Turning the dash/needle lights on and off via VCDS

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

A while ago someone asked about how you switch on the dash illumination when the side/headlights are off.

I thought it a strange question because I have never seen them OFF day or night. But the poster said that his were only on when the lights were on.

I was playing with VCDS tonight to see if I could find the coding to switch the running lights on, as in Norway and other parts of Europe,
I found out how to do this with VCDS but for an A4 and could not find the same setting for the A2.

But while looking I found the coding for the instruments illumination.

You go into channel 17 (Instruments)
Adaption channel 19

The first digit is the control you need to change the way the dash illumination works
It should normally be "1" - Pointers lit all of the time.

But the 4 options are as follows
(first character)

0: Nothing lit until ext. light on
1: Pointers lit all the time
2: Scales lit all the time (Scales are the MPH and RPM numbers)
3: Pointers and Scales lit all the time

So if you have the setting 0 you only have pointers illuminated when the lights are on - not great!!!

If I find anything else that could be useful I will let you know, but I have now managed to flatten the car battery!!!

Steve B

Thanks for the info Steve.

When i get time, i will be looking at my A2 with vcds.

I plan on activating the auto locking feature 'anti hijack' i think it is called.

If i remember right, theres not much that can be changed on the A2?

Thanks for the info Steve.

When i get time, i will be looking at my A2 with vcds.

I plan on activating the auto locking feature 'anti hijack' i think it is called.

If i remember right, theres not much that can be changed on the A2?

Yes, on my A1 there were LOTs of fantastic tweaks possible via VCDS (for example, you could even just switch on "Hill hold assist" FREE even though it was an extra at over £100) and lots of other tweaks (I like the needle swoop!! but it is just a gimmick)

But sadly on the A2 there are a couple of reasons why there is not as much you can play with, one reason is that the car design is simply older and so not as configurable as the A1.
The other reason is that the A2 has not been fully "explored" by Ross Tech and so many of the options that ARE available, are undocumented.
I had an email response from Ross Tech only yesterday and in that they asked for a scan of my A2 because "the A2 was not offered in the US" and so they haven't played around with it much. I sent the scan, but I have sent them a scan several times in the past, so I am not sure that anything will happen.

I will track down the code for the anti hijack, I was reading those codes a few minutes ago and now I can't find them again.

Steve B

Found it!!!

To switch on the "Hijack" function (i.e. where the doors lock as you drive off) you change the coding of the 46 Central convenience.

You add 32 to the existing coding to enable it (but note down the current coding so that you can return to that.

There are other settings that MIGHT work (but these codes are based on the A4 CCCU of the same age which is very similar)
Bit Dec. Function
0 1 Great Britain- alarm system (only with bit 4)
1 2 flash on when arming/unarming alarm system
2 4 selective locking 1 door/all doors
3 8 activate alarm system
4 16 rear unlocking block via speed
5 32 locking via speed
6 64 comfort functions with remote (adapt in ch 62!!)
7 128 right side steering
8 256 avant (glass break sensors in rear side-and rear
windows (if error: safe-LED constantly lit ))
9 512 1x flash when lock with remote
10 1024 horn sounds when lock with remote
11 2048 door/window-logic ( ignition off: No open door
el. windows works 10 min )
12 4096 normal/????-alarm system
13 8192 No SAFE-function USA only
14 16384 insulate-glass PR-nr 4KR/4KV

Basically you just decide which of the above options you want to enable, then add up the numbers in the second column and put that total into the "coding" number in the 46 Central convenience controller.

I have my coding set to 07883 at the moment. It seems to work the basics fine (one press to unlock all doors, rather than 2! and a nice little beep when you lock the car.

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Not much to play with really, so that is about it.

I did buy a piece of kit that fits between the CCCU and the locking / window electronics.
Overpriced for what it does though.
One touch windows down and up from the remote (instead of having to hold down the button
One touch all up and all down windows from the driver's switch on the door
One touch closing of all windows and the sunroof via remote (not possible without this kit)
Auto lock (Hijack) without VCDS
Windows still operate after the ignition is off ( for a short period)
and the most useful (although not amazingly useful) is the remote opening of the fuel flap
All remote operations are via the standard key fob.

The better addition was the unit that gave me auto headlamps and "coming home" and "leaving home" lights, plug and play, easy fitting and just for lees than £50.

