remove the switch after installation the chrome trim prevents you from pushing the switch in to release it, so either leave the chrome trim off or simply remove it when you need to take the switch unit out.

As you can see, the back of the original switch (on the left) has a socket that matches the one on the new control box (on the right). So instead of connecting the original lighting plug to the light switch you connect it to the new control unit, a small plug then goes from the control unit to the new switch and you are done!!!
Sockets.jpg

The biggest problem is that the kit comes with an instruction sheet IN CHINESE !!!
But the eBay site has installation instructions but these are in GERMAN!!!!
I just need to figure out the bit about the fuse? I don't know which one, but I guess it is related to the current draw from the foglamps for the coming home function, I think this might only be needed if you have Xenons / HID dipped beams with a large current draw.
But Google translate helps a lot with this and you can just about figure out how to set up the control for first time use and how to ensure that the light sensor is set up correctly. (a combination of switching from off to Auto a set number of times)
I will try and translate these if I can.
But for around £60 you can have auto lights and a coming home function and apart from the icons not being perfectly relevant, it still looks OEM.

HUGE thanks to Julian for letting us know about its existence.
I will try and find a way to get the right icons, but that would almost certainly involve cutting so I will put up with me knowing what each switch position does.
To be honest it is only the final icon that is missing (because of the insertion of the "Auto" position) the other icons are in the right place but not necessarily with the right "picture".

I will now repeat the process but on the actual light switch in "the project" and report back.

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
WELL !!!!
I am VERY pleased with this kit, they said "Plug and Play" and that is not far from the truth.

It was a very easy install and everything looks OEM (the icons being one out of step on the light switch is not noticeable)

I plugged it all in to the "Project" and primed it as suggested in the (German and Chinese) instructions and everything worked first time.
Tested everything and the Auto function works as it should, so I now have auto headlights and a nice "coming home" function on the fog lights and that too worked straight away with no problems.

These are not vital options to have, but when you are trying to build a fully specced car they are effectively "must haves".

So thank you again Julian, this has been one of the best value for money options I have fitted to the car !!!!!

Steve B

Hi,

A REALLY naff video I just took (it was freezing cold)

It shows the operation of the coming home function, which most people are familiar with.

In the video it starts off pitch black and when I remotely unlock the car the fog lights come on to show the way. If I waited they would have gone off again (timed)
Similarly when I exit the car the fogs will light again to light the way "home"

By the way the constant flashing of the hazards is a setting on the "RemoteKey" and I will be changing the settings on that ASAP it is driving me nuts!!!
http://youtu.be/ZOtOSJLfUfU

Steve B

Last edited:
But the eBay site has installation instructions but these are in GERMAN!!!!
I

Why don´t you just ask for help?

GERMAN version:
Merkmale
1. Automatisches Einschalten von Abblend- und Rücklicht, wenn es dunkel ist. Fernlicht schaltet sich ein, wenn es noch dunkler wird.
2. Automatische Coming/Leaving Home Lichtfunktion.
3. Plug and play Installation.

Schalterfunktionen
Schalter Einmal Drehen vertikal Zweimal Drehen vertikal
"0" Aus
"Auto" Hauptlichter
"Abblendlicht" Stadtlichter Stadtlichter und Nebelscheinwerfer vorne Stadtlichter und Nebelscheinwerfer (vorne und falls hinten vorhanden)
"Hauptlicht" Hauptlichter Hauptlichter und Nebelscheinwerfer vorne Hauptlichter und Nebelscheinwerfer (vorne und falls hinten vorhanden)

Installationsanleitung
1. Nehmen Sie den alten Schalter heraus, indem Sie den Schalter auf ‘0’ drehen und den Knopf drücken, dann im Uhrzeigersinn 15 Grad nach links drehen und herausziehen.
2. Neuen Schalter einsetzen: Verbinden Sie den Kabelanschluss mit dem neuen Schalter und befestigen Sie diesen. Drehen Sie den Schalter auf die 2. Position, wenn funktionstüchtig, schaltet sich nun das Abblendlicht ein/aus.
3. Test: Bedecken Sie den Sensor mit einem komplett lichtundurchlässigem Objekt, die Scheinwerfer leuchten für eine Sekunde auf.
4. Suchen Sie eine geeignete Position für den Sensor. Öffnen Sie den Sicherungkasten und holen Sie den Sensorknopf heraus. Kleben Sie diesen an die A-Säule, ca 10-15 cm vom Dach weg oder dort, wo die A- Säule mit der Windschutzscheibe zusammentrifft. Bitte benutzen Sie zur Anbringung Heisskleber

