Xl1

Breathtaking technology and performance but as for looks?

Just picture a big handle on the boot and you've got a 1970s hoover driving along the road.:rolleyes:

I love how it looks, especially from the front! Beauty in the eye of the beholder 'n all that...

I worked out the other day that comparing a petrol Up with an E-Up, you would have cover about 350,000 miles before you started getting your money back. 350,000 miles with a short range electric car; how long would that take? It's about 2.5x worse with an XL1, plus you have no decent luggage space, 2 seats and a puny 300 mile diesel range. It's like solar powered water heating - you'll never get your money back!

RAB

All valid points RAB but it's a showcase for what can be done and it does drive extremely well, even an enthusiastic driver can have fun driving it.
Those early test cars were still being perfected back then, I gather they did some improvements to the already well-made interior trim as well as some more fine-tuning to the running gear.

I do wonder what production volume would be required to make the XL1 significantly cheaper. How much of the tech in it is actually scaleable to mass production?
Perhaps if it had an Audi badge on it and was priced more like the BMW i3 it would sell?

... It's about 2.5x worse with an XL1, plus you have no decent luggage space, 2 seats and a puny 300 mile diesel range. It's like solar powered water heating - you'll never get your money back! ...

They're only making 200 worldwide ... I wouldn't be surprised if the price rose rather than dropped. In fact if you take research and development into account, I wouldn't be surprised if VW spent over a million each to produce.

It's basically a handmade concept car rather than a production car, most would be going into celebrity garages rather than actually driven.

Last edited:
Back