window wipers not working

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
hi guys,

was driving to parents house when the window wipers decided to pack in. first of all they went really slowly and didn't park properly, after that nothing! I did manage to get them parked but haven't got them working since.

ive checked the fuse and that seems ok but can someone tell me which relay im looking for in the passenger footwell as im going to swap this with my dads a2 and work from there!

ive read a few threads regarding earthing problems but im hopeless at electrics. one thing I did have a problem with was my passenger dipped light, which I thought was blown but when I was about to remove the casing etc... it came back on! this happened a few times so I decided to remove the light assembly and spray some wd40 on the wires. all is good with the light now but do you think I might have disturbed the wiring around that area to cause a problem with the wipers?

any help is appreciated :)

*edit* ive swapped the relays and they work fine so its either earth problem or window motor! can someone guide me which earthing cables to check?

cheers

cammy

Last edited:
Hi Cammy,

Undo the large nut on the main arm and pull the wiper arm away from the spline (you will need to "jiggle" it a bit to get it off (put some towels on the screen to protect it just in case the arm springs onto it and damages it.)

Then try it with no wiper connected (you can leave the top arm connected because that just free wheels), if you find the motor is now turning and parking ok, place the arm back on in the parked position and tighten the nut,

You might have to take it off again and move it a spline or two if it parks in slightly the wrong place.

It does look like your arm might have come off the splined shaft and so is in the wrong position.
This results in the arm trying to swing too far and it hits the screen surround and then stops.

Try this before you strip any more down, or buy any parts.

Steve B

hi steve,

im not getting any movement from the arm at all. ive tried spraying wd40 on some wires around that area but nothing! I guess I was relying on the good old hammer trick with the wd40 method lol

anyways I did take out the passenger light out again just in case I moved or disturbed some wires but still nothing! if someone could tell me the earthing points I could maybe check them. if I take some photos of the window wiper motor and surrounding area can someone tell me how to dismantle it. I came upon a thread where you can earth a bit of wire from the motor to the engine but im not the best with electrical testing.

I am however going to check the earthing point underneath the abs controller once I remove the passenger headlight and plug for it :)

hopefully if I can move the earth strap or spray wd40 on it will work!

cammy

OK so if you have tried the motor with the arm disconnected and still nothing then are you absolutely SURE that the fuse is OK?

Don't just rely on a visual check, swap the fuse for another one in the fusebox of the same colour. I have had a few that LOOK fine (and I know what to look for) and they were blown.

Also have you double checked that you are trying the correct fuse.
The fusebox layout can be confusing and I have fallen foul of that a couple of times recently.

Steve B

I think it was fuse no6 25a as shown on the fuse diagram but I will do the swap like you say :)

I also checked the earthing strap beneath the abs plug (beside passenger headlight) and there was no rust or corrosion visible. I also sprayed it with wd40 around the bolt and connection! it looks like the earthing strap continues underneath the engine somewhere and cant trace it due to not being able to get the car on ramps. I would also need to remove the undertray etc...

I only stay 5 mins away from home and as much as I don't want to drive in the rain I don't really have an option at the moment.

cammy

I always carry some "Rain X" in the car.

I once had to drive home 35 miles along the M4 at night in torrential rain and because I had put rain X on the screen I was able to do it safely and with no fuss, the water just runs off. Amazing stuff.

The way to check if it is an earth is to use a jump lead with one end fixed to the engine block and the other end clamping on the wiper motor (ideally on a bolt head or other unpainted part of the wiper motor. That ensures a good earth to the motor to see if that makes a difference.

Steve B

on the engine block is there a good place to put the jump cable ie left or right handside of engine. will I be able to get a jump cable onto a bolt on the window motor? I cant really see any bolts from where im looking :/

do I need to remove anything to get it in there?

lisa and kids have taken my dads a2 and as it only sits 4 that left me here just now at my dads. so im waiting on the rain to stop before I head home. not sure if I should smear washing up liquid on the screen to repel the water or do you suggest anything else as I don't have any branded water repellent.

thanks for the help steve!

cammy

not sure if I should smear washing up liquid on the screen to repel the water or do you suggest anything else as I don't have any branded water repellent.

thanks for the help steve!

cammy

Don't smear anything on the windscreen other than special fluids that are designed for the purpose. Anything else will just cause problems, especially washing up liquid, you would probably do an "E. T." - "Foam Home".

Unless you have 100% clear vision, don't drive it, please!

As for the jump lead can you not get the clamp on anything that is a metal part of the wiper motor? You would just need to touch it on there with the ignition and wipers switched on. If the earth is bad then touching the jump lead against the wiper motor metal should make it spring into life, if it makes no difference then your wiper motor is broken.

Steve B

thanks steve,

managed to find some wire kicking about in the garage. and it definitely is an earthing issue because what you suggested has worked :) so my problem is now...how do I attach a wire to the motor without taking it out? is it an easy procedure removing the motor to attach a wire and crimping it onto to a bolt nearby?

at least its not the motor or the relay. and if I do get this temporary fix I hope nothing else relies on the earthing strap that the window motor is attached too!

cheers

cammy

I have never had the "pleasure" of removing the wiper motor on an A2 yet (they are so reliable they rarely go)

Is there no way that you could loosen a bolt a couple of turns and wrap the wire around the thread and tighten it up again?

Also try putting the wire from the engine block to a nearby earth connection (the one under the passenger headlamp for instance?) that may also spring the motor into life, depending on where the bad earth is.

I just wish I was there to be able to help, so I am sorry if this is not as helpful as it should be.

Steve B

you have helped enough steve many thanks!

I will run a wire from the casing to the earthing strap next to headlamp as I cant seem to get into the bolts for the motor.

cheers

cammy

ok here is my temporary botched job for an earthing strap! hopefully this will give some help to others who come across a similar problem :) photos attached...

IMAG0249.jpgIMAG0250.jpgIMAG0251.jpgIMAG0252.jpgIMAG0253.jpgIMAG0254.jpg

thanks for help steve :)

cammy

thanks spike

if anyone comes across this thread please use the link that spike has posted as this is a better configuration!

cammy

Back