Northern A2 meet.

chb

After enjoying the meet up in Birmingham in March, I did say to a few that "it would be lovely to have a meet further North".
In the spirit of believing that if it matters, then do it yourself I thought I would kick some ideas around and gauge interest levels for a meet up in sunny/rainy/hail/sleet (delete as appropriate) Yorkshire.
If its good enough for the Tour de France then its good enough for A2OC.

Not sure on dates or even venue. But for me it would need to include:
Activity
Bit of driving round on lovely Yorkshire/Lancashire roads
Park up somewhere pretty/historic for pictures
Meal

So as a starter for ten....

http://kwvr.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttertubs_Pass

http://saltsmill.org.uk/

http://shimlaspice.co.uk/

That would encompass one of the UK's best roads, with the "official" UK best curry, with one of the oldest testaments to our great industrial past.

Ideas and interest welcome.

Would also be lovely to have some overseas and folk south of Watford Gap turn up and sample our hospitality and proper beer (though not if driving!)

:)

I think that sounds like a great idea. I originally emigrated from south of watford gap some years ago. I still speak the language innit.
Your planned day sounds great. I never tire of visiting Salts Mill.

Reactions: chb
We would definitely not miss this!

That combination ticks all the boxes in my view. Saltsmill is one of my favourite locations - although think the parking may be difficult unless we were able to get reserved area? Happy to research anything.

Hilary

We would be up for it ... gives us chance to catch up with a few other friends in leeds ... we lived in killingbeck for 12 months when we were working in the old vickers tank factory ... loved it up there ... also gives me chance to buy that drink i owe you ...

Last edited:
Reactions: chb
Dave...I thought the idea was to show the good bits of Yorkshire :)
Just Googled Frog and Ferret...I closed down last month. So it appears the denizens of Grimthorpe were not fans.
Hilary: if parking at Salts Mill is a difficulty then where else might we go? Trying hard to think of places you can stick 20 cars that has a nice backdrop and stuff to see.

Depending on the date count me in too. Saltaire and Salts Mill is a great location however surely the dining should be fish and chips? I have nothing against Curry and apreciate it has become an adopted national dish albeit for health reasons I cannot eat it. Although the original Harry Ramsden's (which is not too far from Saltaire) closed a couple of years ago I believe there is still a fish restaurant on the site. For those not familiar, Saltaire Village is a World Heritage site and there is a nearby Victorian Cable tram which runs onto Bailden Moor. Depending on your interests the Hockney gallery in Salts Mill is always worth a visit too. For those unfamilar with Bradfords motoring history it was the home of Jowett cars and Scott motorcycles and the last city to operate trolley buses in the UK.

Its a good point about parking in Saltaire. How about Temple Newsam house or Harewood house both not far from Leeds?

I still think Saltaire is a great idea and worth exploring parking options. Just wondering whether we could use one of the business car parks at the back of the Mill building? They are private car parks (and probably locked) but always empty at the weekends. Could we find out from A2Sumo how he approaches this type of thing?

Another positive for Saltaire is the location is great for a drive out onto the moor that Conrad mentioned.

Hilary

There is a car park by the school adjacent to the access to Shipley glen tram (about 5 mins walk, 10 mins stroll from Salts Mill) which is rarely if ever full. Otherwise in my experience on-street parking is usually ok albeit I always park on the Roberts park side of the river and walk into Saltaire and the mill.

We live in York, we'd be up for a road trip across the dales! Can't do anything in April, but May is a possibility! We'll check back here for updates :)
Ps not been up here long, moved up from the South West!

its good that its more central :) so if i dont have any plans around the guestimated date/time i dont see why i cant make it.

cammy

Back