Alpine cda-9812rb

scott

A2OC Donor
Anyone who knows what this head unit is will knows how good it is! 60wx4 and so many sound adjustments I get lost with! I had this head unit in my boy racer 106 running £100 jbl speakers from the head unit in the front doors jbl 6x9 running from a 300w amp on the parcel shelf :cool: and two jbl 1200w 10" subs running off a 1000w jbl amp with lots of adjustments and a bass boost function. This system completely Drowned out much more expensive sound systems when I went to "cruises" and met people with "show" systems. I think because the head unit was so good. It use to make your hair stand on end and your nose tickle it was that bassy! Anyway this was all stolen from my car in a car park in Kingston one night!

I put an alpine dvd head unit with sat nav and tv in but I was never happy with the sound in my a2 so I sold that and bought two of these head units off ebay! One for me a2 and one for when I get my vw van ;) they were at a bargain price, they usually go for £100+ I got mine at around £50 each.

Anyway, this sounds so good that when my friend sat in my car (before I had my vibe slick subwoofer wired up) he just said how! The sound is so good that even with out a sub its sounds like you have one!
But! The problem I'm having with it is when I turn the volume up above 20 the headunit cuts out for a second and keeps doing so until it is turned down, now 20 is very loud but this is capable of going to 35!
I'm no sound system expert I can wire one up but that's as far as my knowledge goes,
So what would cause this to do that? Is it the speakers not coping? Of is it the battery? It use to do it In my 106 Aswell, it has a cool function where you can just have the subwoofer on and this can go to the full 35volume?? Also I am running standard door speakers front and rear.

Also it says it has DAB control?? What is this and how can I use it/fit it??

Sorry for the long probably boring post
Thank you for any help.

Scott,
image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that! I'll look into it! Maybe I'll take it to an audio shop to see what's going on with the unit cutting out when it's loud!

Thank you

I'm trying to work/sort out the little problems with my sound system. The rear speakers have never been as loud as the fronts but they seem to be the same speakers? (Still the standard a2 ones) I'm wondering if it's the amp that's under the drivers footwell playing part in this, the harness I have allows the aftermarket head unit to use the rear speakers some how. With the amp under there, is there simply 4 speaker wires going in and 4 coming out? (Along with power wires of course). Im thinking of this is the case unplugging it and joining wire to wire deleting the amplifier? I'm hoping this might make the rear speakers louder??

Last edited:
This takes me back.....

Is this one of the Alpine units that has the separate thick yellow power feed?

If so where have you connected it?

I think I remember seeing a thick yellow power wire but I think the wiring kit sorted that out for me.

Aftermarket HUs produce 22 W rms per channel, while original amps I think go up to 15.
The harness that you have converts high power output into low power, line out signal, which is then fed into the amp input.
I don't think that current wiring is enough gauge, so you'd to route additional speaker wiring from radio to current amp connector.

Cheers,
Neo

I think I remember seeing a thick yellow power wire but I think the wiring kit sorted that out for me.

If you have the yellow wire connected to the factory wiring then this is your problem, it needs to be connected direct to the battery and they use to have there own in line fuse.

The factory wiring is not man enough to run that amp.

I had the first one of these units with 4x60 back in the day in one of my demo cars

By not doing this correctly the amp is clipping and you are doing it damage

Last edited:
Hmm maybe this wire is why it's cutting out when I turn the volume beyond 19!! The unit I have is 60x4 it's a monster of a head unit! :cool:
I'll have a look at it today. Is there a high power feed in the passenger footwell that I could connect that wire to? Rather than having to get one from the boot to the front of the car!

Hmm maybe this wire is why it's cutting out when I turn the volume beyond 19!! The unit I have is 60x4 it's a monster of a head unit! :cool:
I'll have a look at it today. Is there a high power feed in the passenger footwell that I could connect that wire to? Rather than having to get one from the boot to the front of the car!

One of the main high current battery lines goes to the passenger foot-well terminal. See picture:

DSC03032.jpg

regards

Andrew

Thanks I have just ran a wire from that to the stereo, that's the cutting out sorted :) now I'll see what I can do with the rear speakers, thanks

I didn't look, but I have a spare head unit (exactly the same) and just got it out and it does have a thicker earth, will this be a problem? Don't want to take the radio out again!

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is annoying and teaches me not to read manuals! Or wires (big warning sign on the yellow wire!. In my Peugeot I had speakers more than capable of handling this headunits power but it still cut out at volume 22!! Even tho that was really loud imagine if I had known then!!! :(

Last edited:
Back