Detaillierte Installationsanweisung

1. Vor dem ersten Gebrauch, bitte auf Fabrikeinstellung zurücksetzen. Einstellung wie unten gezeigt: AUTO--0--AUTO--0--AUTO Positions- und Abblendlicht blinken, Zurücksetzung ist beendet.
2. Die Stromquelle der Leaving Home Funktion ist das Positionslicht, deshalb ersetzen Sie diese Lampe bitte mit einer 20A, falls Sie eine Xenon Lampe benutzen oder Ihre NSW viel Strom brauchen.
3. Das rote Kabel ist der Leaving Home Funktion Jumper und sollte mit dem positiven „+“ des Blinklichtes verbunden werden. (Bitte nicht mit der normalen Spannung verbinden, da sonst die Nebelleuchten und das Positionslicht bei Dunkelheit ständig leuchten)
4. Bitte stellen Sie sicher, dass der Sensor an einer gut beleuchteten Stelle angebracht ist.
5. Das Modul speichert die Lichtbedingungen wenn Sie das Abblendlicht einschalten. Wenn es dunkel ist, benutzen Sie es so: AUTO-- Vorderlicht --AUTO-- Vorderlicht —AUTO, danach leuchtet das Positions- und Vorderlicht einmal auf und speichert die aktuellen Lichtgegebenheiten der Umgebung. Wenn die aktuelle Lichthelligkeit höher als die ist, bei der der Sensor das Vorderlicht anschaltet, schaltet sich das Vorderlicht nicht von alleine ein. Falls die aktuellen Lichtbedingungen allerdings innerhalb der gespeicherten Lichtbedingungen sind, wird das Vorderlicht automatisch eingeschaltet.

ENGLISH version:
Features

1. Auto-switching of low-beam and rear lights, when it´s dark. High beam switches on, when it´s even darker.
2. Automatic Coming/leaving home light-funktion
3. Plug and play installation (ok this was really obvious)

Switch functions

switch turning once vertical turning twice vertical

"0" off
"Auto" main lights
"low beam" city lights city lights and fog lights front city lights and fog lights (front and if present back)
"main lights" main lights main lights and fog lights front main lights (front and if present back)

Installation manual
1. Remove the old switch by turning it into "0" position and pushing the knob, then turn it clockwise 15 degrees to the left and pull it out.
2. Insert new switch: Connect the cable connection with the new switch and fix it. Turn the switch to the 2nd position, if fully functional low beam will turn on/off now.
3. Test: Cover the sensor with a fully light-tight object, front lights will light up for a second.
4. Search for a decent position for the sensor. Open up the fuse box and put out the sensor button. Glue it on the a-pillar, about 10 - 15 cm away from the roof, or where a-pillar and windsreen are joining. Please use hot glue for attachment.

Detailed installation manual

1. Before first use, please reset to factory adjustment. Adjustment as shown below:
"Auto -- 0 -- Auto -- 0 -- Auto" position lights and low beam flash, reset is done.
2. Power source for leaving home is position light, therefore replace this bulb (I think the fuse is ment here!) with a 20A, if you´re using Xenon-bulbs or your fog lights are consuming much power.
3. Red wire is the leaving home jumper and should be connected with the positive "+" of the flashing light. (Please do not connect to normal voltage, because otherwise fog lights and position light will constantly be on)
4. Please make sure that the sensor is fixed at a well-lighted place
5. Unit will save light conditions when you turn on low beam. When it´s dark, use it like that: "Auto -- front light -- Auto -- front light -- Auto". Position and front lights will flash up once afterwards and current light conditions will be saved. If the current brightness is higher than the one at which the sensor is turning on the front lights, front light will not turn on by itself. If current light conditions are within saved conditions, front lights will turn on automatically.

I really did my very best to translate it word for word. Be assured the German version sounds as strange and makes as much sense as the English one. :p
I think the seller is mixing up several terms like "front lights", "low beam" and "position lights", not sure when to use which one.
The correct translation of parking light would be "Standlicht", low beam is "Abblendlicht" and high beam would be "Fernlicht".

Last edited:
Hi Julian,

Thank you so much.

But I did ask for help, I posted a request on the German section of this forum

You have been so helpful, I really do appreciate it.

As I say the kit is fitted and functioning correctly, so thanks for letting us know that the kit was available on eBay.

Steve B

Last edited:
Back