Windscreen washer pump dying in December. Hard DIY fix?

Tai

Hi all,

I'm almost certain (contradiction) that my windscreen washer pump has died. Out the other day, reached for the stalk and noticed the sound of the pump had reduced considerably – plus no liquid. Assumed it was empty. Got back, filled it up, reached for the stalk again...and no water. Plus, still much quieter pump sound with very small amounts of windscreen wash coming from the jets – just trickling down the jet housing.

So assuming I'm right, is the swap a hard job? I'm no mechanic, but have common sense and am handy with tools. Gutted and fitted my own kitchen here if that gives you any idea.

Hi all,

I'm almost certain (contradiction) that my windscreen washer pump has died. Out the other day, reached for the stalk and noticed the sound of the pump had reduced considerably – plus no liquid. Assumed it was empty. Got back, filled it up, reached for the stalk again...and no water. Plus, still much quieter pump sound with very small amounts of windscreen wash coming from the jets – just trickling down the jet housing.

So assuming I'm right, is the swap a hard job? I'm no mechanic, but have common sense and am handy with tools. Gutted and fitted my own kitchen here if that gives you any idea.

They are also the same symptoms of a blocked pipe and or jets, but if you have checked these then a new pump is required. I have never had one go in 13 years and up to 5 A2s at a time, so I can't help with how easy a replacement is but I suspect it might be trickier than you imagine, especially if it can't be reached without taking the bumper off (but surely this is not necessary) Hopefully someone with experience of this repair will be along shortly.

Steve B

Hi Steve, no my inexperienced logic lead to believe it must be the pump, simply because of the reduction of pump sound. If normal operation is 10, it's gone down to about 3. But great, I'll be relieved if that's the case. Will check over the weekend. Thanks.

The pump will not be moving any water and the pressure would just build up and this would definitely change the sound the pump makes.

It is a longshot but as I have frequently said, I prefer to try the free stuff first before I buy parts and strip the car down.

Steve B

You do not need to take bumper off. Just jack the car up and remove the undertray. On the left side you'll find the washer container with the pump. Swap is pretty easy,just pull it out of the canister and disconnect the hose and cable. You'll have a small waterfall when you remove the pump, so use a bucket.

Thanks Gustav. I'm hoping it's just a blockage as Steve suggests, but nice to know it shouldn't be too difficult if indeed it is the pump.

Hi Tai
If you can't find a blockage and decide to change the pump, when you pull it out from the tank (it just pulls out). Disconnect the pipe that goes to the washers and try running the motor with the intake in water just to make sure.
But the pumps are not mega money, I believe, so you could just replace it no matter what.

Good luck
Steve B

Finally got around to looking at this today and it was simply a blockage as Steve suggested. Disconnected the jets and sprayed with canned air – worked a treat. Also realised I have the easy-adjust jets so they're now aimed correctly. The word 'relieved' comes to mind. Thanks guys.

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know, glad it was an easy and cheap fix!!!
I don't know who makes the washer pumps but they seem almost indestructible.

Steve B

Hi Steve,

They are indestructible until the pump seal goes and then the reservoir empties through the pump motor! Mine went and I couldn't work out where the leak was!

RAB

Hi Rab,

Thanks for that, I bet that was a tricky one to find at first!!!
I guess it was syphoning it out?

One to watch for if this happens to anyone.

Steve B

No, just pouring (?) out when I topped it up! The reservoir wouldn't hold any water. The seal around the pump shaft had failed.

RAB

Ah!!

I thought you meant an internal pump seal, not the "doughnut" seal in the reservoir!!

Thanks for the clarification.

Steve B

No, it was the internal seal. I replaced the pump to reservoir seal and it still leaked.

RAB

Back