Rear spoiler based on the votex - would you be interested?

Would you like to put your name down as "Interested in a spoiler?"

• Total voters

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

I am considering having some spoilers made using the Votex rear spoiler as a base.

The end result should look identical.

But I need to have a rough idea of how many people would be interested (no commitment yet) so I can get some costs put together.

I will not be making any money on this, the price that will be charged will be the cost of making them only (plus P&P where applicable) But I do need to point out that for such a small run the cost may well be large, but we will see.

So if you are seriously interested please post on this thread, as I say no commitment.

Once I know the likely price I will let you know and then I could start taking firm orders.
I will be completely open about the costs which will include the making of a mould and the materials and service charges for producing each spoiler.

At this stage it is just an idea, but as long as I can get someone to produce these then I will go ahead.

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
Hi Steve,
I suggest that you could "cast your net" wider, to the German A2OC, too? At times, very high prices have been put on these spoilers (£300+), so there's got to be a demand! If I didn't already have one fitted, then I'd have been

first in the queue!

David

Hi Steve,
I suggest that you could "cast your net" wider, to the German A2OC, too? At times, very high prices have been put on these spoilers (£300+), so there's got to be a demand! If I didn't already have one fitted, then I'd have been

first in the queue!

David

Hi,

Thanks, a good idea.

By the way does anyone know the material they re made of, I don't think it is GRP because it seems to be of a similar material to the Votex body kit and that is very floppy?

The company I am trying, has asked for the material it is made in and some rough dimensions just for some rough costings an they understandably are saying that it could turn out to be too costly, but we will see.

Steve B

Is their any pictures of an a2 with just the spoiler and no body kit? I'd be interested I like the idea of it but I'd like to see what it looks like without the votex body kit, it could look a bit odd plus if you having a mould made to yours then it would only fit certain spoilers I'm guessing?

Is their any pictures of an a2 with just the spoiler and no body kit? I'd be interested I like the idea of it but I'd like to see what it looks like without the votex body kit, it could look a bit odd plus if you having a mould made to yours then it would only fit certain spoilers I'm guessing?

The Votex spoiler fits over the standard spoiler but unfortunately does not fit onto the 1.6 FSI or 1.2 tdi (they have a different spoiler).

I am sure there are some members who just have the rear spoiler and they look great, the Votex bodykit is quite subtle and so it doesn't really influence the appearance of the spoiler to any extent.

Steve B

Hi Steve,

Well done for securing the rear spoiler at last - very pleased for you.

Even though my personal liking for the rear spoiler comes and goes for my car, I'd be interested in taking a copied item.

I think the rear spoiler looks great on some colours, and not so good on others.

Paul's A2 (redbull) is the same colour as mine (albeit without OSS), and I like it on that, but with my OSS I sometimes feel that the silver "swage" the spoiler will have on mine will break up the glass to the detriment of the overall shape - I also wonder if this will be the same for your car.

Anyway, price dependent, I'm in - that way I can trial it and decide if it's fit it, or shelve it.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Steve,

Yes put me on the list to.
If nessecary I can help to do a word in the Dutch and German forum. Though I think there is a German moderator also reading on the A2OC.

Pershaps it's an idea to make a bulleted list in this topic, which people can edit and add themselfs to the list.

Cu, and thanks,
Louis

Hi Louis

Thanks, I will investigate the bulleted list option and thanks for the offer of help with the other forums!

Steve B

Hi,

I have added a poll to the thread so if you want to put your name down as "interested in a spoiler should the cost be reasonable"
I can then get back to you as I get more information.

Steve B

Hi steve.
I would be interested in one for sarahs car ... wont fit mine as i have the deeper fsi spoiler which was a mod to the car ... i will ask robin too as he has the votex kit and i reckon with the colour of his a2 it would look good .... thanks

Hi Steve,

I have a 1.6 and a 1.4, but the 1.6 will be going up for sale after my donation is verified by Ben.

So, as I will be sticking with my 1.4, then the spoiler will fit on that, :)

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I have a 1.6 and a 1.4, but the 1.6 will be going up for sale after my donation is verified by Ben.

So, as I will be sticking with my 1.4, then the spoiler will fit on that, :)

Great !!!
Good luck with the sale, I am sure it will find a good home!

Steve B

Great idea Steve, does that mean the copied spoiler would be without the part number in view ? That's the only downside of the original, I seem to remember DJ190 putting a reflector over it to cover it . Maybe the company you are using can also make up the Votex jacking point covers, I'm sure alot of people would want them .

As most people know your A2 is my favourite, personally I think the spoiler would look great on your A2.

Hi Steve,

Well done for securing the rear spoiler at last - very pleased for you.

Even though my personal liking for the rear spoiler comes and goes for my car, I'd be interested in taking a copied item.

I think the rear spoiler looks great on some colours, and not so good on others.

Paul's A2 (redbull) is the same colour as mine (albeit without OSS), and I like it on that, but with my OSS I sometimes feel that the silver "swage" the spoiler will have on mine will break up the glass to the detriment of the overall shape - I also wonder if this will be the same for your car.

Anyway, price dependent, I'm in - that way I can trial it and decide if it's fit it, or shelve it.

Cheers

Jeff

Great idea Steve, does that mean the copied spoiler would be without the part number in view ? That's the only downside of the original, I seem to remember DJ190 putting a reflector over it to cover it . Maybe the company you are using can also make up the Votex jacking point covers, I'm sure alot of people would want them .

Hi,

Yes, it would make sense to block out the part number and blend it into the spoiler, especially since I don't want to be accused of trying to pass these off as "original" and the part number on the original Votex is a bit "naff".

I will ask them about the jacking points, the thought of losing one scares the heck out of me!!! But it might not make economic sense, with the cost of producing a moulding etc. To me this is may well be a job for a 3D printer instead, but I will see what they say.

Steve B

The word is out on the German forum.

I started there a name-list, I don't know if the boys/girls there all want to register on the A2OC.

http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=50763

Hi Louis,

Thanks for doing that, hopefully we can all benefit from grouping together over things like this.

I just posted a response to the question on there regarding Copyright, unfortunately I don't know enough German language to have posted it in that language.

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
Back