Opinions Please

chill

My wife was in an accident sept last year and car was written off by insurance (cat d). It's been a drawn out affair with insurance dragging there feet in making an offer etc

Anyways long and short of it is, we have two offers on the table from our insurance and the third party insurers (wasn't our fault). I went the them as we don't have any buy back offer with ours and I wanted to retain the vehicle ideally as we've bought another A2 and we're going to swop a couple of things and maybe keep for spares however I'm beginning to think it's not worth it. To retain the vehicle were looking at £600 reduction in the claim, 35% they wanted to charge reduced to 20% however I'm wondering if it's worth it.

In reality;

I don't have time to mess about swopping too much stuff,
The wheels and tyres and prob the main thing I'd want to keep,

The car still drives with relatively light damage to the passenger side mainly passenger door, the car is a 1.4tdi se with 156,000 on clock partial service history I would say in average condition, the question is is it worth it?
I considered opening it to you guys to come and take parts needed at reasonable cost and keeping what I wanted and then selling the scrap (how much is scrap worth?)
Or
Selling it as is? What's it worth?

Sorry for waffling but I'm just a bit lost and looking for opinions?

Thanks
Chris.

I think I've attached some images??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    927.4 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    941.4 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    920.8 KB · Views: 227
Doesnt look that bad and could be an easy fix.

Buy it back and source a used same colour door and new sill?

Cant really tell from the close shots.

It's hard to get pics as it's been parked up a while and battery is dead now!!
Audi quoted nearly £3000 to repair, they said A pillar has taken a knock, local bodyshop said it would cost about£700 to repair as they didn't really feel the A pillar was affected?
So £600 + £700 approx prices it'll owe me £1300 I personally think I would struggle to get that on a 156000 miler that's cat c? Not to mention it would have to be worth the time and effort!

Is the car silver?
If so there is another A2 in Leeds (Yorkshirehills) who has mint silver doors.... There could be an easy fix here for someone.

The damage looks like it's just the rear door that would need replacing - a very cheap repair. It would be a great shame for another A2 to be scrapped.
It's a shame you are too far away as I would have been interested. I don't think 156k is high mileage for a diesel - as someone I work with has over 250k on their 2004 A2 tdi.

Why not post the spec and see what someone on here will offer you (is that allowed?)

Why not post the spec and see what someone on here will offer you (is that allowed?)

Members can only trade through the marketplace so I'm afraid not but these speculative threads often result in a private deal so I'd agree that I hope this one is saved if the space frame isn't compromised. If it is then the car is most likely scrap unfortunately.

Looks to me to be just the front door thats damaged. The sill has quite a bit of plastic protecting it so you could be lucky, though as murdo says, if the spaceframe is bent then its scrap.

Sorry to hear of your accident and hope everyone is OK.

Similar to my situation (also in Leeds) where I purchased the written off car back from the insurance company after the accident. In my case, the cost of purchasing the damaged car was 26% of the agreed value. I was told this figure was set by this particular insurer but I'm not sure if it was worked out on the spec of the car. The value paid back to me in the claim was negotiated and it was very helpful to use evidence from the forum to demonstrate how much my original car was worth.

Although this was a fairly costly thing to do at the time, for me it was the right decision. It will definitely take time to sell the parts and I haven't dedicated time to this task yet but I am pleased that part of the outcome of this accident could preserve other A2s. I will organise some storage for parts I can't sell once the shell of the car is ready to go. Have been advised that the scrap aluminium may be worth around £100.

As CHB has said there are silver doors in very good condition if you decide on repairing yours.

Good Luck

Hilary

Have been advised that the scrap aluminium may be worth around £100.

That may be the case, but I have heard that the car has to be totally stripped and ONLY leaving the aluminium shell, to achieve that kind of price.

In effect it looks like the value of the labour involved (even if you do it yourself) to COMPLETELY strip the car makes the scarp value seem tiny.

Steve B

Sorry guys not been able to get on here for couple of days so only just seen the comments,

Damage is very much concentrated on the drivers door and like I said local body shop quoted £700 for repair, most of cost for replacement door!

Unfortunately it's looking as though I'll just take the payout as time to do what's required is something I don't have!!

As for colour it's the silver blue colour.

Thanks for your comments and advice

Just also noticed I said it would be cat c but they actually advised me it would be cat d, is this where is doesn't require an inspection to be put back on road???

Thanks
Chris.

Reactions: chb
Just also noticed I said it would be cat c but they actually advised me it would be cat d, is this where is doesn't require an inspection to be put back on road???

Thanks
Chris.

Cat D, No Inspection required

So, £600 to buy back. £60 for Yorkshire Hills door (Based on what a door cost me last year), Say max £100 for it spraying if needed (from silver to silver blue?) and an couple of hours to fit by yours truly.
£800 and its back on the road... anyone interested?
If its a long standing forum member then I will give time for free, otherwise how does £100 of my time for running around, takeing doors to sprayers, fitting etc etc sound...so £900 for a full A2 TDI. (If owner is up for saving the car!).

buy the car back...its a more sensible option than letting the scrappers take it.

with the help being offered, it would be silly to pass up on an opportunity from the likes of member CHB.

on the plus side you get to keep your car knowing that you wont inherit other peoples problems if buying another!

cammy

on the plus side you get to keep your car knowing that you wont inherit other peoples problems if buying another!

cammy

We've already got another which needs a little tlc so could do with the best brass from this as possible so we can make the one we have really nice as it's got a lot of plus points!!

As for this one I'm considering looking into a buy back to then repair it and sell it on, BUT what's a cat d A2 worth?

Key points,

1.4tdi SE 03 plate
Silver blue colour
156000 on clock
Some history
In need of a little tlc few scuffs and scratches here and there, most notable one from having window smashed and they scratched the frame around window on drivers door
Cambelt done October 2013 approx 152000 miles
New tyres all round last year (would ideally like to keep wheels and tyres)

Please don't take this as a for sale thread as it's not I'm just trying to gather facts to make an informed decision!

Please don't take this as a for sale thread as it's not I'm just trying to gather facts to make an informed decision!

How about 50 pence and a packet of opal fruits?? ;)

Sorry- it's not a sale thread so neither was that a valuation.

In restored to pre accident state on a Cat D I'd guesstimate 1500 and 500 as it stands if it's fixable without structural aluminum work.. Unless you can do the labour yourself it's therefore likely that you wouldn't see much return on your investment.

This is a subject Sarge and I used to discuss quite often and due to the high cost of any structural repair of A2 I may be wrong but would suggest that there is little to be gained ( financially) from fixing up a car registered as a loss.

Different story of course if it's being restored as a project or its your keeper car. Hope that helps instead of hinders.

Ps offer of 50p and opal fruits still stands with the car donated to someone who'll fix it and keep it running. :p

Last edited:
So, £600 to buy back. £60 for Yorkshire Hills door (Based on what a door cost me last year), Say max £100 for it spraying if needed (from silver to silver blue?) and an couple of hours to fit by yours truly.
£800 and its back on the road... anyone interested?
If its a long standing forum member then I will give time for free, otherwise how does £100 of my time for running around, takeing doors to sprayers, fitting etc etc sound...so £900 for a full A2 TDI. (If owner is up for saving the car!).

If your willing to do all the running around and work, why not make an offer to buy yourself. I have never had any trouble selling an A2 if its priced right (normally within 24 hours).

Reactions: chb
Back