Audi A2 2004 1.4 Sport keeps blowing coil packs

NooshCV

Hello,

Hoping a more knowledgable person in the community can assist?

My Audi A2 2004 1.4 petrol sport has developed a misfire, plugged it into a diagnostic and it said cylinder 4 was misfiring, so changed the coil and plug. Fine for 30 mins, then same issue and said fault code P0302, cylinder 2 misfiring, so changed the coil and plug. Fine for half a mile test drive, then bang, same fault again. Now saying P0303, cylinder 3 misfire. We are going to change the remaining cyl 3 and 1 coil and plug. But I am worried that this might be suggestive of a more serious problem?

Would anyone be able to advise whether it's common that they go literally one after the other? Or if something more serious could be going on to make them blow?

Thank you

I don't believe the 1.4 engine has individual coil packs. Mine doesn't. The 1.6 engine has individual coil packs.

I'm pretty sure the AUA 1.4 engine has the combined coil pack, and the BBY 1.4 engine has individual coil packs, similar to the 1.6 BAD engine. I suspect the OP has the latter.

Regarding what could be causing the coil packs to blow, I'm totally unsure, unfortunately.

Regards,

Matt.

HI,

I m not sue that there is any evidence that the coil packs are failing, yes you are getting misfire errors, but how are you determining that the coil packs are the cause?

Yes, sometimes changing them disturbs connections and temporarily could correct a fault. But if the misfire returns it could be that the coil was not the cause in the first place?

A VCDS scan would give you some error codes that we can investigate.

Until you know the cause I wouldn't spend even more money on coil packs.

Steve B

Back