Removing head restraints.

tagscuderia

N.B, removing head restraint guides.

Why is it always the small things that should take 5 seconds that pose problems? :mad:
Trying to remove the head restraints, fine with the non-locking one but the other... workshop manual says to put a screwdriver in a hole and lever but for the life of me it won't budge! What's the knack, I'm at the end of my tether.
EDIT: now it appears that I have snapped the plastic with the retainer tab on. The non-locking guide comes out as per the manual but the other is stuck steadfast, I don't get it?!
Thanks,
Tom.

Last edited:
Why is it always the small things that should take 5 seconds that pose problems? :mad:
Trying to remove the head restraints, fine with the non-locking one but the other... workshop manual says to put a screwdriver in a hole and lever but for the life of me I can't feel or see it! What's the knack, I'm at the end of my tether.
EDIT: now it appears that I have snapped the plastic with the retainer tab on. The non-locking part comes out as per the manual but the other is stuck steadfast, I don't get it. I have spares but how do I get it out now?
Thanks,
Tom.

Are you trying to remove the head restraint or the head restraint guide?

Once that is clarified we can try and help.

Steve B

I made my own removal "tool" by filing the end of a small, electrical screwdriver. I needs to be quite narrow, and have a curve at the end. When you look at a removed guide, it becomes obvious what "tool" is needed to make the removal easy. You should still be able to remove a guide, even if the tab has broken. I know this from experience. It may be that the guide is just very stiff?

David

I made my own removal "tool...".
Thanks David, you continue to impress. I've had a good go at brute forcing it so I'd be surprised if it's just stiff, hence thinking/hoping that there was a knack.
You offered a while back to help me remove the lumbar support and if that's still valid, I might have to take you up on it. I like doing the work myself so that I know that it's done properly but it seems that any interior work I'm more likely to break everything and end up tearing my hair out.
Thanks and I'll PM.
Tom.

Back