Climate control button replacement

DarkHorse

A2OC Donor
Hi everyone,

Perhaps this has already been discussed somewhere, but I just thought I'd post my experience of changing the buttons across from an Audi A4 B5 Avant 2.8 Quattro Facelift Climate Controle module 2Din 8D0820043Q (the image of the entire unit is the donor one - I did not remove my one at all).

Bought off Ebay for £15, it looked like an easy straight swap.

I used a couple of Stanley blades to lift out the existing buttons in my A2 with zero damage to fascia. Could not do this with the donor unit. The buttons were in really tight and, just as other posters have said, you do need to be quite forceful with some of the buttons to get them out.

The rocker switches, Auto, Off and recirculate buttons all went straight in and worked fine. However the remaining buttons on either side of the unit, once pushed into place, remained completely depressed and would not have any movement.

Thought I'd drawn a dud donor unit. I just could not see what the problem was until I noticed a small depression a few mm deep on my existing buttons when compared to the donor ones (see photos). Broke out a 3mm drill bit, replicated the depression, and hey presto, the buttons slid into place and now allow the movement required to let the buttons be depressed and pop back.

Quite simple in the end really, but I don't know why there was such a design difference when everything else is identical. Hopefully this can help someone down the line, and hopefully I haven't just replicated a post by someone else. I did a search but couldn't find one relating to the stuck buttons.

Really pleased with the replacement buttons, glad I did it. At night the unit just looked a complete mess, now everything is crystal clear, and the surface treatment looks like it will last a lot longer than the originals.

Attachments

• CC_01_button_detail.jpg
    CC_01_button_detail.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 822
  • CC_02_night.jpg
    CC_02_night.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 849
  • CC_03_donor_unit.jpg
    CC_03_donor_unit.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 787
Quite simple in the end really, but I don't know why there was such a design difference when everything else is identical. Hopefully this can help someone down the line, and hopefully I haven't just replicated a post by someone else. I did a search but couldn't find one relating to the stuck buttons.

As for replicating an existing post, no need to worry about that, it is far better to have two people posting instead of none!! So no need to worry about duplication, that is easily resolved.

As for the problem you experienced, I would be interested to know what year the A4 was because I have changed a few of these and didn't have the problem.

But as you say, just in case someone else has this problem I will add it to the "how to" list.

Thanks for the contribution.

Steve B

As for replicating an existing post, no need to worry about that, it is far better to have two people posting instead of none!! So no need to worry about duplication, that is easily resolved.

As for the problem you experienced, I would be interested to know what year the A4 was because I have changed a few of these and didn't have the problem.

But as you say, just in case someone else has this problem I will add it to the "how to" list.

Thanks for the contribution.

Steve B

Hi Steve,

I have just heard from the seller. He said it was an A4 B5 2000 final model.

Just struck me as odd to have such a slight variation on only those buttons. At least they work though. For a moment I thought I was stuffed!

I found something similar when exchanging buttons between Symphony II head units. Although identical at first glance, there were minor differences between just a few of the buttons. I believe I was trying to use an A4 Symphony II as a donor for an A2 Symphony II, though it was a while ago so I can't remember precisely. Either way, just be aware that the button design can vary slightly in places normally out of sight.

Cheers,

Tom

Well the misses let me have an hour on the car, so I thought I'd change the 'Climate Control Buttons' on my A2 Symphony II. Like DarkHorse I used Stanley blades to flick out the old ones and in with the new. I used an A4 (2000) donor unit off eBay (£20) and all fitted perfectly. Model/Part No of the donor unit shown below for reference.

IMG_20150403_113916.jpg

Last edited:
a quick thanks to everyone for the accumulated advice and notes. I've just replaced the 'inner' climate control buttons with some from a cheap as chips A4 donor unit. The twin Stanley blade method works a treat in no time. Result: no longer nervous about changing the temperature! And the colour difference is nowhere near as noticeable as a feared

Cheers A2oc!

Richard

a quick thanks to everyone for the accumulated advice and notes. I've just replaced the 'inner' climate control buttons with some from a cheap as chips A4 donor unit. The twin Stanley blade method works a treat in no time. Result: no longer nervous about changing the temperature! And the colour difference is nowhere near as noticeable as a feared

Cheers A2oc!

Richard

Glad it worked out for you. It's always nice to be able to see which button you're pressing in the dark!

Great advice guys,

My A4 B5 eBay donor unit arrive today and I can confirm its a 20-3- minute climate control unit facelift. The difference in colour is only noticeable as I'm conscious of it. It looks so much better than before and well worth the effort. Is there a similarly priced quick facelift for the ASR button, Headlight switch and the drivers door window switches. I'd rather not take the sticker route.

Thanks again,

Tom

Great advice guys,

My A4 B5 eBay donor unit arrive today and I can confirm its a 20-3- minute climate control unit facelift. The difference in colour is only noticeable as I'm conscious of it. It looks so much better than before and well worth the effort. Is there a similarly priced quick facelift for the ASR button, Headlight switch and the drivers door window switches. I'd rather not take the sticker route.

Thanks again,

Tom

Hi,

I bought a replacement door central locking switch from Sarge. I posted a fit that does not require removal of the door card here:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?28681-Replacing-central-locking-buttons

Back