Two Toms Tackle Windy Winter Wonderland

timmus

A2OC Donor
About a month ago, myself and Tom (tagscuderia) decided to climb Helvellyn in the snow. This winter, the hills of the Lake District have been more Alpine than I've ever known them. It's not often that reaching the tops requires ice axes and crampons, but on this day, they were essential.
We left the car (Tom's beautiful Sprint Blue Storm) in Glenridding at 9am. The first few hours were fairly easy going, but once we were approaching Red Tarn, we were exposed to the 70mph winds. At first, it was our intention to ascend via Striding Edge, but the wind speed made that too dangerous, so we changed route and ascended instead via Swirral Edge. By choosing this route instead, we managed to stay out of the full force of the wind. Nevertheless, progress was very slow. Although it wasn't always snowing, the wind was picking up snow from the adjacent ridges and throwing it into our faces. During strong gusts, we simply had to hack in and lie against the face of the slope. I've never know the Lakes - a relatively benign area of mountains - to be this hostile to its guests! We reached the summit in time for a late lunch, though we didn't stop for long; it was -17°C.
Here is a selection of photos we took that day. Some were taken with my SLR, some with Tom's SLR and some with our phones. Tom and I met simply because we have a mutual appreciation of a small aluminium car, but it's nice that we now pursue other common interests together.

Just below Red Tarn, we stop for a quick bite to eat before the steep bits. Despite the deep freeze, Tom managed to put his foot in the only liquid water for miles, so a quick sock-drying session ensued.
IMG_4641.jpg

And we're off again. No need for the axe and crampons yet, but they're hanging ready for action!
IMG_1158.jpg

A quick breather to appreciate the view.
IMG_1165.jpg

The wind picks up and the snow is coming in horizontally.
IMG_1173.jpg

We reach the top and have our photo taken by another group training for an ascent of Mont Blanc.
IMG_1177.jpg

Icicles have formed in my eyebrows and facial hair, giving me something of the polar explorer look.
P1180064.jpg

The view from the top towards the Western Fells.
IMG_4662.jpg

Snow cornices are made and destroyed by the wind.
IMG_1196.jpg

Last edited:
very impressive Tom&Tom and some excellent shots taken. well done to you both for climbing up at those temperatures and with the elements against you guys. :)

Impressive & love the polar explorer look :cool:

Haha, I look so pleased to be up there in the 4th photo! It was genuinely an enjoyable day, the wind certainly added to the spectacle and redefined spindrift! Have had numerous days in Snowdonia since and none felt as exhilarating as that even though the routes were harder. Had I not had Tom's company I may well have followed the droves of people turning around and retreating to the cafes and pubs in Glenridding!
@dan, Tom's mentioned Aconcagua a couple of times and that really is tempting, highest non-technical peak in the World, no ropes required even! Ben Nevis next month though, start small I figure.

Tom's mentioned Aconcagua a couple of times and that really is tempting...

Yeah, I'd need to have a go at Aconcagua before I'd consider setting foot in the Himalayas. I have no idea how my body responds to that sort of altitude, and I reckon the Andes are the way to find out. :)

Last edited:
The picture of the snow cornice is beautiful. That must have been a breathtaking sight.

It was my first time on crampons, if you've got the gear and browse a few Glenmore Lodge YouTube vids beforehand you shouldn't be troubling mountain rescue. Got some great weather this winter (still), you should get out there!
Thankfully my A2 had her winter boots on, snow and ice on the drive up but only stepped out once.
P.S, YouTube comment was tongue in cheek. I was shocked to see kids being dragged up Snowdon last weekend in trainers and lots of people literally crawling up the tourist paths thanks to inappropriate footwear. :confused:

Last edited:
Back