Battery tray component part no.

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Can anyone help with a part no. please. Local garage say they can't find the no. but that maybe due to it not being a purchasable item.

It's a TDi 75 and I have a space saver so the battery is covered by the L shaped plate with the space saver fixing point. At the bottom of the L shaped plate are two bolts that go into the plastic battery tray. These bolts screw into a brass insert. When I took one of the bolts out it brought out the insert as it was cross threaded (presumably on the assembly line).

Diagram and photo attached though this is without an L shaped plate but still has the two lower bolts.
Audi A2 battery bolt.jpg

Normally I might be happy to have just the one lower bolt but the L shaped plate is twisted and the corner is digging into the side of the battery so it could cause a crack.

I intend to reinsert using epoxy glue.

From the picture in Steve's link those brass inserts are used in a couple of places and probably all the same size. I'm sure you could find someone breaking a car who would remove an insert for you. Your car would then stay original which is always nice.
With a suitable bolt and nut - to lock against the insert, and possibly a bit of heat from a hot air gun, the insert should wind out fairly easily.

Cheers Spike

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. The original is knackered as I had to grip it with mole grips to remove the bolt and the process squashed and distorted it.

Spike, if someone was to remove one from a breaker that would be good. I guess they go in with a special tool as the bottom has a slot in it. Your suggested removal technique sounds great.

You are welcome to try and recover one from my spares car? This is not the first time I have heard this happen so if we find a way it will be useful to others I reckon. In the interest of forum rules I am not trying to sell anything, just lucky enough to be in a position to help a club member

Paul: that's very kind of you. Actually I'm in Trowbridge as well. If you send me a PM with your contact details I can phone you to arrange a time. I guess must of seen you around town a few times. Mines a Crystal Blue.

Would be great if you could do a scan as well. When I accelerate hard it feels like it's missing a beat or two. I suspect it's the fuel filter but it was only changed a few thousand miles ago (according to the service invoice). I don't know if a scan will help or not.

Hi Alan

Sorry for delayed response will send pm now and always happy to scan the car and help when I can.

Cheers, Paul

PaulA2 is a great guy and an ambassador for A2s

Today I met fellow enthusiast PaulA2 who was so kind as to donate a fastening from one of his 4 A2s. This means I can refit my new battery correctly.

Paul also kindly did a scan which showed a few minor glitches including sticking air-con flap but nothing to indicate why under full throttle the car was hesitating for a second every other second.

As can be expected, we swapped experiences of fuel consumption and views on the future of A2s, prices and availability of parts. Paul has 2 usable A2s and 2 Project A2s - more than enough to keep an ardent A2-er busy ;)

Thanks again Paul.

Alan

The slight hesitation could even be just due to some fuel contamination.

We had similar symptoms and after a few months the engine started to die and then the fuel filter was taken off and it was like crude oil in there. Drained the tank, flushed it out and it was perfect afterwards.

As for the error codes on the HVAC, out of the hundreds of scans I have done now 90% had HVAC warnings about sticking flaps and similar and no symptoms whatsoever, so unless you are having problems, leave things as they are.

Steve B

Today I met fellow enthusiast PaulA2 who was so kind as to donate a fastening from one of his 4 A2s. This means I can refit my new battery correctly.

Paul also kindly did a scan which showed a few minor glitches including sticking air-con flap but nothing to indicate why under full throttle the car was hesitating for a second every other second.

As can be expected, we swapped experiences of fuel consumption and views on the future of A2s, prices and availability of parts. Paul has 2 usable A2s and 2 Project A2s - more than enough to keep an ardent A2-er busy ;)

Thanks again Paul.

Alan

Hi Alan, did Paul have any difficulty removing the inserts from the donor car ?

I've not experienced the symptoms first hand but the misfire could be the start of an injector wiring harness problem.

Very nice gesture from Paul by the way

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike

Hi Alan, did Paul have any difficulty removing the inserts from the donor car ?

Together we tried 3 techniques. First, my idea to use a fret saw to cut a slot in the insert but the brass was too tough (actually I learnt this week that brass is harder than steel).

Paul then got a miniature blow torch to soften the plastic. Not to sure if this helped but the 3rd attempt used a long bolt and a nut. The nut was tightened against the insert whilst gripping the bolt head. Then the nut was reversed. First attempt simply undid the nut. Second attempt turned the insert and it screwed out.

I've not experienced the symptoms first hand but the misfire could be the start of an injector wiring harness problem.

Sounds expensive! Paul suggested some injector cleaning fluid in the fuel. I see on Halford's site that Wynn's Injector Cleaner For Diesel Engines gets a 80% recommendation though only 10 reviews. At £6 it's no big deal so long as no harm is done.

The car has done 73k in 11 years and as I said to Paul it's needed very little done to it (pads, disks, arb, tyres, bulbs, and now the battery) other than the normal service items. I suspect the shorter journeys over the last 3 years have not helped.

The slight hesitation could even be just due to some fuel contamination.

I thought of that. Maybe I will treat the car to some expensive BP Optima and at the next service have the fuel filter changed again (it was supposedly changed at the last service a few thousand miles ago).

As for the error codes on the HVAC, out of the hundreds of scans I have done now 90% had HVAC warnings about sticking flaps and similar and no symptoms whatsoever, so unless you are having problems, leave things as they are.

As I've reported before, a couple of times a year the inside of the front windscreen will suddenly become like Niagara Falls but more frequent is a very thin film of condensation that freezes and is surprisingly difficult to clear (difficult to dig into the ice with a scraper and difficult to lean across the dash and reach the screen). I've learnt to live with these given that I've read on this forum that it's an absolute pain to get at the flaps.

Hi,

The screen freezing up is not related to the flaps.

The moisture in the car settles on the glass and so on very cold nights it freezes.

There are several sources of moisture in the car.
Most common is merely the fact that in these weather conditions you often get into the car with wet or damp clothes on and that moisture gets into the fabric of the interior. As the temperature drops, the screen (being the coldest part of the interior) makes it freeze.

None of that is caused by the flaps.

Switching on the screen demister will melt the ice (slowly) and eventually dry the screen, but with all of the windows closed there is nowhere for the moisture to disappear to and so next evening if it is cold again, you get ice on the inside of the screen again.

It is horrible when you get ice on the screen because as you say you have to be a contortionist to get to it all.

I tend to open the windows just slightly when the car gets warm (after an icy screen has defrosted) that helps get rid of some of it at least.

As for the ability of the demister function, that is designed to shift small quantities of mist from the screen and not when it is water.

I am not saying that you just have to put up with it, or that there is nothing wrong with your climate control, just that there are other contributing factors.

Steve B

Thanks to Alan for the kind words, always nice to help a forum member while learning a new trick too!

Was great to meet you and hopefully the slight hesitation is a simple fix. Certainly got some options to try! Thought while driving back to work tonight that possibly mass air flow sensor starting to play up to add another thought to the mix!

I will take another threaded insert out later with a couple of pictures as a simple guide when I get chance.

Hi Alan

Should your 'misfire' troubleshooting ever point to the injector wiring harness this 'how to' may be helpful - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?20310-Diesel-Injector-Loom-Harness-Replacement

Many years ago I had the 'sudden windscreen misting' problem but the weather was not really cold so there were no ice issues. Mine turned out to be the dreaded G263 sensor fault. This was a dash removal job at the time but some of our smart members have documented ways of doing the job without touching the dash - keyhole surgery style. I'll find the thread if you ever need it.

Cheers Spike

Back