Mysterious water leaks

audi Atwo

Past Member
Hi all yesterday night I got out of my car and noticed a large plume of steam coming out from the front bumper no over heating or warning light of water loss but when I took of the bonnet and the steam cleared I noticed my water tank was empty I refilled this immediately and put the cap back on and the bonnet back on till the next day. On return I opened the bonnet to find it drained again. Refilled with water and started the engine which when looking under the engine tray from a cold start had a minor leak I was suspecting a hose or clip by the as the engine heated up to half way the water started poring out a lot more. Today I put my car on my makeshift ramp and found no pipes leaking or hoses but found an electrical lead/plug were the water was trickling off down however this still cannot show were the source of the leak is ?? I will upload some photos hope they might help also have a small video clip but not sure if I can upload that. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418398961.116061.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418399042.203595.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418399210.085198.jpg

Last edited:
It would help to know what engine you have.

My money would be in a 1.4 petrol engine.

There is n air vent pipe towards the front of the engine that looks like a disconnected wire but it is meant to be like that.

The usual culprit is a small plastic y piece that cracks and the hotter it gets the more it leaks.

Steve B

Hi Steve B sorry about that but it's a 1.6 petrol engine the problem is I can't see directly were its coming from as it looks like it's coming from some were mid engine area and there's no visual from the top the pics are the closest I could get to finding the source from underneath I will check on the y piece as best I can maybe that is the source hopfully

Hi Steve B just or any member that may know where is the plastic Y piece and how can I get access to it is it from the top or bottom of the car?

Last edited:
Thanks for that spike after a little more looking today in good daylight I have managed to get a better look And have narrowed it down to a pipe I think only problem is I'm not that good a mechanic to take it on here's a link to the diagram of the offending part, listed as part number 30 it goes from the thermostat to the water pump which leads me to ask ,any one know a mobile mechanic in East London?
http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a2-a2-eu-2004-12140-coolant-pump-coolant-cooling-system/

He's not been working recently due to various reasons but you could try to private message sarge who is in Walthamstow. Qualified mechanic and has vast knowledge of A2. He's not mobile though. You'd need to get the car to him if he can help you which may be a problem. Worth a message. A bit further afield is a2cars in Milton Keynes. They have courtesy cars but I don't know if they cover as wide a radius as East London.

Thanks murdo will pm him but not sure if it will be possible as I only get about 5 mins before it fully drains the water tank but I will see what I can do thanks all the same
John

Arrr yes that pipe, often happens when you have a cambelt and waterpump change as these pipes and seals degrade over time.

When you do get it fitted make the garage double check nothing else is leaking as they can disturb other pipes in the process and you end up with more leaks than you started with.

Hope all goes well and its not too expensive.

Oli

Thanks murdo will pm him but not sure if it will be possible as I only get about 5 mins before it fully drains the water tank but I will see what I can do thanks all the same
John

Hi John. I spoke with Sarge yesterday and he's out the country so unfortunately can't assist

Thanks murdo much appreciated I was thinking it will be a it of a push to find some one given the time of year but thanks all the same

Sorry thank you to Oli as well I got a mobile mechanic coming today so I will mention that to him as well thanks everyone that had the time to help

Ok so need abit more help here as I have had a mobile mechanic come yesterday at 10pm and had a feel around and said it looks like it's the coolant pipe from water pump to thermostat but when I looked abit closer at some of my video footage I noticed the offending pipe inserts in to another pipe or plastic when I looked this up the part was the thermostat housing so I'm more confused than before does any one have an actual picture of the plastic pipe running from the thermostat to the water pump?

the pipe splits along a seam and it's hard to spot. It's a pig of a job to do, as you have to remove quite a few components to gain access and it's hard to get at working from underneath the engine.

If you have the cash spare. change the thermostat housing too, as these are prone to failure. The housing isn't that cheap though, around £140 on the aftermarket. The pipe is about £50 from Audi

Thanks mrtutz also found something abit odd if I turn the heating on full power the leak stops? Well it's at the garage now so will update tomorrow with what is found

Ok sorry for the late update but I had a mobile mechanic finally do the job just before Christmas turned out to be the main plastic pipe had a minor crack but when heated it expands and water leaks badly also had the thermostat changed and a few of the smaller pipes leading to the coolant tank came to a total of 300 all in including fresh g13 coolant

The pipe of doom!

It's a nasty job and hard to get to even with ramps / tools and access to people with small hands! Mine cracked in exactly the same place. Glad you've got it fixed ok. I really wouldn't want to think what a sudden, severe failure of this pipe would do to the engine. It would cook the head at least I reckon

Good to see you have cured the leak. I have one on mine, but it is a slow leak.

The thermostat and housing have already been changed. Next option is the temp sensor seal and clip.

I would guess it will most likely be a similar pipe to yours at the back of the engine!

Back