After Marked Stereo Issues

clarkey

Hi new member I have been lurking around getting help from old threads for some time, thanks for the great resource.

My wife has a 2002 A2 that when we purchased has a Sony aftermarket CD player. It never worked well failing to read most CD's and would "turn off" when the window switches were held up or down until the window reached the limit (odd I know)

I am trying to replace it with a Kenwood unit.

Using the adapter that was already in place to connect the audi loom to ISO loom then using the Kenwood ISO loom the unit does not power on. It will eject cds so it is getting power but does not seem to be getting on ignition on feed.

I have tried swapping the yellow and red wired on the kenwood ISO lead no change.

I then tried tapping the yellow wire into the red double plug to give it a constant feed. This resulted in the player working however I had to turn it on and off manually it does not work with the ignition switch.

I have done some research and it looks like the issue is the car uses the can bus to tell the cd player when to turn on and off. Does this mean I need to take a switched tap from somewher else? If this is the case though I am confused how the Sony head unit ever worked?

I will add some pictures of the connectors leads I have for the new player and the old one.

Any help would be much appreiciated.

Thank you

Hi ok thanks for info, but does anyone have any answers to question above? I assume I need an 12v switched feed?

If not if I need to replace the stereo could somone confirm model numbers that will fit?

I understand a CD player from a A2 a A6 and a MK1 TT will fit could anyone confirm the model numbers?

Thanks

The later factory units have a permanent live feed only, but no switched live feed - they are turned off and on by the CAN-BUS system and manually by the button on the front. So, for after market units which does not support this, I have needed to run in a switched live feed so that it will switch off when the ignition is switched off, and back on again.

You can use the 12V feed for the aircon unit. It's a very easy thing to do if you know how to use a soldering iron. The only con of this set up is that you have to have the ignition on for the stereo to work. If I did this today, I would look for a feed from the ignition lock. Same feed that tells the interior lights to turn on when you remove the key from the lock after having it turned on.

Here's a couple of pics from my set up. The 12V feed to the aircon is the thick white wire.
aircon-connector.jpgstereo-connector.jpg

That's excellent thanks for the advice and pictures I will investigate the air con control supply wire.

Back