So VCDS doesn't give you much, to get other interesting functions you need kits like above.

Steve B

Hi Steve,
I have just set up my vcds.

Do you know the coding to switch off the remote window drop feature?

I don't trust this feature, as we have both experienced...

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

unfortunately there is not a lot you can do to customise the A2 options) the A1 I had could be dramatically changed using VCDS including things like changing the steering response, activating hill hold, the "needle swoop" etc.
But with the A2 there are only a tiny number of useful tweaks.
I "half remember" stumbling across something for the windows but I can't be sure.
I will definitely have a look though.
I will still leave mine operating though, because in the hot weather (whenever that day is!!!) it is really useful to drop all of the windows as you approach the car to let the hot air out.

I will just make sure I don't accidentally press the buttons.
Also now that I have managed to get my new style key to work there is less risk of accidental operation. Much less.

But I will for you to see if it can be done.

Steve B

Last edited:
The "needle swoop" was pretty useless but I would love to be able to find a way to do that on the A2 just fur fun.

I I think I might have found the right area to play with to switch off the auto window drop.
I will see if I can have a play around with the settings on my wife's A2 tonight.

The he last time I did that I managed to flatten the battery on her car and she was not best pleased.

Steve B

Hi Steve,

Hi Paul,

I just figured it out.
I have posted the solution here How to disable the remote key operating the windows
and I have added it to the new "how to" links list.

Please let me know how you get on, I have managed it on my wife's car so it should work.

Steve B

Great! Many thanks!

There has to be more 'easter eggs' for the A2 hidden there...

Needle sweep would be a cool looking useless feature!

Also fogs as turning lights and the Scandinavian DRL setting would help me.

Not sure what the Scandinavian DRLs is?

If that is automatically switching on your headlights when the ignition is on and switching them off again when you switch the ignition off, you already have that option !!! - Just tape over the light sensor on your auto headlight kit, or hide the sensor altogether, in the dark recesses of the dash.

But I assume you mean something else

Steve B

Scandinavian setting was the front DRLs and rear lights on all the time. I did this mod on my A1.

I tried hiding the autolight sensor, but i only want sidelights on in the day and xenons to come on in the dark. I can only choose one option. I think...

Scandinavian setting was the front DRLs and rear lights on all the time. I did this mod on my A1.

I tried hiding the autolight sensor, but i only want sidelights on in the day and xenons to come on in the dark. I can only choose one option. I think...

OK, I se now.

You never know, we might find something in VCDS, especially if there are standard A2s in Scandinavia that do this, there must be a setting somewhere?

Perhaps the Scandinavian A2s have had a "hard wire" solution implemented.

Steve B

On the A1, we figured out the code from a Scandinavian owner who sent over a scan.

As the A1's rear lights were LED, it looked pretty cool and of course safer when driving in overcast weather or at dusk before the autolights activate.

I know some people dont like this feature though...

Might be of help to someone, especially the Audi Base Code Decoder - http://www.wak-tt.com/vagcom/vagcomclcoding.htm

sinlessUK

Hi Sinless,

Thanks for that, very useful.

Just earlier I posted another link on the list that explains the same thing but in a very different way. ( Some VCDS mods you can try out on your A2 - NEW)

Your link seems to make it clearer but they essentially share the same information.

As I say, I prefer the way you have indicated in your link, so thank you for that.

Steve B

I found out how to do this with VCDS but for an A4 and could not find the same setting for the A2.

But while looking I found the coding for the instruments illumination.

You go into channel 17 (Instruments)
Adaption channel 19

The first digit is the control you need to change the way the dash illumination works
It should normally be "1" - Pointers lit all of the time.

But the 4 options are as follows
(first character)

0: Nothing lit until ext. light on
1: Pointers lit all the time
2: Scales lit all the time (Scales are the MPH and RPM numbers)
3: Pointers and Scales lit all the time

So if you have the setting 0 you only have pointers illuminated when the lights are on - not great!!!

If I find anything else that could be useful I will let you know, but I have now managed to flatten the car battery!!!

Steve B

Hi,

Today i tryed this but my A2 from 2000 doesnt support this i guess :(

Hi,

Today i tryed this but my A2 from 2000 doesnt support this i guess :(
So what happens when you go to instruments 17 then adaption channel 19?
are the settings not there at all?
Is it a full VCDS set up you have or "lite"?
steve B

Back