My New A2

Segzerati

Hi everyone!

So I picked up my new A2 the other day! Yay!

It's a nice car, but there are a few issues, which I would like advice with:

1. The turbo charger cuts out on the motorway, as soon as I approach 70mph. It works again as soon as I restart, and is good all around town.

2. There's a rattle/knocking from underneath the car when driving, particularly when pulling away, driving on rough roads, or going round right handed bends, but it seems to calm down while cruising or going round left handed bends.

3. It would appear the radio's been switched out for a Chorus 1. In the drop down menu for choosing my sound system on this forum, I found that Chorus 1 wasn't an option, but that's what I have. This means I'm having problems getting my aux adaptor to work, leaving me with not even a CD player, but a tape player only!! There's room for the CD changer plug in the back, but there's no way to select the CD changer in front. Any ideas how this could work?

4. There's an issue with the climate control. It only provides heat on the "Hi" setting. Anything from 29 and below blows cold air, which isn't ideal in this weather!

5. The previous owner has reversed into a pole, damaging the boot lid, spoiler and bumper! Is the spoiler replaceable individually? Would the boot lid be easy to repair? Or should I just cut my losses and get a replacement boot lid from the breakers' yard?

There! Has anyone got any advice for me? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Segun

Hi everyone!

So I picked up my new A2 the other day! Yay!

It's a nice car, but there are a few issues, which I would like advice with:

1. The turbo charger cuts out on the motorway, as soon as I approach 70mph. It works again as soon as I restart, and is good all around town.
You need to have a VCDS scan, if you are ever in the Staines area / Heathrow, let me know and I will scan it for you to see what error codes there are. (It MIGHT be an air leak on the intercooler)

2. There's a rattle/knocking from underneath the car when driving, particularly when pulling away, driving on rough roads, or going round right handed bends, but it seems to calm down while cruising or going round left handed bends. If you do pop over I can have a listen and see if I can tell what it is. It may well be the Anti Roll Bar bushes or the drop links)

3. It would appear the radio's been switched out for a Chorus 1. In the drop down menu for choosing my sound system on this forum, I found that Chorus 1 wasn't an option, but that's what I have. This means I'm having problems getting my aux adaptor to work, leaving me with not even a CD player, but a tape player only!! There's room for the CD changer plug in the back, but there's no way to select the CD changer in front. Any ideas how this could work? Not my area of knowledge but I am sure someone will be along shortly.

4. There's an issue with the climate control. It only provides heat on the "Hi" setting. Anything from 29 and below blows cold air, which isn't ideal in this weather!
The scan for error codes will also help here

5. The previous owner has reversed into a pole, damaging the boot lid, spoiler and bumper! Is the spoiler replaceable individually? Would the boot lid be easy to repair? Or should I just cut my losses and get a replacement boot lid from the breakers' yard?
I think a secondhand one from eBay may be the best plan, I have seen a few on there lately and at a reasonable price

There! Has anyone got any advice for me? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Segun

Welcome !!!

Depending on how far from Heathrow you are you can pop over and I will have a look.

You will find us a friendly bunch and I am sure that the A2 will get under your skin very quickly (especially with these issues sorted)

Enjoy

Steve B

Hi Segun, welcome to A2OC. :)

It seems your car is going into 'limp mode', as it's known. It's most likely being caused by a boost leak. The air pressure being created by the turbo is escaping somewhere. A split intercooler is a common cause of this problem. Given that you have a 2001 A2 with plenty of miles on the clock, this seems a probable explanation.

2. There's a rattle/knocking from underneath the car when driving, particularly when pulling away, driving on rough roads, or going round right handed bends, but it seems to calm down while cruising or going round left handed bends.

The anti-roll bar bushes on early cars are of a stupid design. The drop links are also a known weakness. I'd get a garage to inspect both.

3. It would appear the radio's been switched out for a Chorus 1. In the drop down menu for choosing my sound system on this forum, I found that Chorus 1 wasn't an option, but that's what I have. This means I'm having problems getting my aux adaptor to work, leaving me with not even a CD player, but a tape player only!! There's room for the CD changer plug in the back, but there's no way to select the CD changer in front. Any ideas how this could work?

The Chorus 1 was an option on the A2. It has no ability to select an external input; that option was reserved for the more feature-packed Concert 1 (which is also a tape player). If you want an external input or a built-in CD player, you either have to upgrade to the Concert 1 or buy a Concert 2. The Concert 2 (often written as Concert II) is a CD player (see this photo: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10685&d=1349106291), but the wiring behind the stereo will need to be updated to support this stereo.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Back