Potential new 1.6 FSI Sport owner

jetboy

A2OC Donor
Hi from a potential A2 owner. Our current vehicles are a 2010 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech and a 1998 Suzuki GSX-R 750 SRAD. Both are a lot of fun, but our load carrying capability is limited to a few bags of shopping. Working on the basis of getting something cheap, vaguely economical, a little different, with loads of room in the back, I narrowed things down to a Mercedes A210 or an A2. Over the last few weeks of researching, I've gone off the idea of an A Class, and become strangely obsessed with the A2. I'm yet to drive one though.

Ideally, a cherry red 1.6 Sport with low mileage and air-con. A panoramic sunroof would be a bonus, as would a nice interior - plain dark cloth, alcantara or black leather. However, realistically I know a may have to make some big compromises, as there can't be many (or any?) A2s in that colour of any spec, let alone 1.6 Sports.

A question: The MX-5 Sport Tech is fitted with 17" alloys with 205/45 tyres, and firmer suspension than the regular MX-5. This unforgiving ride was a criticised on launch, as it's slightly more comfortable than a go cart. I've got used to it, and now find most other cars unresponsive and spongy. How am I likely to get on with the handing of an A2 Sport?

Last edited:
A question: The MX-5 Sport Tech is fitted with 17" alloys with 205/45 tyres, and firmer suspension that the regular MX-5. This unforgiving ride was a criticised on launch, as it's slightly more comfortable than a go cart. I've got used to it, and now find most other cars unresponsive and spongy. How am I likely to get on with the handing of an A2 Sport?

HI,

If that is your previous experience then you will get on fine with the A2 sport suspension.

It is a firm ride, but with such a light car it is never going to soak up the bumps no matter what suspension you have.

To soak up bumps the car needs to be heavy, the heavier the better (as long as it has suspension to match, of course)
If you are going over a bump in a heavy car there is so much mass to resist the movement that the shocks can absorb it.
Going over that same bump in a light car means that there is little resistance to the upward movement and so the car reacts.

I like the ride on 17s and I run my A2 on 18s so I am fine with the firmer ride and really like the better steering response and reduced roll on corners as you seem to also.
So it may well feel a bit "go kart like" (over exaggeration) but if you have had that feel before you will be fine!!

Steve B

Last edited:
Jetboy, if its an FSI you are after then a forum member on here is selling one of the nicest examples I have seen in a LONG time. See sales threads below.

Ideally, a cherry red 1.6 Sport with low mileage and air-con. A panoramic sunroof would be a bonus, as would a nice interior - plain dark cloth, alcantara or black leather. However, realistically I know a may have to make some big compromises, as there can't be many (or any?) A2s in that colour of any spec, let alone 1.6 Sports.

Hi, there's one on Pistonheads http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-fsi-sport-5dr-part-exchange-to-clear/3274359
Sorry I'm a newbie here so hope that link works. The car needs some work, but they aren't hiding the fact and it checks a lot of your boxes. Pretty reasonable price....

Hi, there's one on Pistonheads http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-fsi-sport-5dr-part-exchange-to-clear/3274359
Sorry I'm a newbie here so hope that link works. The car needs some work, but they aren't hiding the fact and it checks a lot of your boxes. Pretty reasonable price....

That looks to be a very reasonable price. The Nox sensor is a DIY job (if it is the expensive one at the front) so if the information is correct no more than £150 would sort that out.

Nice looking car.

Steve B

chb: Is it the black with red leather one you're talking about?

stuartm: Yep, seen ads around for that one. Really like the colour (is that brilliant red?) but put off by the description, mileage and interior. I should probably avoid taking on another project.

The one A2 picture I've seen which I loved was this: http://tuningcars.us/displayimage.php?pid=82262

Again, brilliant red? What's the ridging on the roof?

Budget for the bonnet to be prepped and resprayed, huge laquer peel and some on the mirrors too

It is strange that it seems to be the red A2s that suffer from that, more than other colours, does that indicate a factory fault?

Steve B

Again, brilliant red? What's the ridging on the roof?

The none OSS roof cars have the ridges to stop vibration. That one has been painted gloss black, which is a good look imo.

I was once congratulated for the look of my shiny black roof - only to explain that it is all glass. So even if not working, don't reject one.

Welcome Jetboy!

You've basically described my car; 2002 (52) 1.6 FSi Sport, Amulet Red, working OSS, climate control, black leather sports seats... Even has original equipment parking sensors, illuminated vanity mirrors, rear electric windows and a few other extras.

Previous comments regarding the Amulet Red paintwork are correct; the top coat of laquer is prone to blistering and peeling. No idea why; it's not a sign of a botched repair, but a fault with that colour and also affected A4's and TT's of the same era. For some reason its usually only the bonnet, wing mirros and (occasionally) the door handles that are affected.

The none OSS roof cars have the ridges to stop vibration. That one has been painted gloss black, which is a good look imo.

I was once congratulated for the look of my shiny black roof - only to explain that it is all glass. So even if not working, don't reject one.

Ah, that's not obvious from most A2 images. I have to admit I'm keen on an OSS as much for the look as the function. I'm put off by the extra weight high up, but figure it'll be offset in part by a 1.6 engine and the Sport's suspension.

You've basically described my car

Yeah, kinda jealous. ;) And that's the same red as the car I posted earlier isn't it? Very similar to this which Murdo identified as Brilliant Red. Is there much difference in reality? Do the peeling problems affect both reds? How about the cherry and Castle Red? I believe there are one or two of those owned by forum members.

Back