Using a later model key fob on the A2

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
HI,

To recap,

I have managed to get hold of a later model key fob and it is the part number that was recommended as one that pairs to the "AF" CCCU. it is a 8E0 837 220 K and I bought two of them and neither will work

My CCCU will simply not "recognise" the later model key.

Just to clarify that I am certainly well aware of the VCDS function for this because I have successfully coded a secondhand A2 style key to this very AF CCCU without problems. Trying from scratch again meant that both A2 style keys were recognised without problems, but the new shape key will not register as "recognised".

So I am stuck with a new shape key now that will start the car (I have matched a new immobiliser chip to the cluster) but not operate the locks remotely.

So any input from any of the "key" experts on here would be appreciated please.

The full thread I started on this subject is here
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...ng-problems-Help-please&highlight=programming

But my problem is well hidden amongst the other info on that thread (especially where I try and explain why the standard Audi programming instructions from Ross Tech don't work the same on the A2.)

Thank you
Steve B

Last edited:
How many keys do you have currently matched to the car? There is an upper limit of 4 I seem to remember.

Do you get the 'recognised' notice pop up in the VCDS bit field when programming? If not, it could be that the radio unit is goosed or the battery is flat. I've come across a lot of ebay keys where they've been sold after getting a dunking.

Hope this helps.

Michael.

Hi Mike

This would just be the third key.

It does come up with recognised when I pair an A2 style key but not with the new shape key. And I have tried two now so perhaps both are no good?
The LED light operates when buttons are pressed but that doesn't mean a lot I suppose.
I didn't want to buy a brand new fob if it is not going to pair. So I thought I would try a secondhand cheap one first.
They must both be duff if you agree that it is the right part number key fir the AF CCCU.
My worry is that the A2 is 433.9 MHz and these new shape keys just show 433 MHz. I know that the .9 makes s difference but I thought it was just that Audi rounded down the printed MHz on the new keys???

Thanks for the speedy response.
Steve B

Would rounding to the nearest number make it 434mhz seeing as its 433.9mhz?

Maybe you need a 434 key and not a 433?

All 8E0 837 220K keys operate on the correct frequency compatible with the AF CCCU as found in later models of the A2.

I know that the part number is correct - I've got mine in my pocket right now and have just flipped the blade to check.

The sure-fire way of telling it to try pairing a known to be working 220K key from another owner with your car - that will prove whether your fobs are duff or not.

Like I said, I've come across a lot of water damaged keys on ebay, being sold as working when they're actually not! To get two is unusual but not unheard of.

Cheers,

Michael.

I would agree with that analysis!!!

So I might wait until the meal next month and see if a friendly "new shape key" owner would let me try and pair their key to my AF CCCU.

Thanks for confirming that it should be compatible, at least that is something I can now exclude as a potential cause although in reality I should have already excluded that when Mustang Owner told me that his works!!

So it looks like I have two duff "K" keys that I can use for parts .
I also have the immobiliser chip that I programmed and the new blade I had cut, so it will be easy to get a working later key up and running quickly now.

All I need now is to find a working "K" key, I am not sure that a new one would be justified at about £120 or so, but I might have spent that on secondhand, non-working keys in the meantime, so perhaps it is an option I should consider?

mmmmm Decisions, decisions!

Steve B

Hi Steve I will try and remember to bring a spare new type key with me. We can then have a play before the meal.

Hi Steve I will try and remember to bring a spare new type key with me. We can then have a play before the meal.

Thanks Mike,

I will try my best to remember to give you it back once I have successfully paired it to my CCCU ;)

Honest.

Steve B

Thanks Mike,

I will try my best to remember to give you it back once I have successfully paired it to my CCCU ;)

Honest.

Steve B

Also don't forget to un-pair it - not saying that Sumo would take advantage of being able to open your car remotely, but there could be questions from your insurers should anyone gain entry to your car and they read this (which has happened in the past).

Cheers,

Michael.

Also don't forget to un-pair it - not saying that Sumo would take advantage of being able to open your car remotely, but there could be questions from your insurers should anyone gain entry to your car and they read this (which has happened in the past).

Cheers,

Michael.

Good point, but (don't tell him) I am planning on saying I lost it and NOT giving it back!!!!! ;)

Steve B

Dont know if im late to the party here but.....

Mike originally did my key for me, and I have the 220K key..... just checked.

When Mike was doing my keys I remember him having problems, because there had been previous keys matched to the car that I no longer had, which he had to clear all of them out first and then re match my 2 current keys, before it would accept radio commands

Regards

HI,

Thanks for the input, all information like that adds value.

In my case it is definitely not any of those problems because I can code 4 A2 keys to my car without problem and when I clear them out and start again the two A2 keys get recognised but the 220 K does not. So I am now pretty sure that I was unlucky enough to find TWO keys that simply don't work!!!

I am now 99% certain that with a working 220 K all will be well, thanks to the confirmations from you, Skipton and Mustang-owner.

I love the fact that this forum has enough breadth of knowledge and experience that you are not left wondering if the one "poster" actually knows what they are talking about. I have now had three experienced and knowledgeable posters confirming that with my AF CCCU the 220 K WILL work (when I find one that isn't broken!!)

Thanks to all.

Steve B

Hi Birchall,

Did you have any luck in the end as I am looking to do the same I have seen two types of 220K keys one is 434Mh and the other is 433Mh just wanted to know what key I should be looking for Mh wise?

Hi Birchall,

Did you have any luck in the end as I am looking to do the same I have seen two types of 220K keys one is 434Mh and the other is 433Mh just wanted to know what key I should be looking for Mh wise?
Hi
still unresolved (haven't had time really)

I will check the keys I have at home and let you know which ones I have.
Seeing as these don't work (and neither did Mike's work when I tried his in mine) I can only assume that the other MHz band is the right one.

I think that it needs to be 433.99 (or something like that) certainly not a whole figure like 433 or 434.
But I will let you know tonight.

Cheers
Steve B

Last edited:
My key is a 220 K part number and it is 433 MHz
It just won't pair up.

I suspect that it might be the MHz that is the problem, but as far as I know the 220 K is the one that was recommended and defi nitely working and I THINK that all 220K keys are 433 MHz.

Steve B

Thanks Steve not sure what to do now though maybe go for the 434mh and see what happens??

Unless it is the part number that ends in a K don't bother.

If you can wait a few days I have just bought another 220 K from eBay and will try that. It really could just be that the 220 K I have (both of them) are busted.

We will see.

Steve B

Ok kl well I may give it a go as well and we can both see what results we get?

Have you got the login code for your cluster so that you can reprogram the immobiliser chip in the new key?

If not once you have paired the remote function and had a new blade cut, let me know and we can meet up to sort out the chip, I have the right cable and some spare chips.

Steve B

Back