scratchy wind screen

OldBanger

Afternoon,

Does anyone have any advice on 'reconditioning' my wind screen ?

I parked up the other night and noticed millions of little scratches all over the window - where the blades run. The street light opersite produced a 'star' effect as the light passed through these tiny scratches - and it made me realize why a low laying sun or car head lights are now sometimes blinding when driving

The cars 14 years old - so I expect this to occur, but wondering if its possible to reduce.

Cheers
Jon

Hi jon .. there is a way of reducing very light scratches using cutting compounds .. you wont really do anything with any you can feel with your fingernail .. be careful not to get your screen too hot as it leaves a dullness ... if you use a mop .... or there is a diamond cutting type paste ...
Zippy

It may we'll be time for a new windscreen perhaps?
Polishing out the scratches is a definite option to try but it might take a lot of effort since the scratches seem to be extensive.

I don't know about your area but local to me there are mobile fitters who supply and fit a new windscreen for £130.

Shame there are no cracks or you could have claimed on your insurance.

But whatever happens keep an eye on the wiper arm connection, that runs very close to the screen and occasionally rubs (a strong twist of the area where the two arms join can "buy" you a bit of space.)
Steve B

Last edited:
Does anyone have any advice on 'reconditioning' my wind screen ?

Again, I am able to give you advice based on personal experience. The powder that you will need is CERIUM OXIDE. It is available on "Ebay" in fine, medium and coarse grades. You simply make a paste with water. I purchased a large

buffing machine to make life easy. On my screen, I had a severe wide band of damage from a previous owner not replacing defective wiper-blades. I was able to completely remove all scratches and the end result was a screen that looked

like new! I need to tell you that there is quite a lot of labour involved, though. What you put in is what you get out! BUT, it 100% works! (I had been told, some time ago, by a windscreen-fitter, that nothing could ever be done to

remove scratches/wear-lines from glass) He was absolutely incorrect, there!

David

Last edited:
Haha maybe because he earns a living from replacing damaged glass. But with polishing out deep scratches there is a risk of distorting the glass which is never good if it is the windscreen. Plus it can be quite time consuming too.

But with polishing out deep scratches there is a risk of distorting the glass which is never good if it is the windscreen. Plus it can be quite time consuming too.

Why should that be? I didn't have very deep scratches so I can't comment. However, for deeper scraches I would assume that polishing needs to be performed over a wider area either side of the scratch? Certainly, it is labour-intensive

and quite messy, too. BUT, it is effective with this material! (cerium oxide)

David

Last edited:
I guess it would be because you are polishing that deep down you can radically change the surface of the glass in one area. Also be careful as the heat generated from using a polishing machine can also crack a windscreen. And do you mean cerium oxide?

Yes, you are correct in assuming that I must have meant "cerium oxide"! I've corrected my posts. I didn't detect any distortion but I'll agree with you about heat generation! I kept a check on things and this is also what adds to the length

of time that is needed to achieve a good result!

David

Again, I am able to give you advice based on personal experience. The powder that you will need is CERIUM OXIDE. It is available on "Ebay" in fine, medium and coarse grades. You simply make a paste with water. I purchased a large

buffing machine to make life easy. On my screen, I had a severe wide band of damage from a previous owner not replacing defective wiper-blades. I was able to completely remove all scratches and the end result was a screen that looked

like new! I need to tell you that there is quite a lot of labour involved, though. What you put in is what you get out! BUT, it 100% works! (I had been told, some time ago, by a windscreen-fitter, that nothing could ever be done to

remove scratches/wear-lines from glass) He was absolutely incorrect, there!

David

Cheers DJ , I'll have a scoot about ebay today. My Triumph needs a shed load too - its 43yr old and the windows are well and truly marked - oldly enough the side window where its been wind up and down, up and down over the years.

Did you use a drill with a buffing pad - or a professional buffer (if so what sort of speed (slow medium fast) ?)

Cheers
Jon

Cheers DJ , I'll have a scoot about ebay today. My Triumph needs a shed load too - its 43yr old and the windows are well and truly marked - oldly enough the side window where its been wind up and down, up and down over the years.

Did you use a drill with a buffing pad - or a professional buffer (if so what sort of speed (slow medium fast) ?)

Cheers
Jon

Having first put a certain contributor to this thread onto cerium oxide (I get it from a local jewellery supplies company - it's used to tumble polish gemstones and also can be used to polish out blemishes on watch glass), I'd advise that you are very cautious if you use it on the Triumph - older cars have quite soft glass.

I use a Silverline rotary polisher with a lambswool mop - use plenty of water (a spray bottle is great) and just go steady. If you use a drill with a pad be careful that you don't over apply pressure to one area. If you feel the mop drag then you're cutting too much and you'll be building up lots of heat.

A final word - if you've got fine crazing or scratching on your headlamp lenses, never try to polish them out like you're doing with the screen - all this crazing is inside the polycarbonate lenses, not on the exterior surface, so you'll be polishing merrily away and you'll achieve ****** all!

Cheers,

Michael.

Having first put a certain contributor to this thread onto cerium oxide

Now that the original contributor of this useful information is again contributing to the Forum, then there is now no need for any further contribution from myself on this particular topic.

David

jewellers rouge is good at getting light scratches out of glass.

Cerium oxide (comes in powder form) is all I'd use on glass, and even then if it's on a windscreen I'd think twice. I used it on an old Sony TV screen that my daughter scratched years ago. You need lubrication in the form of warm water and it gets incredibly messy very quickly. Having said that, it does work, but it's a long laborious process, moving the felt polishing pad to avoid excessive heat build up. After 14 years, most windscreens are past their best and need renewed.

Back