MFSW fitted!

TYP 8Z

Yesterday I was driving with this 01.jpg

Then I met up with Timmus and four hours later I drove back home with this! 02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg

Whilst installing the MFSW, Timmus also managed to install a Xcarlink Bluetooth unit, so now I can stream all my iPhone musing wirelessly. And phone-calls too :)

All I can say that this mod definitely improves the driving experience!

On top of the pleasure of now owning a MFSW I cannot thank enough Timmus for his "fastidious" attention to detail and amazing service: I never met such a talented individual with so much passion and eye for detail! Throughout the installation Timmus was patient enough to explain every step of the process and I have learn a lot just by watching and admiring his work :)

Andy

Last edited:
Andy, I like that.

Am I "reading" those photos correctly: does the mod retain your existing steering wheel but adds a new centre panel (where the horn is) which includes the MFSW buttons?

Are you willing to list part numbers and to give an idea how much it cost?

Andrew

PS He's a bit good, that Tom :)

Hi Andrew,

Yes you are indeed correct. I sourced two main things: the airbag unit with the MF buttons plus I found an old A6 steering wheel which contained the circuitry needed, which the airbag unit was actually missing.
The airbag unit with buttons was a steal on ebay.uk for £40 and it's virtually brand new! The A6 steering wheel wheel with circuit was 70 euros from Germany. And yes, I retained my existing steering wheel.
The control module, wiring, connection, soldering and the superlative installation service was provided by Timmus.

Airbag with buttons part n (as listed on the ebay) 8P0 880 201 E
A6 steering wheel with MF circuit (as listed on the ebay) 8z0419091bg

There is a good one on ebay right now even if the SW is listed as BLAU (blue) http://www.ebay.it/itm/Lederlenkrad...nkrad-Leder-8Z0419091BG-MARITME-/181468856616

Last edited:
Thank you Andy and Andrew for your kind words. Andy, I am delighted that you're so pleased with your A2's new features.

Am I "reading" those photos correctly: does the mod retain your existing steering wheel but adds a new centre panel (where the horn is) which includes the MFSW buttons?

Yes, just to confirm, you are reading the photos correctly. All A2s with 4-spoke steering wheels can be upgraded to multifunction with the correct electronics because the mountings for the electronics are already present. So, if you've got a leather steering wheel in superb condition that you'd rather keep, you needn't change it to upgrade to MFSW.

There is a good one on ebay right now even if the SW is listed as BLAU (blue) http://www.ebay.it/itm/Lederlenkrad...nkrad-Leder-8Z0419091BG-MARITME-/181468856616

Am I right in thinking that this steering wheel has a black airbag despite the wheel itself being trimmed in blue? If so, this steering wheel would be an ideal source of the necessary parts to convert your existing steering wheel, exactly as I did with Andy's. More electronics and wiring is needed within the dashboard, but I can sort that side of things. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom!

Yes, I too believe that only the leather is dark blue, whilst the airbag units itself is black. And the unit looks in very good shape...

Yes, I too believe that only the leather is dark blue, whilst the airbag units itself is black. And the unit looks in very good shape...

It does indeed appear to be in good condition. Getting the airbag, both sets of buttons, the internal electronics and the internal steering wheel looms all for 140 Euros in that sort of condition is a good deal. If anyone is tempted by a MFSW, snap this up!

I don't like talking prices on the public forum, but please feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to get an idea of total cost.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Very cool, Andrew!
I wish I have a timmus-kind-of-guy in my area! If nothing else, I'd probably have more fingers without cuts :)

Cheers,
Darko

That looks cool man, i'd love those steering wheel controls but i now have the 3 spoke steering wheel, i don't have a 4 spoke one anymore, is there a stereo controlled 3 spoke steering wheel available?

Back