Dismantle the backrest on a Sport seat

steaman

A2OC Donor
This is my first thread on this forum. I am in the middle of adding heat elements to my front seats but I have a problem with the backrest. How do I remove the backrest cover panel?
According to the WS manual:

1. Remove side airbag module → Chapter.
  2. Prise cover fastening strip out of backrest cover panel -7-.
  3. Unfasten backrest cover panel -7- from clip -6-.
  4. Pull out backrest cover panel -7-.
  5. Disengage backrest cover at bottom rear.
  6. Remove head restraint -8- by pressing button at left rod.
  7. Remove head restraint guide -9- → Fig.
  8. Lift cover and pinch off -A- staples -5-.
  9. Detach padding -2-.
http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a2/body/general_body_repairs_interior/seat_padding_covers/front_seat_covers_and_padding_%28standard_seat_sports_seat%29/removing_and_installing_backrest_cover_and_padding/with_solid_backrest_cover_panel/

To execute 1. i need to first have done 4. :rolleyes:
I can´t find any way to remove the backrest cover panel without force!

Please guide my?

This is quite easy. You can find help by searching the A2OC.under the appropriate thread title. Here's one :- "Retrofit Lumbar Support" It shows pictures of just what you need to know! Now here is something very important to know. When you start to prise-out the seat-covering from the backrest (using a small spatula or screwdriver), start about 5-7 cm. from the bottom, not at the very bottom. Then disengage the stub of plastic that you will see passing through a hole in the bottom of the backrest. Otherwise you would have torn the seat fabric away from the plastic retaining strip. Practice makes perfect!

David

I have come to this position:
DSCF0705.JPG

How do I remove the back cover? The manual says: Unfasten backrest cover panel
Is it any clips securing the cover?

Continue to peel the 'locking' strip from the backrest rear panel until it's completely free. The panel can then be pulled off the backrest frame - it's very tight
As with any panel using plastic mounting lugs, work in a warm area to reduce risk of breaking the brittle mountings.

Once the panel is free, working from the inside of the seat frame, remove the side airbag by releasing the nuts (think its 3)

Cheers Spike

Thats it! I am working in room temperature, used a heat gun and phillips screwdriver to prise of the skin all the way.

This is by far the toughest seats I been working with.

Let's know how you get on and if you think of any worthwhile tips we can add them to the rather basic 'how to'

Cheers Spike

Back