Buzzing speakers

Hi all. As I have been driving a long I have noticed a buzzing from the speak in the back, Tonight I sat in the back while my wife drove and with the radio off, there is a buzzing in the little speaker near the door handle. It buzzes in time with the sparkplugs firing. Speeding up and slowing down with the engine speed. I noticed it on both back speakers. Any idea's? I cleaned the earth as suggested on the site and the car is running slightly better but still not right. Oh, and I broke the oil filler pipe. It was crispy and hard, luckily I had a similar size gas pipe which I have replaced it with. Not before it dumped a load of fresh oil on my tar driveway.

HI,

Do you have access to a VCDS scan?

I had this problem on my front tweeters. The VCDS scan showed an intermittent short.

The tweeter had not been put back in right and the insulation around the wires had broken this allowed the wire to short against the body.

Steve B

The radio is Audi Concert and is the original one for the car. No xenons fitted. I have an OBDII scanner but no VCDS. THe OBDII tells me nothing is wrong. I will pop the speakers out and check the wiring. thanks

Hi, I have the same issue.

Did you manage to get to the bottom of it? When I swapped one of mine yesterday the wires all looked fine with no exposed bits from what I can see. I also tried Steve's good suggestion of doing a scan but unfortunately it didn't come up with anything.

Thanks

Nope, no fix as yet. I have bought a suppressor and will fit it soon. However I believe that earthing is the problem as the buzzing is only one of the problems. Let me know if you find anything.
Thanks

That amp is there is you have four speakers active in your A2. It is not there if you only have front speakers on your A2.

Steve B

Thanks Steve, I have the four speakers on mine, do you think it is worth looking at the amp as a potential cause, I am sure you will have a much better idea on this than I do : )

Thanks Steve, I have the four speakers on mine, do you think it is worth looking at the amp as a potential cause, I am sure you will have a much better idea on this than I do : )
With an issue like this the first thing to do is to check all connections (including the ones on this amp AND the earth connections mentioned).

That is a "free" check.

Can an you remind me if this is a noise from one door or one speaker / tweeter in one door, or is the buzz coming through all speakers more or less.

Steve B

It could be moisture. I stupidly put a steam cleaner in my air con vent to clean it out, next thing my speakers were buzzing. I put the a/c on highest heat with all vents closed for about 30 mins. The radio needed reset as it locked itself but all the buzzing went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried swapping the teeeter for the one on the other side of the car just in case it is the tweeter itself. Unlikely but worth trying. (And you can check again to see if it is shorting out at all))

Steve B

Hi yes I did buy a replacement tweeter which I swapped over with the buzzing one, but it didn't make a difference. And the one I had originally looked perfect with no visible signs of any possible issues. I did also get the head unit out last week and did a very quick look at the connections which looked fine. I will however do this again and have a better look at it at the head unit end. Everything else from what I could see behind the door card looked really clean with the wires and connections. I was thinking the next step might be to buy a replacement amp to try swapping it to see if this helps.

Has anyone else pinpointed this Buzzing from the rear Speakers?

It's just started on my car and I reckon it's possibly been since changing the four coil packs and spark plugs.

On another thread it say's it's the four speaker amp, where is that exactly?

Cheers

Doug

Has anyone else pinpointed this Buzzing from the rear Speakers?

It's just started on my car and I reckon it's possibly been since changing the four coil packs and spark plugs.

On another thread it say's it's the four speaker amp, where is that exactly?

Cheers

Doug

The rear amp is under the drivers seat as such in the underfloor compartment , just lift up the carpet back edge under the front of the drivers seat and move the carpet forward and youl see a triangular alloy lid with 3 black toggle clips twist these 90 deg and the alloy lid will lift out ...

Thanks Jigsaw, I'll have a look and check it out!

Sorry for the late reply, close family bereavement unfortunately.

Thanks

Doug

Hi,

it would appear to be an earth fault of some kind, I connected the amp in the footwell directly to the battery earth and the buzzing stopped on the rear speakers, I don't understand this as isn't the Amp bolted onto the body and therefor earthed to the battery anyway?

Before I tried the simple stuff I tried the hard stuff first "as you do", anyway on stripping the amp down I found several dry joints on the amp chip itself and also the connector, so soldered them up with no difference, then did the old TV repair trick of squeezing the electrolyte capacitors gently one by one, there was one that changed the tone of the buzz to almost zero, it's a 2.2mf 50volt black coloured capacitor, I don't have one but will change this to see what happens.

Anyone got the circuit diagram for the Amp? That way I'll be able to see what this Cap does.

Edit Update: Changed the 2.2mf Capacitor and it lowered the buzz a little for sure but not the full fault.

I've just ran another earth from the 12volt cig lighter earth to the Amp, when this was just a touch test it stopped the buzz but now that it's soldered in place at both Amp & cig 12v earth the buzz is still there, this makes no sense? I can also take a wire from the body of the stereo CD and ground it on the seat runner and the buzz stops. My only conclusion is the suppression is being done through my body/fingers, we used to get a similar fault on TV's and VCR's.

I don't want to buy an amp yet as I still think this is an external earth or suppression problem, we'll see?

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Update on Buzzing rear speakers fix.

Cured the fault with a cheap fix!

Having a bit more spare time on my hands and trying another under floor amplifier as suggested here on forum without success I found a simple cheap fix for the buzzing rear speakers.

1. Remove the stereo unit and find the "Brown Earth lead" that should be the bottom corner of the 12 volt input connector at the back of it.

2. Disconnect the plug and check resistance from Brown input Earth lead to a known good body Earth point, if it reads 21 - 23 ohms on a resistance meter like mine then you have a fault as it should be short circuit or 0 ohms.

3. Cut or bare back that Brown Earth lead and connect another jump wire to this lead leaving the original still in the plug, remove the center air vents and cup holders by removing the two screws visible lower on each side and put your hand in the into the back of the space where the stereo sits, and push air vents forward with firmness, it will pop out.

4. Turn on the engine when you've connected the new Earth wire and get someone to listen to the rear speakers then touch the wire to any good Earth point and the buzzing sound from the rear speakers should disappear.

5. If it does, then ground this new Earth wire to the Dashboard grab handle screw torx type visible to the left hand side inside of the space, there are two screws holding the Dash grab handle where the air vent and cup holders fit as it's a good body Earth point. I bared back 2 inches of exposed copper wire from the added Earth wire and wrapped it around a partly loosened screw and then tightened it up hard.

6. Replace all you have removed making sure all wires do not foul on air vent mechanisms.

7. It is good practice to put new sponge tape to stop rattles around the air vent rear at this point, you will see this when you remove the vents as it usually crumbles in your hand, I used window seal and cut it in half lengthwise then check cup holder actions and make sure they work.

JOB DONE!!!!

Any questions just ask....

Cheers

Doug

Back